Your sanctuary of sanity

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This year I’ve been helping the wife with here veggie garden. It’s been very productive. Tomatoes, beans, peas, lettuce, broccoli, squash, zucchini, cucumber, watermelons, cantaloupe, honeydew, b

My job keeps me busy, CNC machine tool field service engineer. Then it’s working with the wifey in the yard and garden after work and on the weekends. When I have the time I do a bit of amateur woodwo

Without a doubt, mountain biking over the last 25 years has kept me sane and living life. There is no better travel companion, therapy or personal trainer, IMO. Here’s a collection of my bikes an

I can't watch the mainstream media anymore, I just can't do it. It gives you brain damage. I used to enjoy sports and even racing but now those political movements have wedged their way into those activities as well. It's so very sad. I stick to hobbies these days mainly making music😎

• Like 4

Never any good news... so I abstain from watching/reading....

Use to travel more and that was the intent in retirement - do even more...

That being said. I equate therapeutic value in clearing your mind. Fortunate to have some hobbies.

I came to the conclusion, that you should discover them before you retire. Get the necessary equipment and training to enjoy them - while you can afford to!

Particular hobbies that facilitate that:

Long range/High power rifle. Shooting out to 1000 yards. You are not thinking about anything else than the target and reading the wind. That combined with reloading for precision - focus!

Mountain/trail biking. When it is possible (seasonal). Typically during the week when there are less folks. More technical or difficult trails require more concentration.

The art of the barbecue: in particular charcoal and smoking. Not a precise science....

When I was younger, I suppose I had the need for speed - so I use to road race (motorcycle and vintage sports car) - that has passed. A nice drive in the countryside. We often take for granted what we literally have in our backyard

• Like 3

I have written on this topic before--my grandmother (who lived to be 106 with no significant health issues) hated television, refused to watch it, and mocked me whenever she saw me doing it.    

Terence McKenna quote:

Television is by nature the dominator drug par excellence. Control of content, uniformity of content, repeatability of content make it inevitably a tool of coercion, brainwashing, and manipulation.

The outdoors is the antidote--when the weather is warm enough, that means bare feet on the grass, with a dog by my side, working in the garden.

• Like 4

I avoid TV and Internet news - too subjective. A newspaper once a week about does it for me, at least you can apply your own filters.
Away from that fishing, my trusty mountain bike, Scouting and I've just started open water swimming at the lake near where I now live.

Sent by spooky action at a distance

• Like 4