Wireless Hygrometer Suggestion(s) Needed

Lucifer Morningstar

Hi BOTL/SOTL,

I'd like to know what everyone uses for wireless monitoring of their storage. Specifically with the option of showing historical data
So far from what I have read is the Sensorpush is basically the king, with the Govee units a cheaper alternative. Xiaomi apparently use the same sensors as the Govee or Sensorpush - but I'd be hesitant to buy a bunch of those if they turn out to be duds.

As I am in Australia pricing will be from Amazon (listed). Unfortunately, me being in Australia means there is a nice tax on it because Australia.

The options I have:

1. Sensorpush. $83 each.
  2. Govee. $19 each.
  3. Inkbird. $22, or $44 depending on the unit.
  4. Maybe something from Alibaba/Aliexpress?
  5. Xiaomi?
  6. Anything else?

Ideally, the unit would be under $100 for each sensor and be accurate to ±3, or less.

I'm receiving a Raching MON1800A (basically a cigar cooler with humidifying) and would like some decent hygrometers to monitor and have the ability to do graphs.
So before I go ahead and buy 5 of anything, I'd like to know.
I've currently bought 3 different units, but anyone recommendations from experience would be great.

Thanks!

I use sensorpush. Your post says "wireless" - the sensorpush puck uses Bluetooth. If you want wireless access from anywhere, you have to buy the wireless hub.

The app has over the top data collection with user set notification points for rH or temp.

The batteries lasted me about 3 years.

Have other questions, just ask.

• Like 2

I've only used the sensor push, works great. Just have to be within Bluetooth range.

I did not like the boveda. Wonky Bluetooth would cause the units to not register.

Just my experiences.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SoCal Gunner said:

I use sensorpush. Your post says "wireless" - the sensorpush puck uses Bluetooth. If you want wireless access from anywhere, you have to buy the wireless hub.

I should've been more specific. I mean wireless as in Bluetooth/Wifi with data logging.
Thanks for the suggestion.

17 hours ago, mrmessy said:

I've only used the sensor push, works great. Just have to be within Bluetooth range.

Thanks for the suggestion.

18 hours ago, Nevrknow said:

Govee 😬

I've bought 5 of these.

It seems the most popular are Sensorpush and Govee.
Unfortunately, Sensorpush is extremely expensive when it comes to buying 1 unit for each shelf.
I've bought Sensorpush, 5 Govee's, 1 each of Inkbird devices, and Xiaomi apparently use the same sensor as the Sensorpush but aren't able to be calibrated (I may flash the ROM to something different).

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. If I missed any popular unknown devices, I'd love to know.

I've got a  bluemaestro and a generic cheapo. Battery life is annoying. After a couple of years the BM is cheering up batteries in no time. The generic one was from the start.

There might be settings but not found it yet.

In the end I built one out of a raspberry pi zero w. But that needs an usb cable to power it.

Thanks for the reminder to revisit this project though.

I'll report:
Bought 5 Govee's.
Bought 2 different Inkbirds.
Bought 1 Sensorpush.
Bought 1 Xiaomi.

Initial thoughts:
The Inkbirds are always off a bit, even after calibration. Requiring constant fiddling.
The Govee's are solid. The only problem I foresee is replacing the battery. Since the units themselves are so tiny they might be easy to break.
This is all after 24+ (but not 48) hours of calibration.
I normally do 48 hours and then adjust settings, but I decided to do 24 hours. I'll adjust again at the 48 hour mark.
Not sure how accurate temperature is, though.

The Sensorpush hasn't arrived yet. But I expect it to be as good, or better than the Govee's.

Xiaomi on the other hand also hasn't arrived. The default firmware doesn't allow calibration. Apparently, you can flash a different ROM on it.
I may do that. It allegedly uses the same sensor as a Sensorpush or Govee. I really am not sure what to expect from it.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 5:45 AM, Lucifer Morningstar said:

I'll report:
Bought 5 Govee's.
Bought 2 different Inkbirds.
Bought 1 Sensorpush.
Bought 1 Xiaomi.

Initial thoughts:
The Inkbirds are always off a bit, even after calibration. Requiring constant fiddling.
The Govee's are solid. The only problem I foresee is replacing the battery. Since the units themselves are so tiny they might be easy to break.
This is all after 24+ (but not 48) hours of calibration.
I normally do 48 hours and then adjust settings, but I decided to do 24 hours. I'll adjust again at the 48 hour mark.
Not sure how accurate temperature is, though.

The Sensorpush hasn't arrived yet. But I expect it to be as good, or better than the Govee's.

Xiaomi on the other hand also hasn't arrived. The default firmware doesn't allow calibration. Apparently, you can flash a different ROM on it.
I may do that. It allegedly uses the same sensor as a Sensorpush or Govee. I really am not sure what to expect from it.

I find the temp on the govee to be solid but I'm constantly doubting my calibration on my govees. I have 4 govees, 2 of those big new fancy ones and 2 small cheapos. The doubt really puts me off of them. Accordingly I'm looking for something new.

I find the temp on the govee to be solid but I'm constantly doubting my calibration on my govees. I have 4 govees, 2 of those big new fancy ones and 2 small cheapos. The doubt really puts me off of them. Accordingly I'm looking for something new.
Unfortunately, there is not many wireless hygrometers to claim accuracy within ±1%.
I say not many - but I only know of 1.

It's wirelesstag.net
You want the Pro ALS. This product requires their wifi thing.

I haven't bought one from there yet, but I probably will.

I'm testing a sensorpush at present. Its too early to tell, otherwise I'd give you feedback.

I did try a Xiaomi and was very surprised. It is very accurate with custom firmware. The only negative is that the Xiaomi app fails when the device has said custom firmware.
There is a way to get a smartphone app working, but it involves way too much trouble (IMO) for my use cases.
Take a look at home-assistant.io.

Let me know what you choose!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Update:
Xiaomi is rubbish with stock firmware.
Unfortunately, I'm not at all interested in doing a "home assistant" setup at present.
So the Xiaomi has been sent to someone who will use it.

Sensorpush:
48 hours after I put it in a Boveda calibration kit I calibrated it to 75%.

It's now back in the calibration kit for another 48 hours.
The current reading it 74.8%.

The calibration kit is less than a month old and is triple bagged.

So far, I like the Govee's they're fairly accurate after fiddling with them. All to within 1% again.

I've got them in a bag with a Boveda humidity pack, and 2 hygrometers just to quadruple check, and will fiddle with them again throughout the week.

All I can say so far is he Govee's are very good for the price.
Inkbird is mediocre. I probably will donate these, break them, or have them outside or something.
Sensorpush is also good, but pricey.
Xiaomi if you want to dick around with a "home assistant" setup is probably on-par with Sensorpush seeing as they use the same monitor.

Home assistant can be read about here.
From what I know, it supports all sorts of devices, Govee's, Sensorpush, Xiaomi, and probably lots more.

I may or may not buy the WirelessTags. I'm still on the fence on that front.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been using one by SwitchBot for all my storage spots link here

It’s been great for me so far. If you get the hub as well, which I have, it connects it to your wifi and allows you to get alerts from anywhere. Allows for alerts when I goes outside a certain “safe zone”. 

I’ve personally got mine connected to Homebridge which allows me to have it as a Homekit Item on my iPhone. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...