Have you ever smoked a Cohiba that had "expired"?

Ken and I completed a Cohiba Lancero review today and this question came up. 

Have you ever smoked an aged Cohiba that had "expired". 

Technical definition: to come to an end: such as. a : to exceed its period of validity

Cigar definition : Multiple cigars from your box of Cohiba simply had no defining flavour character remaining. 

:thinking:

Pretty unlikely since the oldest commercially available Cohibas are from 1984 and the Siglos from 1992. And the old Cohibas were known for aging exceptionally well. Possible even the oldest are still excellent. I would say anything that's described as "expired" could be chalked up to poor storage. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Pretty unlikely since the oldest commercially available Cohibas are from 1984 and the Siglos from 1992. And the old Cohibas were known for aging exceptionally well. Possible even the oldest are still excellent. I would say anything that's described as "expired" could be chalked up to poor storage. 

Cohibas are certainly known for aging exceptionally well. It was part of the reason we asked the question. I have had plenty of Montes (from that period) that have "expired", Upmann far fewer. Cohiba none to my immediate  knowledge. 

Everyone's tastes are different. Let's see if we can run a gauge on a broad cross section of members experiences. 

• Like 3

Never had a Cohiba that expired either. And I've had my fair share of Cohibas. Oldest ones I have at the moment are from '06. Smoked an '07 CoRo a few months, and it was fantastic. No signs of heading to The Hell of Expired Cigars.

Like El Pres mentioned, I've had Montecristo expired examples, as well as a Sancho Panza and Hoyo de Monterrey but not Cohiba. Put it this way, I smoked a 2003 Cohiba Double Coronas and 2004 Cohiba Sublimes last year and I can assure you they both had plenty of life left in both of them. The same can be said for my mid-2000s Esplendidos, Lanceros and Robustos.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heels82 said:

Take it easy on the Cohiba aged stocked push there "Elon" @El Presidente.  Sky rockets in flight?  

....the aged Cohiba horse bolted a few years ago ;)

Today was one of the more enjoyable vid reviews and I am not sure if it was Ken or I who asked the question about Cohiba/aging and expired examples. 

I generally smoke Lancero, CORO, CCE, III and V on the few times I light up Cohiba. Still, in 25 years, I can't recall wishing I had smoked one "earlier". 

Then again, after todays (MAR June 20), one wonders why you need to age quality Cohiba at all in 20/21. 

• Like 2

One of the first boxes of Cuban Cigars was a '01 box of Esplendidos. I got them from a vendor who is still well regarded. Back then I knew nothing.The cigars were hard as a rock but drew well. They didn't stay lit but I didn't know then just how important moisture management was. I have one left. She it, after what I paid for them, about the price of one now, lol, I figured I'd wait on them/ I'm glad I did. I smoked one about two years ago that was terrific. I'm thinking I'll burn the last one on some significant date soon. So no, I haven't smoked an expired Cohiba and the few old ones I have are in their varnish boxes, tubes, or plastic bags.

• Thanks 1

I’ve never had one that was expired. The oldest ones I’ve smoke lately were all around the 10-17 year range and each were great and definitely benefited from the time done. 

I have had some cardboard Siglo III's that taste like they're fading fast. Good reason to smoke them up but definitely past their prime. Never had an expired stick from a cab, tubo, or SLB though. At current prices I can't justify gambling on C/P Cohiba anymore. Tubos on the other hand suit Cohiba quite well IMO, if you can stomach the (increasingly absurd) premium for the tube.

3 hours ago, joeypots said:

One of the first boxes of Cuban Cigars was a '01 box of Esplendidos. I got them from a vendor who is still well regarded. Back then I knew nothing.Tthe cigars were hard as a rock but drew well. They didn't stay lit but I didn't know then just how important moisture management was. I have one left. She it, after what I paid for them, about the price of one now, lol, I figured I'd wait on them/ I'm glad I did. I smoked one about two years ago that was terrific. I'm thinking I'll burn the last one on some significant date soon. So no, I haven't smoked an expired Cohiba but the few old ones I have are in their varnish boxes, tubes, or plastic bags.

^^^^^^ 
This up there is the correct reply - 100 Points !!  🙂

I have never had an expired Cohiba - or let's put it this way : The "expired" Cohibas I had were the best Cohibas I had ... 🙂

Just my 2 cents.