I love me some Tonka Bean

.....I had to Google Tonka Bean and benzoin.........:D

Top notes are sicilian lemon and tangerine; middle notes are cinnamon and peru balsam; base notes are musk, precious woods, amber, benzoin, tonka bean and vanilla.

Remy Latour Cigar Black Oud 100ml EDT (M) SP

Love tonka bean, like a mix between vanilla and cinnamon, it's used a lot in the UK by high end chocolatiers and appears in a quite a few European imperial stouts aswell. Pretty sure it's illegal in the US for some crazy reason.

28 minutes ago, potpest said:

Pretty sure it's illegal in the US for some crazy reason.

Yes it is, but they'll never find mine!  Has a bit of vanilla and suntan lotion scent to it.   Tropical.

3 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

You don't cook with tonka beans?  Has a fake me out vanilla taste.  I use it sometimes in cooking.

Never seen one let alone heard of one until 12 hrs ago!

I am now making it a mission to find Tonka Bean.  Aussie group buy? :D

1 hour ago, Jimmy_jack said:

I cant speak to most of these things..but Oud...I truly enjoy. My colognes are all Oud based. What a fragrance.

You and me both!  I stock up when in the middle east.  We burn agarwood like an incense.  It's small pieces of the wood.  Talk about fragrant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrightonCorgi said:

You and me both!  I stock up when in the middle east.  We burn agarwood like an incense.  It's small pieces of the wood.  Talk about fragrant.

Not to pitch a company or anything but…Le Labo has a great Oud cologne. Not cheap but damn!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy_jack said:

Not to pitch a company or anything but…Le Labo has a great Oud cologne. Not cheap but damn!

My wife is a fan of their scents.  I got her a bottle last holiday season, but it wasn't an Oud one. 

Montale is a brand of just Oud fragrances worth checking out.

• Like 1

Tonka bean and benzoin are actually heavily used in perfumery. Fragrance is one of my other vices. I own about 175 bottles of fragrance. Ranging from $9 dollar cheapies to $550 niche house bottles. Tonka is def tied to vanilla as mentioned above. 

Fève Délicieuse by Dior has a great vanilla to it. Eau des Baux by L'Occitane might be the best vanilla scent I've put my nose on. It smells like a delicious crème brûlée treat. All brought to you by tonka.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

We are a bit into fragrances as well.  We have a dedicated fragrance fridge (recommended to me by Frederic Malle a while back) in our bed room.

Capture.JPG

Did FM mention anything regarding performance or longevity on the frags based on temp kept? That's the chase with fragrance right?... You find something that's epic, projects well, and hangs around for 8+ hours but they're few and far between. I've actually met a bunch of fragrance influencesrs and even some perfumers. There's an event that got started 2 years ago named scentxplore by a YouTuber. Last year was virtual but first one was in Manhattan. Parfums de Marly, Amouage, and George Zaharoff were all there among others. 

I tell my friends... I live life thru my nose. Fragrance and cigars. What could be better? My older cousin who came to US in the 90s on a raft... he was raised by our grandfather and he tells me, you didn't know the guy but you are the embodiment of Abuelo Cundo. He loved smelling good and he loved his farm rolled cigars. I guess it's in my DNA.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ElJavi76 said:

Did FM mention anything regarding performance or longevity on the frags based on temp kept?

He told me they last longer in the fridge and is why they store and sell from a fridge.  We hardly have as many as you, but the fridge is a nice indulgence. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 12:31 PM, potpest said:

Love tonka bean, like a mix between vanilla and cinnamon, it's used a lot in the UK by high end chocolatiers and appears in a quite a few European imperial stouts aswell. Pretty sure it's illegal in the US for some crazy reason.

According to McGill University:

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/general-science/coumarin-illegal-chemical-causing-americans-miss-out-sweet-treat

Coumarin, or is 1,2-benzopyrone, occurs naturally in tonka beans and cinnamon, but can also be found in trace amounts in bison grass, green tea, carrots, and even some beers. Poisoning by coumarin is extremely rare and has only occurred in clinical settings, where high doses of the chemical were medically administered as treatments for lymphedema and some cancers. Recently researchers found that subgroups of humans might be more susceptible to the hepatotoxic effects of the chemical, but the mechanism for why this might be is unknown. Even with an added risk, heavy consumers of the compound barely reach levels of threatening exposure.

Accordingly, the FDA ban on this substance has been highly criticized since it is very unlikely that anyone could be exposed to enough coumarin from tonka beans to cause liver damage. It has been estimated that every day we consume about 0.06mg/kg of the substance daily through our diet and cosmetics. This falls safely under the 2004 tolerable daily food intake (TDI) set by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) at 0.1mg/kg daily. For a fully grown adult to research this threshold, they would need to consume about 2400 plates of tonka bean flavoured desserts, in which case liver damage would probably not be their major concern. 

In Canada, directly adding coumarin to food is illegal, but consuming it through other spices, like tonka beans, is not.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

I love this place :rotfl:

Fuzz sent these to me yesterday with instructions to use them sparingly as they are toxic in large doses. 

As long as you follow the recommended instructions and don't go snacking on them like almonds, you'll be fine.

@WarriorPrincess have 000 on speed dial when the doofus decides to use them. :P

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, WarriorPrincess said:

Why oh Why Fuzz did you send them :surprised: I am not going to know what to expect tonight when I get home for dinner 

By the way the chocolate you sent me was very nice :hungry: thanks 

Chocolate? According to Rob, I sent salted cod....

Just now, Fuzz said:

Chocolate? According to Rob, I sent salted cod....

I thought it was Chocolate Salted Cod

Very unique I thought. "That Chris certainly shops in some interesting places"  I thought

Then I put on my glasses.  Chocolate Salted Gold. 

• Haha 2