anchovies, yes or no?   

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

I like all kinds of anchovies. That picture is mouth watering! Growing up in New Jersey my mom used to order her pizza with anchovies. I still like a slice or two every once in a while with those typical pizza parlor anchovies on it…preferably with peppers and onions. Caesar salad needs ‘em. I like sardines too, as a kid I used to eat them out of the can. Granted I was a weird kid…and haven’t changed much. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes to dressing anchovies with a hat and accessorizing them with 2 7/0 hooks before sending them back home to play hooky with some salmon 🤩🤩🤩

I will have them in any way.  However, Boquerones are pure bliss.  Anchovies, olive oil, garlic, touch of vinegar and  parsely.   

interesting how many even just from this thread is of this opinion. i always thought this was one of the quintessential original Italian pizza toppings along with capers. 

A fine evening snack, rolled anchovies with capers. Also can't live without anchovy paste and crackers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

 Where do anchovies end and sardines start? 

 

different fish.

but i'll confess i also eat lots of sardines and love good ones. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife's last Caeser Salad served sans anchovies was a joyless bowl of vegetal slop and the closest I ever want to come to divorce.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chas.Alpha said:

A fine evening snack, rolled anchovies with capers. Also can't live without anchovy paste and crackers.

Crusty bread with filets of salted anchovies in oil, some sharp hard cheese and a glass of wine make for a fine mid day snack.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fresh, they can be excellent.  But never under any circumstances on pizza.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Deeg said:

But never under any circumstances on pizza.

interesting how many even just from this thread is of this opinion. i always thought this was one of the quintessential original Italian pizza toppings along with capers. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Meklown said:

interesting how many even just from this thread is of this opinion. i always thought this was one of the quintessential original Italian pizza toppings along with capers. 

M, personally i prefer a pizza with anchovies, but that is much more because i love anchovies than that i like pizza. if i have to eat pizza, rather it with anchovies. can't speak for others on this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Meklown said:

i always thought this was one of the quintessential original Italian pizza toppings along with capers. 

Yeah,   the holy trinity of anchovies, capers and black olives that constitute the core of a Puttanesca, I've also always understood to be a very traditional pizza and longstanding in Italy

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

M, personally i prefer a pizza with anchovies, but that is much more because i love anchovies than that i like pizza. if i have to eat pizza, rather it with anchovies. can't speak for others on this. 

Absolutely. 

thin crust pizza ....so thin it could float. Anchovies, oilives, capers, tomato, mozzarella, basil (fresh), drizzle of quality olive oil. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Absolutely. 

thin crust pizza ....so thin it could float. Anchovies, oilives, capers, tomato, mozzarella, basil (fresh), drizzle of quality olive oil. 

Ok, I could buy into that pizza.  I wish we had more ultra thin pizza options around here. 

Most pizza places here start with medium crust, tomato sauce, and stringy mozzarella.  Toppings come next so anchovies on that setup doesn't sound too pleasant to me as opposed to chunks of Italian sausage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Absolutely. 

thin crust pizza ....so thin it could float. Anchovies, oilives, capers, tomato, mozzarella, basil (fresh), drizzle of quality olive oil. 

What? No pineapple? :P

play list: may 2018 — cvwmedia

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

What? No pineapple? :P

.... + Golden circle canned pineapple  when no ones looking.....:lookaround:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

Ok, I could buy into that pizza.  I wish we had more ultra thin pizza options around here. 

Most pizza places here start with medium crust, tomato sauce, and stringy mozzarella.  Toppings come next so anchovies on that setup doesn't sound too pleasant to me as opposed to chunks of Italian sausage.

Take 55 South for 5 hours to the land of thin crusts, but bring me a Malnati's with italian sausage and onion while you are at it please.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, therealrsr said:

Take 55 South for 5 hours to the land of thin crusts, but bring me a Malnati's with italian sausage and onion while you are at it please.

Sounds good to me.  We had a really good brick oven pizza place nearby that closed years ago.  I'm sure downtown Chicago must have a decent one here and there, but I haven't found one yet.  Last one I tried got great ratings and was just bad.  Thin yes, crispy, no....bad

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

Sounds good to me.  We had a really good brick oven pizza place nearby that closed years ago.  I'm sure downtown Chicago must have a decent one here and there, but I haven't found one yet.  Last one I tried got great ratings and was just bad.  Thin yes, crispy, no....bad

Eons ago, relatively speaking, Charlotte's in Barrington carried the best thin and crispy in Chicagoland.  Since its tragic closing years ago, the only thing I found living while living there that came close is Vito and Nick's in Hometown on far Sout'west Side. Worth a spin if you're ever down that way or coming up the Tri-state but borderline worth a special trip from downtown or from the NW.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, foursite12 said:

Eons ago, relatively speaking, Charlotte's in Barrington carried the best thin and crispy in Chicagoland.  Since its tragic closing years ago, the only thing I found living while living there that came close is Vito and Nick's in Hometown on far Sout'west Side. Worth a spin if you're ever down that way or coming up the Tri-state but borderline worth a special trip from downtown or from the NW.

Much appreciated.  The place we liked was Mia Cucina in Palatine but that's been closed for a long time now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2021 at 1:45 PM, Chibearsv said:

Much appreciated.  The place we liked was Mia Cucina in Palatine but that's been closed for a long time now.

Yep. Many great meals there. Our second daughter nearly entered this world there. We barely made it to the hospital. Had to leave between the time we placed our order and the food arriving. Staff was awesome helping us out that night. Interestingly, I don’t think we ever ordered pizza. 
P.S. off-topic but it appears we share a love (or perhaps love-exasperation) for the damn Bears. I’m flying their flag here in San Diego-loyal to the end-but they can be stunningly infuriating.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2021 at 3:04 PM, foursite12 said:

Eons ago, relatively speaking, Charlotte's in Barrington carried the best thin and crispy in Chicagoland.  Since its tragic closing years ago, the only thing I found living while living there that came close is Vito and Nick's in Hometown on far Sout'west Side. Worth a spin if you're ever down that way or coming up the Tri-state but borderline worth a special trip from downtown or from the NW.

I heartily endorse Vito and Nick's for thin. Pequods for thick. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I love anchovies. Versatile and tasty little ocean gems.
Boguerones en vinagre
Boquerones fritos
Accompanied by black olives, capers, onion, peppers, mozzarella and fresh basil on thin and crisp pizza
Fermented in a sauce with tamarind to marinade, baste or accompany meat, cheese, and Italian pasta dishes
Made into a paste and spread onto one cut side of crisp Vietnamese bread rolls, similar to the traditional shrimp paste/pate for Banh mi
and we can't forget Caesar salad dressing
 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.