Research explores cigar wrapper tobacco as cash crop for mountain farmers

• El Presidente changed the title to Research explores cigar wrapper tobacco as cash crop for mountain farmers

Very interesting. Serious project to figure out if it can be done. Growing high quality wrapper is the hardest thing to do in all of tobacco farming. Typically, there's a reason why it isn't grown in certain places. Wrapper has been a valuable crop for 200 years and so far only the Connecticut River valley has been able to produce it. 

My guess is that it's unlikely to be feasible.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Very interesting. Serious project to figure out if it can be done. Growing high quality wrapper is the hardest thing to do in all of tobacco farming. Typically, there's a reason why it isn't grown in certain places. Wrapper has been a valuable crop for 200 years and so far only the Connecticut River valley has been able to produce it. 

I am just a softie.......I love people having a serious crack. God bless them and I wish them every success :thumbsup:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

There is now sun grown wrapper grown in central Florida, it's used in FSG cigars (Florida Sun Grown). Granted FL is nothing like NC...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Enduin said:

There is now sun grown wrapper grown in central Florida, it's used in FSG cigars (Florida Sun Grown). Granted FL is nothing like NC...

The owner of Corona Cigar Company, Jeff Borysiewicz, is growing the Florida sun grown tobacco on his farm in Clermont FL.

I’ve had the FSG cigar, it’s OK and has very little Florida tobacco only in the filler.  If you really want to experience the FSG tobacco, try the JC Newman American cigar, it uses the FSG wrapper and is an excellent, full flavour cigar.

• Like 2

NC is perfect for growing tobacco & has a long & storied history doing so, with commercial cultivation starting sometime shortly after VA's 1st crop back in 1612.

I love to see this, as rural Ag in appalachia is tough (as in any areas).

3 hours ago, OrangePaw said:

The owner of Corona Cigar Company, Jeff Borysiewicz, is growing the Florida sun grown tobacco on his farm in Clermont FL.

I’ve had the FSG cigar, it’s OK and has very little Florida tobacco only in the filler.  If you really want to experience the FSG tobacco, try the JC Newman American cigar, it uses the FSG wrapper and is an excellent, full flavour cigar.

I was very intrigued by the FSG and the JC American, mostly because I live in central FL fairly close to Clermont so it was just cool. Then I read the dreaded "pepper" descriptor is almost all the reviews and I lost most of my interest. Then I looked at the sizes and I lost whatever was left of my interest... I wish them the best of luck with this endeavor and I'm hoping if they succeed that something in the sub 50RG range and with different blends (read: no "pepper") will come out as well! 

On 7/29/2021 at 2:42 PM, Enduin said:

Have you ever heard of North Carolina Man? Didn't think so. My point still stands. 🤣

(for non US people, google "Florida Man")

Never underestimate what Florida Man is capable of...

Pretty cool.  I think it would be fun to try and grow some tobacco as houseplants.  Roll a few gnarly old hogs each year...

I think it wonderful when someone goes against the convention of “It can’t be done”. Worked for a Hungarian immigrant named Nick who always went against the “Naysayers”.

best of luck to these young men, I hope they succeed and help out these rural farmers. Thanks for the wonderful article @Elpresidente !