I am refilling tonight.¬† Why do my expensive lighters give me such a hard time with a good fill while my cheap ones perform perfectly?¬†¬†ūü§Ē

9 minutes ago, therealrsr said:

I am refilling tonight.¬† Why do my expensive lighters give me such a hard time with a good fill while my cheap ones perform perfectly?¬†¬†ūü§Ē

Do you always make sure to purge the remnants of the tank before attempting to refill? If there is air in the tank, the butane won't fill properly.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

Do you always make sure to purge the remnants of the tank before attempting to refill? If there is air in the tank, the butane won't fill properly.

I do purge and I get them to fill, eventually.  It's more a relative observation about bang for the buck.  thanks for the idea though, always appreciated.

At least it isn’t the XXtreme lighter. Such a rushed sad piece of engineering.

The regular Extreme works like a charm as long as you purge as others have stated. Avoid the XXtreme lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Don't forget to adjust the level of flame too. That can make a big difference to things!

I turn it all the way down before filling.  just something I read or was told though.  Better way?

In my experience expensive lighters work well until they don't. Cheap lighters work less well but last longer. 

The only cheap lighter that works well and lasts forever is the mid-size Eagle Torch which is the only lighter I use anymore. Been burned (no pun intended) by Colibri and Xikar too many times.

• Like 4

Couldn’t agree with you more. I’ve settled on Bugatti. Works everytime no mess, no refill troubles, and great flame. They use refill cartridges which last 3-4 weeks of moderate use  

https://bugattilighters.com

I have one of each and typically travel with the Mirage and leave the Vulcan for the deck. 

• Like 3

On my MiniJet I push it for 3 seconds and then pull it out and do the same about 3 or 4 times and it fills fine but if I just hold it down the whole time it never fully fills as well. In and out a few times for a few seconds each time has always remedied lighters that don’t fill easily for me. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that, somehow it always held me back from buying a "expensive" lighter when my 20 euro Amazon set with a triple and single flame or even the torches I get when I order cigars work good. They do what they are designed for, lighting a cigar to enjoy. If I would buy a "expensive" lighter it would be a Porsche Design 3632 flat flame.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn VOG-L29 met Tapatalk

8 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

In my experience expensive lighters work well until they don't. Cheap lighters work less well but last longer. 

The only cheap lighter that works well and lasts forever is the mid-size Eagle Torch which is the only lighter I use anymore. Been burned (no pun intended) by Colibri and Xikar too many times.

I use only Eagle Torch. Have in various sizes and have had for years. Probably spent $50.00 total at local convenience store on all them. My expensive lighters all went into trash can. 

Theres definitely Something about the older butane gets the less effective it becomes in your lighter. Had similar issues and even tossed a couple cheap refillables then bought a new canister of butane, filled it up and immediately had better results.

19 minutes ago, TheFullMontecristo said:

Theres definitely Something about the older butane gets the less effective it becomes in your lighter. Had similar issues and even tossed a couple cheap refillables then bought a new canister of butane, filled it up and immediately had better results.

I had not considered this, thanks.

• Like 1

Could try freezing the lighter before the fill.  I always do this before filling liquid co2 tanks and they hold substantially more.  Have read the same is true for butane lighters, although I haven't tried it.

• Like 2

I am sold on Xikar lighters. I just retired my second Element lighter after several years of use. Still works but one burner does not have the amount of flame that the other one has. Just purchased the newer version ELX off Ebay. Still about $50 USD after all these years. I know Xikar has been bought out by Quality Importers, but so far the new lighter is good. Very strong dual flame torches. I have always used Xikar brand butane in these lighters and never an issue. I kept the old one as a faithful backup as it never hurts to have a spare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, jbosma said:

Could try freezing the lighter before the fill.  I always do this before filling liquid co2 tanks and they hold substantially more.  Have read the same is true for butane lighters, although I haven't tried it.

I've tried this.  It is VERY minimally more.  Not worth the effort.

I get a lot of use out of my lighters and I use several different brands. In my experience so long as I properly purge them between fills, I've had zero issues with reliability. And I'm not exactly gentle with any of them.

• Like 3

My most reliable lighter is one that was branded later as the Rocky Patel Chairman.  It's cool too.  You can unscrew the lighter out of the tube and use the tube as a cigar holder.  Or leave it in the tube as a full size table top.  Perfect for taking one big cigar to the golf course.  Hard to lose in the golf cart.  5 jets and works all the time.  I've had it for about 10 years or more.

image.jpeg.e9f0d73879f6084ce04f79194520e7c6.jpegimage.jpeg.8d70a1de6a5b4fffe70c6a29bfdba24d.jpegimage.jpeg.01b9cacf264f7f79680701dbc79603c0.jpeg

8 hours ago, KCCubano said:

I use only Eagle Torch. Have in various sizes and have had for years. Probably spent $50.00 total at local convenience store on all them. My expensive lighters all went into trash can. 

And at $6, you don't worry about dropping/losing/breaking them. And the huge tank is nice. Even a large tank on a luxury lighter is going to need a refill after a day of heavy use. I wish the mid-size was a tad smaller but it's not that bad. For some reason I find the small Eagle Torch far less reliable than the mid-size. I have no experience with the large one but it's huge and too big for your pocket. 

16 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

And at $6, you don't worry about dropping/losing/breaking them. And the huge tank is nice. Even a large tank on a luxury lighter is going to need a refill after a day of heavy use. I wish the mid-size was a tad smaller but it's not that bad. For some reason I find the small Eagle Torch far less reliable than the mid-size. I have no experience with the large one but it's huge and too big for your pocket. 

Mine are all either the large gun torch which are $14.00 for 4 on Amazon or smaller angle Eagle torch with safety caps at end. 

The black can Xikar butane without question is the best butane I have ever had and I have tried at least a dozen different brands over the years. They have it nailed with this version and the flame burns larger than other butanes do. I find their lighters to be mediocre at best but this butane is top notch. My S.T. DuPont MiniJet burns a better flame with it and so do my regular flame lighters. $10 for the large can is well worth the price. Xikar got one thing right because their lighters and cutters are sub par. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are times when I have had to purge all the fuel out and refill to get them to fill properly. Also, as mentioned, purge the air After filling.

• Like 1