RH difference between tupperdoors and coolerdor

smbauerllc

So, I have 7 Sistema Klip It tupperdors with 65% bovedas and all always read a steady 65% and 68 to 70 degrees.

I also have a 74qt Iris weatherproof (lid has a gasket) plastic container, and it also reads 70 degrees currently, but 70% rh, even though it has been steady at 65% for a couple weeks once I got my Heartfelt beads adjusted properly.

The air conditioning is on the fritz since yesterday, so the temperature in my room is 75 degrees and 65% humidity (unusually high for Wyoming, but its been drizzling the last couple days)

My question is: why is my coolerdor rh so much higher than my tupperdors at the same temperature inside and out, and the same room rh (which shouldn't matter since it should be airtight with the gasket and 6 clips to latch it, unlike my tupperdors which have no gasket, but seem to be airtight anyway)?

Tupperdors are all around 50 to 75% full of loose cigars, and coolerdor has 2 empty cedar boxes and 2 full ones, as well as a large cedar tray, for stabilization. I'd call it 1/4 full roughly.

Why would the only one with an airtight gasket read higher than the tupperdors without, and read even higher than the outside humidity?

Coolerdor has 2 tested, accurate within 1%, hygrometers in it currently.

I'm at a loss as to what's going on here with the coolerdor.

Rh drops to 65% with the lid off, but climbs back to 70% quickly as soon as I put the lid back on.

Any ideas?

Fwiw, this is my first time using Heartfelt beads as I was generously given a pound of them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Does the cooledor have a rubber gasket or a foam gasket?

I have a Ziplock box that has a foam gasket with 4 clamps and it doesn't keep the RH nearly as well as the Sistema Klip It boxes, which by the way DO have a gasket, if you look under the lid it's a thin blue rubber gasket.

The bottom line is that rubber gaskets are a lot more airtight than foam gaskets, so if your cooledor has a foam gasket that could explain what is happening as it's getting moisture both from the room and the beads.

• Like 1

The coolerdor has a foam gasket, but is still advertised as airtight and weatherproof (for whatever that's worth).
Also it held perfect rh for the last couple weeks just fine, regardless of room temperature and rh, just like the sistemas.

You are correct, the sistemas do have a rubber gasket. Somehow never noticed that in the year or so I have been using them, lol

Assuming you are correct about the gasket differences, why were all fine at 65% regardless of room temp and rh until just now? The beads should be able to easily absorb any excess moisture easily since they are all almost completely white.

This isn't the first time the a/c has gone out, and there was no problem with any of them the other times.

I can guarantee that the foam is not airtight in spite of what they advertise. Being in FL the RH inside my house is always too low (when the AC is on) or too high (during the cooler months when the AC is off) and the box I have with the foam gasket fluctuates quite a bit following the RH inside the house! I also suspect that foam gaskets get worse over time because I noticed that after a couple of years when I take the lid off the foam maintains a groove where the box lip presses against it.

With the lid off for a while now both hygrometers I have in it are reading the same as the room rh now.

Just don't get why the rh spiked so much even though the temperature inside remained reading 70 degrees like it hr as since i got it and the same as my tupperdoors with bovedas that didn't spike.

Just seems very odd and I'm at a loss for an explanation

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2021 at 8:37 AM, smbauerllc said:

Rh drops to 65% with the lid off, but climbs back to 70% quickly as soon as I put the lid back on.

Any ideas?

Fwiw, this is my first time using Heartfelt beads as I was generously given a pound of them.

It's the cigars or the beads. Humidity has to come from somewhere. Outside air can't make the inside of the cooler more humid than the outside. Most likely something off with the beads (or less likely some very humid cigars).

There's a guy in the following thread that has his cooler go to 68-70% after adding water to the beads, he has to leave them out for a bit until they dry off for the cooler to maintain 65%.

• Like 1

My spike only lasted the 1 day, so no idea what the cause was, but been steadily 65-68% ever since.
Still only has 150 Cigars in it with 75 more on their way, and another 85 in October, and another 75 in November planned, so its getting there.

Its my understanding that the rh will be more stable with it about 3/4 full of Cigars.

40 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

My spike only lasted the 1 day, so no idea what the cause was, but been steadily 65-68% ever since.

Could be the temperature, the beads are apparently less stable in humidity over temperature range than bovedas.

• Like 1

Could be the temperature, the beads are apparently less stable in humidity over temperature range than bovedas.
I think they definitely are. My tupperdoors with bovedas never change with temperature changes in my room, but with the beads I can see it increase as temperature decreases on the graphs overnight.

• Like 2