Now were cooking.....Vegan Cuban Sandwich

Cubanos ATL, a Cuban sandwich and coffee shop with locations in Sandy Springs, Cumming, and Chattahoochee Food Works, introduced a 100 percent plant-based vegan cuban sandwich on Aug. 1.

“With more and more of our customers requesting plant-based menu options, we wanted to create a vegan-friendly Cuban sandwich that is not only flavorful, but also uniquely Cubanos ATL,” said Cubanos ATL owner Ozzy Llanes. “After extensive recipe testing, we are excited to debut limited quantities of the final product at all three Cubanos ATL locations beginning on Aug. 1.”

Cubanos ATL was opened last year, and their culinary team spent months developing the new vegan sandwich. Instead of the roasted pork used in traditional Cuban sandwiches, Cubanos ATL created a jackfruit-based meat substitute that incorporates their mojo seasoning. The sandwich also contains a soy-based ham substitute, mustard, pickles, and vegan swiss cheese.

Cubanos food.jpg

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Cubanos ATL was opened last year, and their culinary team spent months developing the new vegan sandwich.

Months? I could have come up with something that terrible in minutes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting. I've been trying some of the Beyond Meat products. The sausage is indistinguishable from regular sausage and so far I've had one burger and it was pretty good. 
I am a true meathead, two ppl in the household (wife and oldest son, the youngest doesn't give a crap what is on his plate) who think it's cruel to eat animals, so we have searched for alternatives. I think the beyond meat products are approaching the flavor and sometimes exceed it. The burger is good (smoking it it becomes great), I think the mince for pasta/lasagna is great. Downside is price, if I'm making burgers for 4 only the burgers itself are about €10 while I would have about 2 kilos of beef burgers for that price.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn VOG-L29 met Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DanWil84 said:

I am a true meathead, two ppl in the household (wife and oldest son, the youngest doesn't give a crap what is on his plate) who think it's cruel to eat animals, so we have searched for alternatives. I think the beyond meat products are approaching the flavor and sometimes exceed it. The burger is good (smoking it it becomes great), I think the mince for pasta/lasagna is great. Downside is price, if I'm making burgers for 4 only the burgers itself are about €10 while I would have about 2 kilos of beef burgers for that price.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn VOG-L29 met Tapatalk

Agreed. The flavour and texture is on par with real meat. I'm trying these more for the aspect of eating healthier vs a philosophical stance. The cost is definitely higher which makes me wonder if the production scale for the alternatives still need to ramp up or if meat producers are getting big government subsidies to bring the price down for the consumers.  As far as "beef" goes they nailed it. If they could pull off poultry and fish watch out.  Especially fish. It really looks like the oceans are screwed due to climate change. Which means we're screwed in the long term.  

1 hour ago, Puros Y Vino said:

I'm trying these more for the aspect of eating healthier

Have you actually looked at the ingredient list on that stuff? The impossible burgers have about a days worth of sodium per patty. Plus the loads of chemicals they use. No thanks. Its like Margarine vs. Butter. I'll take the real thing and its "consequences" all day. No thanks on the chemicals. You can't exercise cancer away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1