What's something new, something enjoyable?

What have you found lately, to your enjoyment?

I found/recently wandered into a video purporting a bar serving Angostura bitters shots. Disbelief. A little more reading. With caution, tried a small amount. Surprised, lots of clove. Waited a day or two. Tried more, surprised, I like it.

What I've found lately is a new beverage/cigar pairing. Angostura bitters mixed with water in varying proportions, or red wine as an apertif and cigar, with an ice cube. Pairs well with cigars in my opinion. The Angostura full strength tastes of clove with multiple complexities after including celery and carrot once, and of course, an assertive bitterness. Provides a canvas for the cigar to stand out from.

The water + bitters really worked the other day with a corona sized smoke. The bitters and wine with ice cube is really working now. Proportions have varied from a few drops to 100% bitters, though I'm settling into about 1/8 bitters tonight.

Pencil shavings, peanut butter, hazelnut and coffee, popcorn and hard/jelly filled strawberry candy, raisin/prune, cinnamon, cheese danish in a JL#2. May be an amalgamation with the beverage, I'm ok with it, it's working.

• Like 4

• DeskSmkr changed the title to What's something new, something enjoyable?

You’ll want to try the Trinidad Fizz then for sure!

For me, its probably Cuban ER's.

Have just started exploring this facet of cigars a few months ago, and so far have been extremely pleased with everything I have had.

Have several more in my stash to try and suspect I will be equally pleased based on my experience so far.

Always nice to explore new cigars for me, and the ER's have been worth the little extra cost to me.

Have also had about a dozen or so vintage Cigars of U.S made, Cuban tobacco, pre-embargo Cigars and while many weren't very good taste wise (none of mine were anywhere near being high end Cigars even when they were made), but its still been very enjoyable to smoke something from the 40's to 60's.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Spaghett:

12oz basic American beer like Miller high life 

1.5oz Aperol 

0.5oz fresh lemon juice 

Not my recipe but I love this in the summer rather than a shandy. I also tend to bump up the lemon to closer to 1oz.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, smbauerllc said:

For me, its probably Cuban ER's.

Have just started exploring this facet of cigars a few months ago, and so far have been extremely pleased with everything I have had.

Have several more in my stash to try and suspect I will be equally pleased based on my experience so far.

Always nice to explore new cigars for me, and the ER's have been worth the little extra cost to me.

Have also had about a dozen or so vintage Cigars of U.S made, Cuban tobacco, pre-embargo Cigars and while many weren't very good taste wise (none of mine were anywhere near being high end Cigars even when they were made), but its still been very enjoyable to smoke something from the 40's to 60's.

While there are duds to be found in both, I’m finding ER’s to be much better and more interesting in general than LE’s. I’m kinda over LE’s, in fact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Islandboy said:

Here’s a recent addition to the man-cave....the guitar, not the cat.

I’ve had an acoustic guitar to pluck amateurishly away at for as long as I can recall, long enough to have a few licks finally flow somewhat naturally, but I’ve always wondered what an electric guitar felt like. My trusty acoustic for 30+ years has been a Taylor 814 ce, so when I recently read about Taylor making an electric guitar (technically an electric/acoustic, but it’s got the balls of an electric), I was immediately in lust. And the Koa version really caught my eye. I popped into our local music store 2 months ago to see if they had one to check out, and they had exactly one...in koa. I took it as a sign.

I can’t tell you how fun it is to sit down next to my humidors with this thing and crank it up. My neighbors would probably disagree. 

BFC5EAAD-3331-4264-B099-9F8B99C27D24.jpeg.4c337fc63ec8386322df0d062b1bafe2.jpeg

Congratulations! If you’re ever in San Diego make sure to tour the Taylor factory. It’s a great experience. I had the privilege of spending an evening at a Padres game many years ago with Bob Taylor. My company got him the opportunity to throw out the first pitch. He is a very nice gentleman. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While there are duds to be found in both, I’m finding ER’s to be much better and more interesting in general than LE’s. I’m kinda over LE’s, in fact.
Yeah, not planning to get into the LE's at all. More expensive than ER's and I don't hear about them being particularly special.

ER's seem to be considered better than the typical LE from my reading.

The couple LE's I have were part of a bomb, but haven't tried either yet

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tstew75 said:

Houseplants. 

At last count I now have 70+ and it's fun trying to keep up with all of them 🌱

We probably have somewhere close to that number as well not including succulents and cactuses.  I personally enjoy taking care of them very much. Kind of a nice way to round out my work day.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, teamrandr said:

We probably have somewhere close to that number as well not including succulents and cactuses.  I personally enjoy taking care of them very much. Kind of a nice way to round out my work day. 

About 20 of mine are succulents as well. They are so easy to take care of, and when the cactus bloom for that one week in the summer each year I get overly excited.

*insider tip* Anytime you walk into Home Depot or Lowe's, swing by the discounted plant cart. There's always some poor looking cactus there that needs some love

• Like 1