Fans of Flat Iron and Skirt Steak?

These are two cut's of beef that rarely make it to run of the mill butchers in Oz and when they do they are treated very much as secondary cuts. 

In the US and South America, they appear to have a big following and I have enjoyed them both many times in different settings including some upmarket digs. 

I have a new good source for both and was wondering who here are fans of the cuts and how do you get the best out of them? :thumbsup:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rcarlson said:

Long bath in tangy marinade.  Soy, olive oil, little red wine vinegar, garlic, lime juice.  Give it a day or two in the fridge, and cook up directly over lower heat on the grill.  Easy to overcook.  Keep an eye on them.  Easy to blow past medium rare quickly.   Rest and cut against the grain into pencil width strips.        

Great guidance here. I also like to season (while bringing the steak back to room temperature) with some kosher or Himalayan salt, chili powder, minced garlic, dash of onion powder, and a sprinkling of cumin. If you can grill over wood chips, go with some mesquite and it will bring even more of an American southwest flavor to the table.

Good luck & let us know how it turns out (however you choose to cook). Need to know cigar for the occasion too, obviously!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Flat iron is a great way to test a grill or please a group. Simple, beefy. Nothing fancy. No fat. They're harder to get where I am in west texas, but back in east Texas they're big at Kroger stores.

Skirt steak is the meat of fajitas! I absolutely love skirt steak and always have some everything I grill. It's cheap, takes any marinade, and goes with anything. My favorite things are to make a beef bahn mi with some and mint, cilantro, long cut English cucumbers and some Sriracha nestled in a bolleo or the little French rolls from the Mexican bread store. I also love love love just soaking a skirt in lime, adding some salt and pepper and throwing on the grill. 

Now I want fajitas. Great.

• Like 2

One of my favorites on the grill !! Marinade overnight with a fresh chimichurri ..  Sear over high heat move to the low side .......Remove and let it rest ... Slice against the grain and enjoy w chimichurri...Nam nam nam

Edited by MedV3
This is for skirt steak
  • Like 2

For a change of pace, cumin, garlic salt, onion powder, and paprika. Let sit overnight uncovered on a wire rack in the fridge. Smoke it over pecan for 20 minutes on low heat, 250 f, and flash sear it. Fajita bliss. 

• Like 3

Skirt steak is great for making steak sandwiches or even cheesesteaks. Thinly sliced across the grain, it’s tender and oh so flavorful. 

• Like 1

We used to cook a ton of skirt steak (aka churrasco) in our house. For tacos with some grilled onions and guacamole…man, so good!

I often make like a chimichurri in a Mexican molcajete (like a rough stone mortar and pestle) and lather it all over. 

Lately, I am noticing the price of skirt steak is the highest in my butcher’s display case. At Fresh Market here in Florida it is $24.99/lb. Bonkers….that makes it just about the most expensive meat there other than if they have prime filet which might hit $29.99/lb. I ask the butcher all the time what the deal is, just seems like another oddity of the times we live in! 

Incidentally, hanger steak…which is arguably a decent substitute….is still $11.99/lb. so I’ll often swap to that. 

• Like 3

I grew up in LA so carne asada was a staple...and the best cut for that is skirt steak...still make it nowadays although my marinade for it has not been perfected...so still tweaking it here and there...grilled over very hot charcoal on a weber its hard to beat...green onions, flour tortillas (white boy style) and cold beer...brings back great memories of summers with my crew...probably some Slayer or Suicidal Tendencies blasting as well...

• Like 3

Flat iron marinated in a acidic base (orange or lime juice for example), don't forget to scrape with a fork for getting texture and a crust or add some extra rub, high and fast on the grill, with grilled veggies and sour cream and cheese on a flower tortilla.

Skirt steak is generally a bit fattier, so I prefer a reverse sear. I like this piece of beef more asian style, a soy and crushed pepper and garlic marinade.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn VOG-L29 met Tapatalk

• Like 1

Over the last five years skirt, flank, hanger, and flatiron have become more expensive.  I blame Food Network and bloggers for bringing these previously overlooked cuts into the spotlight.  Personally I call on the flank steak the most.  It's the perfect protein course for a tailgate or campout.  Marinate it. Slap on a HOT charcoal grill (Weber Smokey Joe). Slice it super thin. And your guests can eat it right off the cutting board.  The grain is easy to recognize, which is a plus in low light conditions. 

I cant wait to get back to the tailgate this year.  Hopefully I'll be in God's country, Clemson South Carolina, in just about a month.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rjake100 said:

I cant wait to get back to the tailgate this year.  Hopefully I'll be in God's country, Clemson South Carolina, in just about a month.

GO TIGERS!!!  🐅🏈🏆

• Like 1

11 hours ago, El Presidente said:

These are two cut's of beef that rarely make it to run of the mill butchers in Oz and when they do they are treated very much as secondary cuts. 

In the US and South America, they appear to have a big following and I have enjoyed them both many times in different settings including some upmarket digs. 

I have a new good source for both and was wondering who here are fans of the cuts and how do you get the best out of them? :thumbsup:

Homer in Finland hit this one on the head! One of my favorite cuts, actually.

I agree with all the various marinades mentioned or any combination. I much prefer the flank steak to skirt. I also like a nice char/crust on the meat. To achieve this I have a hot coal fire with wood mixed in for a good smoke flavor, and put on grill shortly after coming out of fridge so meat is cold. This allows the outside to sear without over cooking the interior as it's a pretty thin cut. For sure cut across grain. It's seems expensive now in USA, so if you find a deal grab it.

John

• Like 2

I usually go with a dry rub instead of a marinade. Ancho chili, cumin, coriander, salt, brown sugar, and unsweetened cocoa powder. Coat it with twice as much as you think you need and let it sit for a bit to dry. To me getting these things tender is more about temp and how you slice it than how you season or marinate it. I usually cook between medium rare and medium and slice super thin against and across the grain. If you cook it rare or slice it in the wrong direction it will be chewy no matter what.

Flat iron is good. Season to taste with what you  like, grill over screaming high heat for just a couple minutes per side. Its real easy to go past med rare, and in my opinion it never needs to go past med rare. Cut against the grain in thin strips.

8 hours ago, El Hoze said:

. At Fresh Market here in Florida it is $24.99/lb.

At that price I hope it's at least Prime. Skirt steak isn't dirt cheap anymore, but it still should not be priced higher than equivalent-grade strip loin or ribeye. I remember buying a Lobel's prime skirt steak for less than $40, now they're more than twice that. But that's mostly a reflection of how expensive beef has gotten.

Sad to think that one day our descendants will look at a real steak, or any real meat, as an anachronistic luxury. Of course that's if they're fortunate enough to not be eating Soylent Green 🐮

Flat iron > Flank > Skirt

We have a great Meat Tenderizer Tool - 48 Ultra Sharp Needle Stainless Steel Blades. Many available on the market.

Pierce and flatten the meat with it, marinate for a short while and slap on a hot grill for a couple of minutes until done.

Well worth it if they're priced well where you are. Flat iron is a staple for us and anyone I've turned on to it foregoes the flank or skirt.

• Like 2

I recommend cooking it directly on the coals.  Alton Brown claims skirt steak is his very favorite cut from the animal.  Nice to learn from someone who is so passionate about it.  Googling “alton brown skirt steak” will fetch some worthy recipes and videos, including cooking directly on coals.  Not many “reasonable” wrong ways, but Alton’s is my favorite.   Btw, Alton is a cigar lover.

• Like 2

No experience with flat iron but have seen it. Marinade as everyone says, I feel 48 hours does the best. We use Sazon Badia on both sides and salt on one side, some oregano. There must be a clarification on the skirt steak. There is a inside (cheaper version) and outside skirt. If you can find it buy the outside, they are two different worlds. The inside is consistently chewier. The outside is what traditionally is called churrasco (Argentina). Recently I paid $21/lb and have seen it as high as $24/lb. Not too long ago (2020) it was $13/lb. My family prefers it over anything else. My kids have even gone as far to say they prefer it over any steak they have had in the US, though I dont agree. I cook it over coals, the trick is to get it slightly charred and not cook it completely if you like it that way. Besides, any reason to grill brings on big smiles like handing out "A" Culebras. John

• Like 2