Hotels become hospitals as Cuba battles soaring COVID cases

HAVANA (AP) — Cuba’s hot spot for COVID-19 infections has shifted to the central province of Ciego de Avila, where officials are converting hotels into hospitals. Instead of tourists, officials say the Hotel Ciego de Avila will hold up to 240 low-risk pediatric patients, while the Las Canas Motel will have 53 beds for pregnant women with the coronavirus. They are also ordering isolation of whole households when a virus is detected. Cuba’s director of epidemiology said Wednesday that the province accounted for 23 of the 98 new deaths from COVID-19 recorded the previous day in the country of 11 million people.

https://kwwl.com/2021/08/04/hotels-become-hospitals-as-cuba-battles-soaring-covid-cases/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I am beginning to hear murmurings of case numbers levelling and maybe dropping in Havana as the vaccine rollout in Havana is ahead of most of the rest of the country. I hope the rumours are true.

I was talking to a friend in Havana last night. Her husband tested positive yesterday and that's after his third dose of Abdala vaccine. Through vaccine-breakthrough cases happen with any vaccine, I hope the Cuban vaccines work as they have been described to work.

He's not that unwell with it, he's a fit man. She has MS and has been told she cannot receive the vaccine because of her condition. So she and her daughter have to isolate for six days with tests every day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Doesn't look good.

MINSAP reports the highest number of deaths from Covid-19 for one day in Cuba
With 98 new deaths and 9,363 more infections, the official figures reach 3,091 deaths and 422,614 cases in 17 months of the pandemic.

DDC Havana 04 Aug 2021 

https://diariodecuba.com/cuba/1628097518_33158.html

Cuba registered a record of deaths from Covid-19 for one day on Wednesday, with 98 deaths, including a three-year-old girl, and exceeded 3,000 officially recognized deaths since March 2020, reaching 3,091.

Likewise, the Cuban Ministry of Public Health (MINSAP) reported for the fourth day in a row more than 9,000 infections a day, after closing on Tuesday, August 3, with 9,363 new positives, for a total of 422,614 to date.

Cuba's incidence rate, with a population of 11.2 million people, is now 1,141 per 100,000 inhabitants, one of the highest in the world, according to PAHO. Among the new infections there are 1,893 children under 20 years of age, including 1,761 in pediatric ages (up to 18 years). This is the highest number of infected in pediatric ages reported in one day in Cuba. Of that total, 103 are infants and 55 are less than six months old.

The most complex situation in the day is presented by Havana, with 1,445 cases, followed by Ciego de Ávila and Cienfuegos, which also exceeded a thousand patients, with 1,192 and 1,032, respectively.

• Sad 2

I know, I've been looking at the numbers, they've exploded since June.

Given the population density of Havana though, the numbers there are comparatively low. To use a comparison, Ireland, also an Island (kind of), also with only one city with population over 1 million. Almost half of the Covid cases in Ireland have been in Dublin, with one quarter of the population.

I know cases coming in through Varadaro have skewed the numbers in Cuba though. And Havana has more access to basic hygiene than much of rural Cuba.

This is a crazy number:

Cuba's incidence rate, with a population of 11.2 million people, is now 1,141 per 100,000 inhabitants, one of the highest in the world,

For those in the States, you can take a look at the incidence rate of any County by zooming in on the map at www.c19explorer.io Hotspots in the states are currently in the low 100’s. Ten times that number with a more fragile healthcare system is scary. 

the referenced website does not play well on Explorer. Use chrome, Firefox for functionality 

The incidence rate may even be higher as I would expect under reporting from the regime . One main source coming from Russian tourists arriving at Gomez airport infecting staff there  and on to Varadero resort workers. Cuba desperately needs an mRNA Vaccine. So does Russia for that matter. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, helix said:

The incidence rate may even be higher as I would expect under reporting from the regime . One main source coming from Russian tourists arriving at Gomez airport infecting staff there  and on to Varadero resort workers. Cuba desperately needs an mRNA Vaccine. So does Russia for that matter. 

Eventually, hopefully sooner rather than later, people / Governments will realize this is not a National problem and addressing it as a National problem will not get us out of this any time soon. 

• Like 2

On 8/5/2021 at 9:54 PM, Rhinoww said:

Ten times that number with a more fragile healthcare system is scary. 

Many lefties in the U.S. always say how Cuba's healthcare system is "among the best in the world." 

3 hours ago, HerrHonaker said:

Many lefties in the U.S. always say how Cuba's healthcare system is "among the best in the world." 

I've heard right handed people say it too. I dont know what handedness has to do with it?

The truth is, they punch well above their weight class. It certainly isn't a perfect system, but it works. I've never had to deal with it, but I know at least a half dozen members that have. They're all still here. They had a lower infant mortality rate than the US, Canada, or the UK in 2019. Far lower levels of Obesity, Heart Disease, and Diabetes than the US. Almost the exact same life expectancy at birth. Despite the fact the government cant maintain a steady supply of healthy foods. The Outcomes look pretty solid to me. Maybe every number they've ever published is a lie, but this would be their best kept(really only) secret if true. 

Just because we waste a few trillion dollars a year on our system doesn't make it the best in the world. Granted, most "Health" problems in the United States are actually lifestyle problems. So our "healthcare" system has to work A Lot harder than it should. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

I've heard right handed people say it too. I dont know what handedness has to do with it?

The truth is, they punch well above their weight class. It certainly isn't a perfect system, but it works. I've never had to deal with it, but I know at least a half dozen members that have. They're all still here. They had a lower infant mortality rate than the US, Canada, or the UK in 2019. Far lower levels of Obesity, Heart Disease, and Diabetes than the US. Almost the exact same life expectancy at birth. Despite the fact the government cant maintain a steady supply of healthy foods. The Outcomes look pretty solid to me. Maybe every number they've ever published is a lie, but this would be their best kept(really only) secret if true. 

Just because we waste a few trillion dollars a year on our system doesn't make it the best in the world. Granted, most "Health" problems in the United States are actually lifestyle problems. So our "healthcare" system has to work A Lot harder than it should. 

Perhaps the far lower levels of obesity, diabetes and heart disease is partially attributed to the fact that the general population has barely any food to eat for sustenance and now many are starving. No thanks, I'll remain in the USA. Are we a perfect country? Hell no, but there are millions of people from all corners of the world that want to live here. I don't know any Americans wanting to defect and move to Cuba.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NYgarman said:

Perhaps the far lower levels of obesity, diabetes and heart disease is partially attributed to the fact that the general population has barely any food to eat for sustenance and now many are starving.

There is obesity in Cuba as they eat mostly "trash food", loads of bread and greasy Pizza etc - and lots of illnesses as well, never seen a country  ( at least in Havana ) with so many asthma cases and respiratory problems ( from all the humidity and pollution ).

As for the Cuban health system being good or "working" - that's a bad joke.

It works ONLY for us foreigners paying hard currency at the Cira Garcia ( the foreigners only HAV hospital) - for Cubans it is a terrible system that they ONLY complain about - and there are no medicines, not even the most basic.

Whenever I read or hear "the Cuban health/education or whatever system" is "great" or "working" I get an allergy ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NYgarman said:

Perhaps the far lower levels of obesity, diabetes and heart disease is partially attributed to the fact that the general population has barely any food to eat for sustenance and now many are starving. No thanks, I'll remain in the USA. Are we a perfect country? Hell no, but there are millions of people from all corners of the world that want to live here. I don't know any Americans wanting to defect and move to Cuba.

100% on the obesity thing, but its not as clear on Diabetes and Heart disease. As Nino mentioned in his post, the food they do get is of low quality. The rise of highly processed foods hasn't missed them either. 

2 hours ago, Nino said:

for Cubans it is a terrible system that they ONLY complain about - and there are no medicines, not even the most basic.

I've never heard anyone, from any country extol the virtues of their healthcare system. Either the wait times are too long(Canada, UK), the costs are too high (the US) or you cant get the care you need at all. 

I'm not holding up the Cuban healthcare system (or government in general) as a model of success. But dollar per dollar they achieve far more than a long list of more developed nations. Where those dollars come from is a different discussion. 

Sure, the system is in disarray right now. But its amazing how quickly we forget the widespread shortages of medical supplies an equipment in the US last year. Shortages of real (functional) masks, gloves, respirators, rubbing alcohol, etc. Thank god CHINA had the manufacturing capability to fill those gaps for us. SUre, we bought some fake respirator;s from politicians friends for about 100 times what they where worth, but that didnt solve the problem. If you believe the media here, damn near every ICU bed in the country was full at one point.

There is a LONG list of things that need fixing in Cuba, their healthcare system doesn't crack the top 10 for me. If they can do this well with no resources, imagine what they could do with the proper support. 

3 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

I'm not holding up the Cuban healthcare system (or government in general) as a model of success. But dollar per dollar they achieve far more than a long list of more developed nations.

Sure, the system is in disarray right now.

There is a LONG list of things that need fixing in Cuba, their healthcare system doesn't crack the top 10 for me.

You might change your opinion living in Cuba as a Cuban and not as a privileged Yuma ...this article is from 2 days ago :

A single thermometer and zero medicines: Cubans fear isolation centers more than Covid-19
"The scenes of people screaming from headaches and tremors from fever are not erased from my mind," says a woman from Holguin.

Antonio Rodriguez Paz, Holguín 06 Aug 2021 

https://diariodecuba.com/cuba/1628239401_33198.html

"The bathrooms were horrible, they seemed like a bus terminal. The food sometimes bad and sometimes regular, always little. The worst thing is that there are no medicines and the doctors and nurses don't even look at you, they stop at the door of the shelter and ask if someone has a fever or shortness of breath. That's all, that's what they have us there for, "Damaris Peña, a woman from Holguin, told DIARIO DE CUBA who was confined in a school converted into an isolation center for Covid-19 suspects.

"There was a hypertensive lady who in her haste forgot to take her pills when she left home and she was sick, with a red face, but sometimes there was no way to take her blood pressure, much less medicine. 'You should have brought them', it was what they told him. It's better a thousand times to stay at home.

The terrible situation in the isolation centers and the lack of medicines is contributing to the fact that more and more Cubans with symptoms of Covid-19 hide them and isolate themselves at home to pass the disease with the support of the same family, using alternative medicines and treating to find palliative drugs in sales groups on the internet.

• Thanks 1

And another article from 2 days ago - Cuba has the world record of infected vaccinated people ...

That happens when you vaccinate people with vaccines that have not passed Phase 3 trials. You might as well give them a shot of sugar water ...

Cuba achieves the world record for vaccinated people infected by covid
The delta variant is imposed in most cases of the capital
14ymedio, Havana | August 06, 2021

https://www.14ymedio.com/cuba/covid-19-coronavirus-vacunacion-Abdala_0_3144285546.html

The Cuban authorities declare day after day that vaccination prevents an increase in the number of infected, serious and deceased by covid, but, at the same time, they recognize the reality: it is not enough to stop the spread of the coronavirus. This Friday, 8,886 new cases and 75 deaths are officially reported.

What is unprecedented on the island compared to the rest of the world is the number of infected vaccinated. In Havana, says Ileana Morales Suárez, director of Science and Technological Innovation of the Ministry of Public Health, 72% of the positives in recent days had received the three doses of Abdala, and of them, 42% have already completed the cycle total immunization, "effective 15 days after injecting the last dose," the official declared to the official press.

• Sad 1

You might not understand Spanish but look at the videos from Cuban hospitals, the conditions they are in, the people without medicine and the mass graves for the deceased Covid victims from 8:22 on ... the end of the myth of the Cuban health system.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

They had a lower infant mortality rate than the US, Canada, or the UK in 2019. Far lower levels of Obesity, Heart Disease, and Diabetes than the US. Almost the exact same life expectancy at birth.

While there are some, albeit weak, arguments for the effectiveness of the Cuban health care system those aren't one of them. Infant mortality rates in Cuba are an absolute joke. Their methodology is very liberal not to mention the books have been thoroughly cooked for decades. In fact, the state isn't even the one cooking the books. There are huge incentives for the doctors and hospitals to falsify records at the point of care. The state gets these books pre-cooked and loves allowing groups to "independently confirm" the medical records. I'd almost trust North Korean infant mortality statistics more. Infant mortality/life expectancy has become something of a cornerstone for the regime to hang its hat on. There is probably no other statistic that the regime has more incentive to falsify.

Just some of the shenanigans the state engages in:

"Cuba does have a very low infant mortality rate, but pregnant women are treated with very authoritarian tactics to maintain these favorable statistics," said Tassie Katherine Hirschfeld, the chair of the department of anthropology at the University of Oklahoma who spent nine months living in Cuba to study the nation's health system. "They are pressured to undergo abortions that they may not want if prenatal screening detects fetal abnormalities. If pregnant women develop complications, they are placed in ‘Casas de Maternidad’ for monitoring, even if they would prefer to be at home. Individual doctors are pressured by their superiors to reach certain statistical targets. If there is a spike in infant mortality in a certain district, doctors may be fired. There is pressure to falsify statistics."

And it's hard to have obesity when there's little food. And you don't get heart disease and diabetes without processed foods--something they don't have much access to. Obesity, diabetes and heart disease have nothing to do with a country's health care system. It has to do with individual lifestyle choices. You don't see much of these conditions in sub-Saharan Africa either. As a country gets richer it's people generally get less healthy. It's the reason Mexico is now the most obese country.

I mean, seriously--do you really think that Cuba could possibly have the same life expectancy and infant mortality as the US and Canada? It makes no sense whatsoever. It's like a drunken bum on the street telling you he can play in the NFL. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nino said:

Maybe the vaccine is giving them Covid...:surprised:

How stupid. There was literally no upside for Cuba to attempt a vaccine. Even if it was effective no one would want it over the western alternatives and they couldn't get it manufactured anyway to sell it. The worst case scenario is, well, apparently happening and the "Cuban health care system" looks like a laughing stock to the world and has brought the people to an uprising not seen in decades--or maybe ever. 

All the regime had to do was keep its mouth shut and buy the vaccines like most countries. The doses are about $2 each. I'm sure even they could scrounge up $20 million. Or I'm sure Russia would front them. Putin loves looking like a humanitarian. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nino said:

And another article from 2 days ago - Cuba has the world record of infected vaccinated people ...

That happens when you vaccinate people with vaccines that have not passed Phase 3 trials. You might as well give them a shot of sugar water ...

The delta variant is imposed in most cases of the capital
14ymedio, Havana | August 06, 2021

https://www.14ymedio.com/cuba/covid-19-coronavirus-vacunacion-Abdala_0_3144285546.html

The Cuban authorities declare day after day that vaccination prevents an increase in the number of infected, serious and deceased by covid, but, at the same time, they recognize the reality: it is not enough to stop the spread of the coronavirus. This Friday, 8,886 new cases and 75 deaths are officially reported.

What is unprecedented on the island compared to the rest of the world is the number of infected vaccinated. In Havana, says Ileana Morales Suárez, director of Science and Technological Innovation of the Ministry of Public Health, 72% of the positives in recent days had received the three doses of Abdala, and of them, 42% have already completed the cycle total immunization, "effective 15 days after injecting the last dose," the official declared to the official press.

So a Cuban Chef is now bad because he doesn't have any chicken to cook with? The taxi Driver sucks because there isn't a drop of gas in the country? Its not the doctors fault that the Government is a joke, that they cant provide their populace with any basic requirements. 

Vaccinated people getting infected is no No Way "Unprecedented" on the island. Healthy NFL players are getting pulled from preseason practices on a daily basis because they're testing positive, months after being "fully vaccinated". Fully healthy, practicing a professional sport, no symptoms at all. We only know because they're tested regularly. The more we test, the worst (more accurate) the numbers get. 

Did you see the news reports of refrigerated semi trucks removing Covid victims from hospitals by the hundreds? Here in the U.S., not Cuba. None of the problems you describe above are restricted to Cuba, or even to third world countries at this point. 

1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

While there are some, albeit weak, arguments for the effectiveness of the Cuban health care system those aren't one of them. Infant mortality rates in Cuba are an absolute joke. Their methodology is very liberal not to mention the books have been thoroughly cooked for decades. In fact, the state isn't even the one cooking the books. There are huge incentives for the doctors and hospitals to falsify records at the point of care. The state gets these books pre-cooked and loves allowing groups to "independently confirm" the medical records. I'd almost trust North Korean infant mortality statistics more. Infant mortality/life expectancy has become something of a cornerstone for the regime to hang its hat on. There is probably no other statistic that the regime has more incentive to falsify.

Just some of the shenanigans the state engages in:

"Cuba does have a very low infant mortality rate, but pregnant women are treated with very authoritarian tactics to maintain these favorable statistics," said Tassie Katherine Hirschfeld, the chair of the department of anthropology at the University of Oklahoma who spent nine months living in Cuba to study the nation's health system. "They are pressured to undergo abortions that they may not want if prenatal screening detects fetal abnormalities. If pregnant women develop complications, they are placed in ‘Casas de Maternidad’ for monitoring, even if they would prefer to be at home. Individual doctors are pressured by their superiors to reach certain statistical targets. If there is a spike in infant mortality in a certain district, doctors may be fired. There is pressure to falsify statistics."

And it's hard to have obesity when there's little food. And you don't get heart disease and diabetes without processed foods--something they don't have much access to. Obesity, diabetes and heart disease have nothing to do with a country's health care system. It has to do with individual lifestyle choices. You don't see much of these conditions in sub-Saharan Africa either. As a country gets richer it's people generally get less healthy. It's the reason Mexico is now the most obese country.

I mean, seriously--do you really think that Cuba could possibly have the same life expectancy and infant mortality as the US and Canada? It makes no sense whatsoever. It's like a drunken bum on the street telling you he can play in the NFL. 

I didn't just pull numbers from the air. The numbers I stated are backed up by several (all non-cuban) sources. Its certainly possible that everybody involved has been cooking the books, around the world, for years. I don't think its the most likely explanation, but its possible. After the last 18 months, I'll be the last person to defend statisticians, or large health organizations(multi national or not) 

But if Cuba's numbers are bullshit, it calls into question every single number, generated by every single organization that collects this type of data. So we just ignore all statistics now? Or just the ones you disagree with? 

The Covid numbers presented in the U.S. are demonstrably inaccurate. There are countless, proven, instances of city, county and state health officials modifying death certificates to suit their own narrative/beliefs. Higher, lower, more, less, better, worse, Who knows? I do know that we haven't been told the truth. 

Maybe its all bullshit, every where? The last 18 months have certainly been a rude awakening as to just how fragile the entire planet's health infrastructure is.

Yes, Cuba handled Covid poorly, just like everybody else. 

3 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

But if Cuba's numbers are bullshit, it calls into question every single number, generated by every single organization that collects this type of data. So we just ignore all statistics now? Or just the ones you disagree with? 

Correct--all data culled from enterprises run by the Cuban state is suspect, particularly the health care system which the Cuban government has a huge national interest in embellishing. Again, it doesn't matter who collects the data. As the University of Oklahoma professor observed the pressure created by the state incentivizes doctors to falsify data at points of care. As far as I know there aren't any reports of this dynamic occurring in the US, Canada or any other western country although calculation methodology does differ among countries. And we know that the state's practice of aborting any problem pregnancies results in skewed infant mortality numbers compared to the west which ostensibly does not. So right there between those two facts you have enough evidence that infant mortality numbers cannot be compared to western numbers. It's apples and oranges. 

The "independent" organizations are all getting the same likely tainted garbage numbers. The bottom line is that no independent observer can ever truly ascertain what's going on in these systems. It doesn't mean the state doesn't sometimes decide to tell the truth or data is actually accurate. The point is that it's impossible to know what's true and not. But to suggest that we have the data necessary for an apples-to-apples comparison and it demonstrates that a backwards communist regime has comparable medical outcomes to the most technically advanced system in the world defies common sense. It would be an extraordinary achievement, and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and that's something Cuba can't provide. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

So a Cuban Chef is now bad because he doesn't have any chicken to cook with? The taxi Driver sucks because there isn't a drop of gas in the country? Its not the doctors fault that the Government is a joke, that they cant provide their populace with any basic requirements. 

Exactly - those Cubans are the ones telling the truth, the ones I listen to - not the cooked gvt books or the Granma BS stories about the great working Cuban health system ....

• Thanks 1

A Cuban doctor treating Covid patients explains how the statistics, the books, are cooked in Cuba to announce less deaths than really happen :

A doctor reveals the official strategy that reduces deaths from Covid-19 in Cuba
This is the experience of a young doctor in Cuba facing Covid-19: shortage of doctors, insufficient protection, terrible food.

DDC Madrid 09 Aug 2021

https://diariodecuba.com/cuba/1628524889_33264.html

Emilio Yaser Pando Hernández, a family doctor who graduated in 2019, assures that at the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic in Cuba the shortage of doctors was not noticed, but that it was later "large."

The limited availability of doctors, says Dr. Pando, "has a negative impact on the quality of care. Even in Havana, for example, other provinces were sometimes asked to come doctors, because we couldn't cope."

Regarding the means provided to protect him from the virus, the doctor clarifies that "unless you are directly in the isolation center, they do not provide you with any type of protection. You have to look for that, say for consultations, the daily work, the guards ... You manage those means of protection ".

"What was most difficult for me was the few resources we had to care for patients, because there were times when we did not have what was necessary to manage them in the case of complications with Covid, say because the country did not have that in those moments, say for whatever reason ... ", he confesses.

"There being in the red zone, with patients of all kinds directly infected with coronavirus, who did not have comorbidities (super-added diseases), others who did have comorbidities, we had the same treatment for everyone. It should not be like that because each one should have care according to the characteristics of their underlying diseases and how they were developing at that time ".

"It hit me a lot and sometimes it made me helpless to see patients with such deterioration and not have the necessary tools to be able to save them or help them improve quickly. There was a grandmother, who was one of the first patients I had in the isolation center, That marked me a lot. She was a lady with a lot of desire to live, she was decompensated by the coronavirus of her underlying disease, which was heart disease. I did not have the necessary medications at certain times to help her and the fateful day came when she passed away I had many protests about this issue because I was seeing my own grandmother in that bed, "says Dr. Pando, who was even afraid to go home because of the possibility of being infected and infecting his family.

Many Cubans have denounced on social networks that the official numbers of deaths from Covid-19, despite being higher and higher, do not reflect the real number of deaths from this cause. Relatives of those who died from the virus affirm that in the certificates the doctors reflected a cause of death that is not the coronavirus.

Dr. Pando explains that these discrepancies on the number of patients who die on the day and the official figures are due to an agreement "that is out of our hands", and that consisted of reporting the deaths "of those patients who did not have comorbidities. ".

"All those patients who at the moment they have the coronavirus begin to decompensate from their basic diseases, the cause of death that is based on the certificate will be the decompensation of their basic disease. Therefore, it does not count as that he died by coronavirus, when in reality it was the coronavirus itself that led to their underlying disease decompensated and, therefore, they die. But that was the way they found and that is why the number of deaths does not correspond to the data that they get on the news the next day. " The young doctor had to explain to relatives of his deceased patients why, if they knew that they had died from coronavirus, the cause was another in the death certificate.

"It is a very uncomfortable situation. What they tell us to explain is that there is the direct cause of death. It is like trying to convince them that despite the fact that he had coronavirus (his family member) dies of pneumonia, heart disease, Decompensated diabetes mellitus. It's like trying to decorate, in order to reduce deaths from coronavirus, "says this young man, who disliked the orientation of not telling the truth to the relatives of the deceased.

• Thanks 1

How can we trust any of the numbers coming out of Cuba? If the did want to publish accurate numbers, it is unclear to me that the have the public health infrastructure to capture them. I would put their credibility somewhere in the neighborhood of North Korea’s.

• Like 2