Should Employers have the right to request staff be vaccinated?

Vaccination in the work place.   

231 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

57 minutes ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

yah, I was just referring to this thread. 

First 3 pages was adult. Last few pages have turned to what I expected. 

Because more people showed up that disagreed with you so you can’t over assert your opinions? 

Give me a break. It’s been nothing but different opinions this whole time. No name calling or anything uncalled for. Quit trying to stir the pot for no reason 

• Like 3

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a front line healthcare worker I'm absolutely sick and tired of people coming in with covid now.  We did it last year, and our hospital lost half its staff. Now we're understaffed like every h

No way should they have that right. People should not be forced to accept a medical procedure in order to work, especially not an experimental and potentially very dangerous one. And it is very much e

Exactly, it’s like the current hysteria with kids supposedly getting it in any serious numbers. Absolutely no scientific or statistical evidence behind it, pure fear propaganda. If you are vaccin

1 minute ago, therealrsr said:

St. Louis recently mandated that I mask up to protect the unvaccinated who won't protect me by getting vaccinated.  Only time will tell what the better choice was.  But in the mean time, screw their mandate.

I haven't seen this take before.  😮

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, therealrsr said:

I think we are talking about two different things, i.e. gov't vs. a private business.  

The problem is the general messaging from .gov is we can't mandate vaccines, but (wink and a nod) all you business should. When business are doing something at the urging of the .gov, that's one in the same to me. 

I said earlier probably on page 4, from covid .gov has figured out they can privatize everything they want to do, but can't. That is a terrible precedent, imo.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

yah, I was just referring to this thread. 

First 3 pages was adult. Last few pages have turned to what I expected. 

Thn pull it around.  It is in your hands to do so. 

We play the ball and not the man. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Trapper99 said:

The problem is the general messaging from .gov is we can't mandate vaccines, but (wink and a nod) all you business should. When business are doing something at the urging of the .gov, that's one in the same to me. 

I said earlier probably on page 4, from covid .gov has figured out they can privatize everything they want to do, but can't. That is a terrible precedent, imo.   

This may not be the case outside the US but it is certainly the case inside the US.  If there is no shield from litigation business will happily follow along with what the government wants.  I would wager there will be certain 'immunities' for business put in place by the government if the 'private' business mandates vaxxes.  FB and the like are already being 'told' what to take down regarding vax information (or misinformation depending on your camp).

Government has a way of coercing big business to get what they want so the link between between big government and big business is not a large as it may appear.

Small business is a bit of a different story.  Not much they can do to me but they can make Coke/FB/(insert big company here) do just about anything to keep the profits rolling.

The 'private business' differentiation from government is a purple herring...erh....green herring....or is it red herring...?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

benefit of others and the society in general

I find it so interesting to look at my childhood (born in 1980) and how seamless society felt......well.... accept for the tories ha!.     No seriously,  society was so much more homogenous, bonded and together.    We had old polish refugees from war torn Europe on our street. Indians, Nigerians, Pakistani's, West Indians from the Windrush era.  Everyone was fascinated with one another, everyone was living in each others pockets.  It was a great community where everyone looked out for one another. Yes, there was still racism, but people were a great deal more co-dependant,  bonded    

These days, we should be so much further on shouldn't we.!?.....and in some ways we are.  But I cant help but think society collapsed back into tribalism, and the same communities I grew up with now seem a great deal more segregated and insular.   I cant help but think the independence the internet has offered, had seen to people retreating from one another. 

Back on topic.   I think this retraction has really weakened and impoverished as sense of community, less so this side of the pond, but the 'army of one' mentality that seems to have taken hold, and this idea of "why the hell should I do something that doesn't benefit me & my family exclusively?" ............erm maybe because it feels good? 

I find it really depressing that there is a growing percentage of people out there, that approach life and modern society like some sort of dooms day prepping exercise.   i.e. if you are not a direct blood relation, or have a carbon copy belief system,.....then get the hell out of my concrete bunker. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CommanderJWBond said:

I think she is ridiculous, but her fear is not. It is genuine and palpable.

That is the key point. 

She shouldn't be defined by her attitude to vaccines. You know her as a whole multifaceted person. You disagree on this issue. What are you going to do, yell at her and call her an idiot? Of course not. 

You talk it through. Provide the data. If she is on the right of the spectrum ( Bill Gates, 5G, Hellicopters & Tin hats)......you are still going to love her and she should know that.  

For the record I have a sibling who is much like your sister.   Love him but I am not responsible for his choices and I don't expend one iota of energy in worrying about them. 

• Like 2

In this thread, individuals on the side of a mandate are wishing death upon unvaccinated individuals. 

Those in power can do what they want, the rest of us will react. For a business to mandate a COVID vaccine, considering all the available evidence, seems clumsy. If these mandates are simply theater with medical and religious exemptions as viable work arounds - while not an ideal scenario, some people have come to need the make believe. 

• Like 2

Can I just say I absolutely love the term “Yanks”. I am one and it is so appropriate to describe the “you can’t make me do anything” crowd in this country. Vaccines have the absolute most data backing up benefit to society. Number 2 health innovation only behind clean drinking water when it comes to lives saved.

Continued covid infection among the unvaxxed is creating lovely new variants, it’s just the way it works. If we end up with a variant that causes breakthrough infections, I wouldn’t be disclosing your brave resistance to vaccination, it will be on you and your unvaxxed “cult”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Trapper99 said:

It seems now the goal is zero deaths with covid. How come we don’t have the same goal and restrictions with the flu or common cold? Today I will likely do many things that have an associated death rate with it, but I do it anyway. It’s a complex, nuanced, risky world made up of 8 billion individuals, and for this reason, I don’t think mandates are generally good. I believe businesses can legally ( for employees, patrons is questionable), but shouldn’t (to answer the original question 😂)

I call this group of people: zero covid. I follow some of these types on twitter. I think there's even a Canadian group called zero covid canada. To me they're basically the pro-vaccination equivalent of anti-vax people. They want to shut down society and force everyone to get vaccines until covid is completely gone, no matter how few deaths and serious illnesses are involved, and keep moving the goalposts so it never ends.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, djrey said:

Because more people showed up that disagreed with you so you can’t over assert your opinions? 

Give me a break. It’s been nothing but different opinions this whole time. No name calling or anything uncalled for. Quit trying to stir the pot for no reason 

the ratio of 2\3 to 1\3 has been present since the inception of the poll.

7 hours ago, Ciscojohansson said:

This sets a president. What will we do when the next disease comes? or the next problem that will end the world? Give up your freedoms and rights in the name of security and liberalism. Like Churchill said:The fascists of the future will call themselves anti-fascists

A decision by a small business hardly sets that sort of precedent. Why take a business owners freedom to run it as he/she sees fit? Is that not problematic in itself? Not yours or my pocketbook at risk, and there may be legitimate reasons for making that mandatory.  

Why rob freedom in the name of freedom?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Not to put it too bluntly, but in that case vaccines don't exist. Even the ones that totally eliminated diseases. Smallpox is gone thanks to a vaccine that was 95% effective.

https://www.cdc.gov/smallpox/vaccine-basics/index.html

Very interesting! It just leads me to so many more questions then 😂 But thanks for the info. In any case i feel if peopel stopped thinking of it a prevention but rather a treatment then i think it would change things some what. But ofcourse even then there is much more at play than simply that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LordAnubis said:

ery interesting! It just leads me to so many more questions then 😂

No worries. The main thing is that while diseases vary in contagiousness, what happens with herd immunity is that let's say the initial variant of covid was such that for each person that got it 2 or 3 others got it. If the vaccine is 90% effective and 90% get it, that would mean that afterwards for each person that got it much less than 1 new person would be infected, so the number of infected people would decrease over time instead of increase and eventually would hit 0 or thereabouts.

Initially they were hoping this would happen when 60-70% got vaccinated, levels we have hit in many countries, but the new variants are more contagious and would require a higher percentage of the population be vaccinated. This leads to accusations of moving the goalposts on one side of the issue, and desire to make it compulsory on the other because 90% vaccination rate is not likely anywhere without some sort of carrot/stick dynamic.

• Like 4