What's up for the weekend?

9 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

Drove back to NJ from the Hamptons last night, because today we have to fly to Pittsburgh for the weekend.  We are bringing out oldest daughter to college for the first time.

As long as I'm on the subject, can anyone recommend a good cigar bar in Pittsburgh?

Congrats. Exciting to drop off a kid at college. Pittsburgh is actually a great city. My wife’s family is from there, and dare I say a few of her family have attended the various collegiate offerings in the city, all of whom had great experiences. Congrats and enjoy. 

If memory serves there is a cigar bar down between the baseball and football stadiums, perhaps a rocky Patel club?  I stayed down in that area once w my family, but turns out I was on the front end of pneumonia. So my family had a great trip and I stayed and slept in the hotel room. 

• Like 4

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son turned two today. Having his birthday party on Saturday.

Gardening tomorrow as we finish off he back yard / entertainment area. It has been a fun project.  BBQ Saturday night. Tomahaws have arrived (Organic black Angus grass fed). Trying out a new prov

Dinner at a friend's place. Shisha with my dad.

Groundhog weekend. Wake up, unpack (almost done!), organize, break down boxes. Grill something. Hit the beach. Smoke some cigars.....

• Like 4

Work. Get to King N.C. at 5,30A.M.(1hour drive), get my crew started rebuilding 4 cylinders on a box packer, 350 feet of 5 inch pipe to run, 2 sets of handrails to build and install. Then drive 2.5 hours to Oxford N.C. to uncrate a machine and set it. Measure up 11 conveyors that's going to feed it and all piping required for the job. Drive back to King, fill out all timesheets, safety sheets etc. and drive an hour home after the 16 to 20 hour Saturday is over, I'm hoping to sleep all day Sunday because that will end 34 days straight of working.

• Like 4

On 8/19/2021 at 10:54 PM, El Presidente said:

Gardening tomorrow as we finish off he back yard / entertainment area. It has been a fun project. 

BBQ Saturday night. Tomahaws have arrived (Organic black Angus grass fed). Trying out a new provider.  I really don't care about the organic moniker but I liked their pitch. Still trying to work out whether I prefer grass fed/grain finished or pure grass fed. 

Tomahawk Steak

Sunday nothing planned to date. Perfect ;)

Pure grass can be fine, but I prefer grain in the last few weeks before slaughter.

I'll tell you, major chain store in texas used to sell Australian grass fed, no grain trim. I'd like to think I helped end that some years ago. Ranchers down there were letting them graze on anything such that the meat would come out greasy and slicked with oil. And the flavor...awful. I'm not sure if yall got creosote down there, but reminds me of some goats that ate a bunch before slaughter.

Anyway, point being, I'd avoid yalls pure grassfed. Hell, that whole debacle has kept me off pure grassfed here. I try to get my hands on Nolan Ryan brand out here. He does good stuff, and I can get them custom cut 2" thick. 

3 hours ago, Bijan said:

Dinner at a friend's place. Shisha with my dad.

20210821_001435.jpg

IMG-20210820-WA0012.jpeg

Interesting to see you had shisha @Bijan! Although I don't have any shisha experience, there're some shisha lounges in Seoul (young lads often visit these lounges for exotic experience and the flavor of shisha AFAIK) 😃.

In terms of flavor and the way of puffing, is shisha completely different from CC?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rhinoww said:

Congrats. Exciting to drop off a kid at college. Pittsburgh is actually a great city. My wife’s family is from there, and dare I say a few of her family have attended the various collegiate offerings in the city, all of whom had great experiences. Congrats and enjoy. 

If memory serves there is a cigar bar down between the baseball and football stadiums, perhaps a rocky Patel club?  I stayed down in that area once w my family, but turns out I was on the front end of pneumonia. So my family had a great trip and I stayed and slept in the hotel room. 

7 minutes ago, Lrabold89 said:

Yea I went to that cigar lounge years ago it was decent it’s like right outside the baseball stadium …forget the name ……didn’t have cocktails and stuff tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm at the hotel, which is right across the bridge from the baseball stadium.  So if I have time tonight, I will check it out.

But I just found out my daughter is staying in her dorm tonight, so it might be more advantageous for me to stay in the hotel room with my wife.  

....I'll have to wait and see how badly I want a cigar.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, SigmundChurchill said:

I'm at the hotel, which is right across the bridge from the baseball stadium.  So if I have time tonight, I will check it out.

But I just found out my daughter is staying in her dorm tonight, so it might be more advantageous for me to stay in the hotel room with my wife.  

....I'll have to wait and see how badly I want a cigar.

Ask your wife to take a walk down to confluence park. If you are in the downtown core, park is right there. Short walk and (don’t quote me here) I think cigar smoking in downtown Pittsburg is ok. Great views of the city and the stadiums. Nice park. Outline of the old fort. 

You are smart to tend to your wife though. Funny how many women I have heard bust their husbands chops over the college drop off (and not being sensitive enough) It’s like we did something wrong about being happy for the kids 😂

Dropping my son off in Philly in two weeks. He has a real job. Rented a real house with real roommates. Does not have academic schedule anymore  as he graduated (nor the loss of campus housing). My sense is that this drop off may be harder on my wife because my son may now be a permanent east coast resident. Let me know if you have any tricks. I may need them soon. 

6 hours ago, Connoisseur Kim said:

In terms of flavor and the way of puffing, is shisha completely different from CC?

As far apart as tobacco can get.  Shisha will get you nicotine amped if you are not a cigarette smoker.  The occasional cigar smoker needs to be careful on the Shisha.  The smoke is a very smooth almost like a mist and if usually very flavor enhanced with fruits, spices, herbs.  Usually fruit flavors and molasses into the tobacco.

For sure worth giving it a go a shisha bar.  Better to go with friend or two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Connoisseur Kim said:

Interesting to see you had shisha @Bijan! Although I don't have any shisha experience, there're some shisha lounges in Seoul (young lads often visit these lounges for exotic experience and the flavor of shisha AFAIK) 😃.

Yeah pretty different. Flavours are generally pretty basic. I usually get mint but they're mainly fruit flavours: apple, grape, lemon, watermelon.

Generally the smoke is a lot lighter and you can easily inhale as though it was hot air, as long as you don't put on too many coals or put them too close to the middle and burn the "tobacco" mixture too hot.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

As far apart as tobacco can get.  Shisha will get you nicotine amped if you are not a cigarette smoker.  The occasional cigar smoker needs to be careful on the Shisha.  The smoke is a very smooth almost like a mist and if usually very flavor enhanced with fruits, spices, herbs.  Usually fruit flavors and molasses into the tobacco.

For sure worth giving it a go a shisha bar.  Better to go with friend or two.

Thanks buddy! The smooth fruitness of shisha makes it quite popular among girls in Korea, although I myself prefer the complex and richness of CCs as a CC aficionado.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Yeah pretty different. Flavours are generally pretty basic. I usually get mint but they're mainly fruit flavours: apple, grape, lemon, watermelon.

Generally the smoke is a lot lighter and you can easily inhale as though it was hot air, as long as you don't put on too many coals or put them too close to the middle and burn the "tobacco" mixture too hot.

Thanks @Bijan! Based on your description, the flavor of shisha seems to be similar with infused cigars like ACID.

1 minute ago, Chibearsv said:

Get well soon Bro! 
Punch 898 with coffee and my handicapping tools this morning. 

image.jpg.3e93f8c2b8da62faf7c21d0b093e405d.jpg

Would love to see your thoughts on that Punch 898. Just got a box from Di and am letting them rest before lightning one up.

9 minutes ago, griller said:

Would love to see your thoughts on that Punch 898. Just got a box from Di and am letting them rest before lightning one up.

It’s a really nice medium body cigar with a white bread toast and nutty flavor plus just the right twang for me. Nothing aggressive at all here. I love these with my Saturday morning coffee. Nice flavor and gentle on the buzz factor. I bought four more boxes after I got 1/2 way through the first box. 

• Like 2

It’s a really nice medium body cigar with a white bread toast and nutty flavor plus just the right twang for me. Nothing aggressive at all here. I love these with my Saturday morning coffee. Nice flavor and gentle on the buzz factor. I bought four more boxes after I got 1/2 way through the first box. 
My Korean FOH buddies also like Punch 8-9-8 a lot too . Can't wait to puff Punch 8-9-8 .

나의 SM-N950N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 8:14 PM, Habana Mike said:

Groundhog weekend. Wake up, unpack (almost done!), organize, break down boxes. Grill something. Hit the beach. Smoke some cigars.....

Forgot take the Spider out for a cruise down A1A with the wife!

Good 40 mile run and got to burn some carbon off.....lots of sunshine.

So far so good for all the above. Actually got the third car in the garage today. Huge milestone!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, griller said:

I went deep on these. Smoked through 2 excellent boxes. The rest are down for a long sleep. 

Big Al 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 11:55 PM, Bijan said:

My son turned two today. Having his birthday party on Saturday.

Happy birthday Bijan's son. Hope he had a nice party!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Connoisseur Kim said:

Thanks @Bijan! Based on your description, the flavor of shisha seems to be similar with infused cigars like ACID.

Haven't had an ACID but probably not quite the same. The flavours are pretty mild and not heavily scented. You could most probably store the shisha molasses tobacco in a humidor, etc, without ruining regular cigars with the scent.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bijan said:

He was very very happy seeing everyone. My dad got him one of those kids cars they can drive. He's too young to drive it himself but it had a remote control and he rode shotgun with my cousin's older kid too.

You sold me on the remote control... My three year old would shit a brick. I'm getting that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1