Anchovies - yes or no?

anchovies, yes or no?   

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

if we can divert from health issues for a moment - covid and others (don't ask) - i have just done a piece on anchovies for Q&P. staggers me how many people simply go into horror mode when anyone mentions anchovies. as though you'd offered them ten day old road kill.

so, are forum members (sorry, guys, the thing shut down on me so this is all extra editing now) fans of anchovies or do you have absolutely no taste at all (not to phrase the question in a prejudicial manner, of course). 

for those still wondering on which side i fall, this was the piece if any interest.

https://quillandpad.com/2021/08/16/in-praise-of-anchovies-if-you-dont-already-love-them-you-just-havent-yet-discovered-how-good-they-can-be/

• Like 2

Kelly's Caesar salad. All anchovies all the way!

Fresh white anchovies are amazing.

Not usually on a pizza but wouldn't turn a slice down if they were on it.

Little fried anchovies and other tiny fish fried up well on the port in Barcelona, amazing!

I guess I am definitely in the positive anchovy camp.

I kind of like Surstromming and Lutefisk (There is a way to eat them, certainly not out of the can) so anchovies are not really a big deal to me. Pretty good plain out of the can, pickled, or with splash of hot sauce, but I don't really care for them on Pizza where there are so many better ingredient options. In a dish on their own like salted and cured with a bit of olive oil and thyme with a vegetable or soup side they're even better. 

9 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

I will have them in any way. 

However, Boquerones are pure bliss. 

Anchovies, olive oil, garlic, touch of vinegar and  parsely. 

Amazon.com: Boquerones White Anchovy Fillets in Large Container - 1.75 lbs  : Grocery & Gourmet Food

rarely has a photo made me as hungry as this one did!

anchovies for dinner!! 

Love them.   Hard to beat a fiery Puttanesca sauce,   Piedmonte peppers.   Salted anchovies also strangely work really well to add depth and umami to things like lamb gravies, and stocks. 

Also love the tangy, fresh Boquerones,  always tastes like summer

Anchovies are a broad category.  Some think of them in the can only.  Where do anchovies end and sardines start?  When I was young in college, I would order anchovy and some kind of vegetable on a pizza only because I knew it would turn off most of my flat mates.  It would protect my late night snack on drunken/high benders.

Canned anchovies are good and essential for cooking.  Like @Meesterjojo, I prefer squid & octopus.  I would add mackerel in a can as well.

Love anchovies.  I have fond memories of my mom embedding anchovies into her pizza dough before she put on any other toppings. The oils would be absorbed by the dough resulting in delicousness. :D I do the same and drizzle an extra bit of oil on the pizza when it's done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have BAD memories of anchovies (in particular, anchovy paste) during my freshman year of college. I got to brush my teeth using that paste, which was completely nasty. I also got to enjoy canned anchovies with generous portions of habanero sauce (or cayenne powder, depending on what was available), or blended into a delicious "milkshake" with jalapenos, ketchup, buttermilk, and dry cat food. 

No, this wasn't voluntary, but the memories I share with my pledge brothers are hilarious and disturbing at the same time...

• Haha 1

To me they don't really sound appetizing on a pizza (I'd give it a try if offered but I've never ordered a pizza with them).  By themselves, in a salad, on a sandwich, or in a sauce, count me in!

I like all kinds of anchovies. That picture is mouth watering! Growing up in New Jersey my mom used to order her pizza with anchovies. I still like a slice or two every once in a while with those typical pizza parlor anchovies on it…preferably with peppers and onions. Caesar salad needs ‘em. I like sardines too, as a kid I used to eat them out of the can. Granted I was a weird kid…and haven’t changed much.