Anchovies - yes or no?

anchovies, yes or no?   

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A fine evening snack, rolled anchovies with capers. Also can't live without anchovy paste and crackers.

7 hours ago, Chas.Alpha said:

A fine evening snack, rolled anchovies with capers. Also can't live without anchovy paste and crackers.

Crusty bread with filets of salted anchovies in oil, some sharp hard cheese and a glass of wine make for a fine mid day snack.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Deeg said:

But never under any circumstances on pizza.

interesting how many even just from this thread is of this opinion. i always thought this was one of the quintessential original Italian pizza toppings along with capers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Meklown said:

interesting how many even just from this thread is of this opinion. i always thought this was one of the quintessential original Italian pizza toppings along with capers. 

M, personally i prefer a pizza with anchovies, but that is much more because i love anchovies than that i like pizza. if i have to eat pizza, rather it with anchovies. can't speak for others on this. 

3 hours ago, Meklown said:

i always thought this was one of the quintessential original Italian pizza toppings along with capers. 

Yeah,   the holy trinity of anchovies, capers and black olives that constitute the core of a Puttanesca, I've also always understood to be a very traditional pizza and longstanding in Italy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

M, personally i prefer a pizza with anchovies, but that is much more because i love anchovies than that i like pizza. if i have to eat pizza, rather it with anchovies. can't speak for others on this. 

Absolutely. 

thin crust pizza ....so thin it could float. Anchovies, oilives, capers, tomato, mozzarella, basil (fresh), drizzle of quality olive oil. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Absolutely. 

thin crust pizza ....so thin it could float. Anchovies, oilives, capers, tomato, mozzarella, basil (fresh), drizzle of quality olive oil. 

Ok, I could buy into that pizza.  I wish we had more ultra thin pizza options around here. 

Most pizza places here start with medium crust, tomato sauce, and stringy mozzarella.  Toppings come next so anchovies on that setup doesn't sound too pleasant to me as opposed to chunks of Italian sausage.

3 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Absolutely. 

What? No pineapple? :P

play list: may 2018 — cvwmedia

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, therealrsr said:

Take 55 South for 5 hours to the land of thin crusts, but bring me a Malnati's with italian sausage and onion while you are at it please.

Sounds good to me.  We had a really good brick oven pizza place nearby that closed years ago.  I'm sure downtown Chicago must have a decent one here and there, but I haven't found one yet.  Last one I tried got great ratings and was just bad.  Thin yes, crispy, no....bad

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

Sounds good to me.  We had a really good brick oven pizza place nearby that closed years ago.  I'm sure downtown Chicago must have a decent one here and there, but I haven't found one yet.  Last one I tried got great ratings and was just bad.  Thin yes, crispy, no....bad

Eons ago, relatively speaking, Charlotte's in Barrington carried the best thin and crispy in Chicagoland.  Since its tragic closing years ago, the only thing I found living while living there that came close is Vito and Nick's in Hometown on far Sout'west Side. Worth a spin if you're ever down that way or coming up the Tri-state but borderline worth a special trip from downtown or from the NW.

39 minutes ago, foursite12 said:

Eons ago, relatively speaking, Charlotte's in Barrington carried the best thin and crispy in Chicagoland.  Since its tragic closing years ago, the only thing I found living while living there that came close is Vito and Nick's in Hometown on far Sout'west Side. Worth a spin if you're ever down that way or coming up the Tri-state but borderline worth a special trip from downtown or from the NW.

Much appreciated.  The place we liked was Mia Cucina in Palatine but that's been closed for a long time now.

On 8/18/2021 at 1:45 PM, Chibearsv said:

Much appreciated.  The place we liked was Mia Cucina in Palatine but that's been closed for a long time now.

Yep. Many great meals there. Our second daughter nearly entered this world there. We barely made it to the hospital. Had to leave between the time we placed our order and the food arriving. Staff was awesome helping us out that night. Interestingly, I don’t think we ever ordered pizza. 
P.S. off-topic but it appears we share a love (or perhaps love-exasperation) for the damn Bears. I’m flying their flag here in San Diego-loyal to the end-but they can be stunningly infuriating.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2021 at 3:04 PM, foursite12 said:

I heartily endorse Vito and Nick's for thin. Pequods for thick. 

• Thanks 1

I love anchovies. Versatile and tasty little ocean gems.
Boguerones en vinagre
Boquerones fritos
Accompanied by black olives, capers, onion, peppers, mozzarella and fresh basil on thin and crisp pizza
Fermented in a sauce with tamarind to marinade, baste or accompany meat, cheese, and Italian pasta dishes
Made into a paste and spread onto one cut side of crisp Vietnamese bread rolls, similar to the traditional shrimp paste/pate for Banh mi
and we can't forget Caesar salad dressing

• Like 3

14 hours ago, foursite12 said:

Yep. Many great meals there. Our second daughter nearly entered this world there. We barely made it to the hospital. Had to leave between the time we placed our order and the food arriving. Staff was awesome helping us out that night. Interestingly, I don’t think we ever ordered pizza. 
P.S. off-topic but it appears we share a love (or perhaps love-exasperation) for the damn Bears. I’m flying their flag here in San Diego-loyal to the end-but they can be stunningly infuriating.

One of my favorite lines comes from A Christmas Story when the old man says under his breath "Bears, the terrors of the midway... more like the Chicago Chipmunks maybe.."  That about sums up being a Bears fan.  We suffer but we never surrender!