Fans of Flat Iron and Skirt Steak?

I love skirt steak, my favorite cut. I’m in Virginia. Wegmans grocery store regularly has them though they are getting pricey. My method is generous seasoning: steak seasoning powder, onion and garlic powder and then I marinate with Italian dressing and throw it on the grill. Careful watching as I burn the outside and their done when the inside is medium rare. Accompany with barbecued corn on the cob. 

• Like 1

i like flatiron, but skirt is my favorite cut of beef. better than ribeye if the beef is good. here in california skirt steak is easy to find, but perhaps obviously, not all are equal.

i disagree with the marinade recommendations if the skirt steak is very good. masks the amazing flavor too much. the key is very high heat to sear and crisp the outside while leaving some pink in the middle of this thin cut. only salt and a small amount of pepper to season.

on the grill i let the fire get as hot as possible and cook super-quick on both sides. it is difficult to undercook this cut, so i let the fire flame up pretty good. skirt steak is a tapering cut so you'll get some more and less well-done sides regardless.

it's good in the oven too. i put a grill pan in the broiler for 30-40 min at as high a heat as possible. keep the pan high against the broiler, put the steak in the hot pan, and return to the oven. don't flip the steak, it will cook in 4-8min depending on heat and thickness.

rest the meat for 10min or so and believe it or not, the quick, high-heat cook will absolutely render the interior fats and it will be extremely tender and juicy.

-dobbs

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MedV3 said:

One of my favorites on the grill !! Marinade overnight with a fresh chimichurri ..  Sear over high heat move to the low side .......Remove and let it rest ... Slice against the grain and enjoy w chimichurri...Nam nam nam

This! First time I had skirt steak that I really enjoyed was with chimichurri. Makes it delicious! 

On 8/10/2021 at 1:18 AM, Homer said:

0C564C8D-35E9-4A3D-86AA-8E874BEBA489.jpeg

I am replicating this on Saturday. Ordered the Flat iron + Skirt today 

Di wants to know how you cooked those potato wedges? Oven or deep fried?

19 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

I am replicating this on Saturday. Ordered the Flat iron + Skirt today 

Di wants to know how you cooked those potato wedges? Oven or deep fried?

Potato wedges are seasoned with paprika powder and vegetable oil. Then cooked in oven 225 celsius for aprox 40-45min. We make those often because they are easy to make and very delicious. I hope you enjoy those!

• Thanks 1

There are only 4 skirt steaks per animal (2 "inside skirts" and 2 "outside skirts"), which may be a reason for the high relative cost.  As mentioned by an earlier poster, the outside skirts are the ones to look for, in my view.  Sometimess the packages are not marked as inside or outside, so you may need to ask.  Unless you're in a supermarket where the butchers are nothing more than people stocking the displays, you should be able to get a reliable answer from them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1