Should Employers have the right to request staff be vaccinated?

Vaccination in the work place.   

231 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Take three deep breaths. clear your head and tell yourself " This is not a US political thread"  no one cares which team you cheer for ;)

This is a big issue locally that has employers scratching their heads. Particularly private  employers in retail, travel and health. 

The Federal Government here has dropped the ball on the issue (like the vaccine rollout) and thrown the issue back to employers with the recommendation to "seek legal advice". The Govt are F***wits.  Like death and taxes, it is a universal maxim. 

Is it an issue in your part of the world? if not, why not and how has it been handled?

In a world where at an interview you can no longer ask personal details of a prospective employee..........should you be able to make it a condition of employment that Covid 19 vaccinations (and boosters down the line) are required. 

Is it a can of worms? Is it the thin edge of the wedge? Is it simply protecting the cafe owner from losing his house when his non vaccinated barrista passes on CV19 to an immune compromised customer who subsequently passes away? 

Intelligent, non emotional, non political input always welcome ;)

• Like 1

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a front line healthcare worker I'm absolutely sick and tired of people coming in with covid now.  We did it last year, and our hospital lost half its staff. Now we're understaffed like every h

No way should they have that right. People should not be forced to accept a medical procedure in order to work, especially not an experimental and potentially very dangerous one. And it is very much e

Exactly, it’s like the current hysteria with kids supposedly getting it in any serious numbers. Absolutely no scientific or statistical evidence behind it, pure fear propaganda. If you are vaccin

I feel great about having literally no opinion on this. I have a feeling a deep intellectual dive on this is too much mental effort.

I will say that if there is any employer liability then they have no choice. Don't doubt for a second any employee that gets it (or thinks they got it) at work will be looking to sue. 

I work in the home health industry. My employer requests that all field staff get vaccinated but they don't mandate it. On a side note, more and more of our patients are requesting vaccinated clinicians only.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I have a feeling a deep intellectual dive on this is too much mental effort.

No doubt. Still the situation is being dealt with or about to be dealt with around the world.  How is it being handled at govt (legislation?) or private business level. What is best practice that balances risk and privacy. Can there even be best practice?

There are plenty of members with skin in the game here. It will be enlightening to hear their viewpoints and I suspect many of them will be conflicted about the decisions they are faced with. 

8 minutes ago, Yigal said:

So long as the vaccinated are still getting Covid and not immune, and we still have no data on long term effects of the vaccine, then a mandate should not be imposed on anyone.  This is a very touchy subject.  Fear makes people do things they really do not want to do.  I respect everyone's stance on this, but keep your stance to yourself, and let me keep mine to myself as well.  That is my belief.  For every person who says you must vaccinate, there is another that says you mustn't.  I feel we all have to do our best in making sure we are as safe as possible in crowded areas.  That's my $0.02 worth . . .

All that said a private company should be allowed to hire who they see fit for their company.  

• Like 2

I will throw the question back to you Mr. Ayala, since you are an employer and own a company. What will you require? Just curious. Feel free to opine or tell me to bugger off! 😁

BTW, I am not employed, so I have no skin in the game FWIW.

Tough one. I want to say no. But they do have the right to say yes. But with personal choice,( religious personal preference)where do we draw the line.????

The employee can go find new work elsewhere, 

can I per say as an employer, not hire someone because they are overweight??

From what I understand the vaccine doesn't keep you from getting the virus or keep you from spreading the virus.  I got the vaccine because the data has been very consistent showing that it reduces the severity.

• Like 1

Some big companies are saying any new employees must be vaccinated and that is an easy one to do. Not sure about elsewhere but in Canada there is something called constructive dismissal which basically means your employer changed the terms of your employment in a significant way against your wishes. You then quit but effectively it’s like they fired you and they owe you full severance pay. 

In the US severance for most workers is not much but in Canada it can be a significant sum. 

it will be interesting if a Canadian company makes it mandatory and then if the constructive dismissal argument works. 

12 minutes ago, DaBoot said:

Tough one. I want to say no. But they do have the right to say yes. But with personal choice,( religious personal preference)where do we draw the line.????

The employee can go find new work elsewhere, 

Yes, in fact, many jobs require you to be physically active. They usually label the job description with things like "Must be able to left X pounds over your head", or "must be able to work in a fast paced active environment". 

We have one employee out of 10 that hasn’t been vaccinated. I own a retail pet supply store. Once the vaccine is fully approved we will ask the hold out to be vaccinated. We pay 100% health insurance for full timers.  If she chooses not to she will be asked to shoulder a chunk of her own health insurance. Our customers have to have confidence that shopping with us is as safe as it can be. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, DaBoot said:

You nailed it.   That is _the_ issue imho.   If you can fire someone for not meeting the fitness requirements, then I am OK with allowing other health related requirements--otherwise it is unfair double standard.   The reality is that obesity is a far better predictor of major health problems than vaccination status.

• Like 3