Recommended Posts

Whats up! I genuinely need some help. Im stuck. Im itching to buy a new box but really can only buy one or maybe two more boxes. All purchases are justifiable 100% but I am approaching my own need to cool off limit LOL. The time spent out back relaxing enjoying a cuban is priceless. So far I have collected boxes of the CORO’s, Sir Winnies, Lusi’s, Cohiba Piramide, Monte 2’s and Partagas Serie P no 2. I smoke one a week. I wish I had time for more! I see 24:24 everyday and I cannot decide. La Fuerza sounds super good? Fundies? How different is the Siglo line compared to the CORO and Piramide? Im really leaning towards the fundadores but I just dont know. Im looking for something different than what I have. Ive never had a cuban older than 4 years…should I get an aged box? Try singles? What would you guys do? What do you suggest? I dont really have a need for smaller sizes as my time is 2 or more hours a week. Ive just randomly gravitated towards larger sizes but open to whatever. I really have no idea. Thank you!   

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

La Fuerza sounds super good? Fundies? Im really leaning towards the fundadores but I just dont know.

Both are good you mentioned Fundadores twice in this post go for it. 

Quote

How different is the Siglo line compared to the CORO and Piramide?

The Siglo line is definitely more mellow in my opinion to the classic line. Same Cohiba DNA but not as punchy I guess as a CORO. There balanced when "on" and good.  

Quote

Im looking for something different than what I have. Ive never had a cuban older than 4 years…should I get an aged box? 

Keep buying boxes and aging. You'll soon have boxes older than 4 years. If you have the extra coin then buy something aged I guess. I just keep slowly getting what I like and then boom there's an aged box of "x".

Quote

Try singles? What would you guys do? What do you suggest?

Try singles sure to test. I'll say this cigars as a hobby is a marathon not a sprint. Slow down and enjoy what you have. There's no need to collect them all so fast. It takes a life time. Try some new pairings if you get bored of your current stock. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very hard to answer, it’s very personal. Looking at what you have and like, Fundadores would be a home run. I would like to suggest Partagas E2 as one I think you would enjoy. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Think singles or 1/4 boxes are a good idea.  Im narrowing down what i believe are worth box purchases and getting singles and 1/4 boxes...Ive def discovered things where i don't want or need box!  Examples include popular cigars like ryj churchill, mag54, siglo VI, topes, etc

If you were to get one that you mentioned, id go fuerza. It has a different flavor profile from the current cigars you have and is probably half the price of a box of fundies... which will allow you to sample more assuming budget is a factor

Link to post
Share on other sites

La Fuerza is an excellent choice. Siglos do tend to be a little mellower than the Linea Clasicas. I would recommend the IV or V. I would avoid the Piramides Extra. Very expensive and can be inconsistent. I would go Lanceros or Esplendidos before the PE.

Any Trini is going to be good but Fundys are rare as hen's teeth at the moment. I would recommend the Topes or Media Luna. 

Other cigars worth picking up are SLR Regios, SP Belicosos, VR Famosos (a favorite of mine), Monte Edmundos or Double Edmundos, Party Lusitanias and PL Galanes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChangBang said:

Think singles or 1/4 boxes are a good idea.  Im narrowing down what i believe are worth box purchases and getting singles and 1/4 boxes.....

I second that, I'm still  trying to get the most singles I can get my hands on to figure out what I like or what I don't like before committing to buy any boxes. It all comes down to personal taste 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to try a different but tasty cigar try some 

Bolivar BBF

Hoyo Epi 2

Trinidad Media Luna or any larger Trini you can get a hold of. 

If you like Sir Winnies I would not rule out any of the Connie A or B to try. 

I also really like getting quarter boxes as that allows to dig a bit deeper into one cigar type. 

Good fun to explore new cigars!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent smokes in your stash. Very jealous as I can't afford boxes of almost all of those without doing a split with someone.

Based on the quality of what you already have, the Fundadores would fit right in. Excellent smokes and a good smoke time.

Loved the 2 singles I had enough that I worked out a trade for 5 of them.

I don't think you would be disappointed in them by any means.

I'm a big fan of the Siglo II's, but since you have 2 hours to smoke, and larger vitola may be in order, but the price goes up extremely quickly for larger ones.

Also consider the Cohiba Coronas Especiales.

Just did a box split for 10 as I loved the 3 singles I had smoked. Excellent smokes, may even overtake the CoRo and Siglo's as my favorite Cohiba if that tells you anything.

Big fan of the La Fuerzas though, and again dont think you would be disappointed.

If you want to try some singles first, shoot me a PM and i'll help you out as until just recently I bought nothing but multiple singles as I put a high value on having a lot of variety, and wasn't set up for storing boxes, so I pretty much know every vendor that sells singles at this point.@TheDonTX

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk







Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very subjective.  You'll find out what you like by trying it. 

La Fuerza sounds super good?  Sure.  Worth a try. Maybe grab some singles before you commit to a box.

Fundies? A big YES from me.  Hard to go wrong and I would recommend a box if you can get it for a reasonable price.

How different is the Siglo line compared to the CORO and Piramide?  In general the Siglo line tends to be milder overall but there are some exceptions.

  • Siglo I can be very full bodied. I have a box from 1994 that is still very strong. 
  • Siglo II is the best balanced cigar in the line.  Never disappoints.
  • Siglo III.  Haven't had enough wow me to consider a box.
  • Siglo IV See above.
  • Siglo V. Wanted to love this one due to the vitola but none have impressed me enough for a box.
  • Siglo VI.  Either the best cigar you've ever smoked or just "OK". And that is my experience from the same boxes.

IMO. Grab some I's and II's. Save some money for Esplendidos and Lanceros.  They age very well.

If you can get some 3/5 stick Petacas (aka cardboard boxes). You can sample a wide variety of stuff and be able to make decisions based on experience as to what your next box will be.  On the flipside though, I've bought a lot of boxes blind and have never been let down. :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys are incredible. I read through all the answers. I think I am going to hold off on any more Cohiba’s just for now. I need a bigger humidor system. Im now using glass tuppadors and had to buy the 62% and then the 58% bovedas to get them to 65%. With 62% they were still going to 70%. I need a cooler for sure. I love the Cohibas but if the siglos are lighter and more mild than the classic line im not trying to buy more of the same. I have 2 boxes of the CORO and Piramide so I am good on those. I think I am going to pick up a Fundie box but damn right now they are expensive! I dont want to miss the 2019-21 production which from reading about what Presidente says, its an amazing time. I wrote down a lot of your suggestions and will be proceeding with your recommendations. Now I need to see them come up on 24:24 and be ready 😂

 

14 hours ago, dshot said:

Both are good you mentioned Fundadores twice in this post go for it. 

The Siglo line is definitely more mellow in my opinion to the classic line. Same Cohiba DNA but not as punchy I guess as a CORO. There balanced when "on" and good.  

Keep buying boxes and aging. You'll soon have boxes older than 4 years. If you have the extra coin then buy something aged I guess. I just keep slowly getting what I like and then boom there's an aged box of "x".

Try singles sure to test. I'll say this cigars as a hobby is a marathon not a sprint. Slow down and enjoy what you have. There's no need to collect them all so fast. It takes a life time. Try some new pairings if you get bored of your current stock.

Its been a very fun journey so far. What you have by itself changes as well. Its crazy what time does to a cigar. 

 

8 hours ago, BEVOSREVENGE said:

Mag 46

Punch Punch

QD 50

All are different than what you currently have.

I was looking at QD 50 but how soft and mild is it? 

 

8 hours ago, smbauerllc said:

Excellent smokes in your stash. Very jealous as I can't afford boxes of almost all of those without doing a split with someone.

Based on the quality of what you already have, the Fundadores would fit right in. Excellent smokes and a good smoke time.

Loved the 2 singles I had enough that I worked out a trade for 5 of them.

I don't think you would be disappointed in them by any means.

I'm a big fan of the Siglo II's, but since you have 2 hours to smoke, and larger vitola may be in order, but the price goes up extremely quickly for larger ones.

Also consider the Cohiba Coronas Especiales.

Just did a box split for 10 as I loved the 3 singles I had smoked. Excellent smokes, may even overtake the CoRo and Siglo's as my favorite Cohiba if that tells you anything.

Big fan of the La Fuerzas though, and again dont think you would be disappointed.

If you want to try some singles first, shoot me a PM and i'll help you out as until just recently I bought nothing but multiple singles as I put a high value on having a lot of variety, and wasn't set up for storing boxes, so I pretty much know every vendor that sells singles at this point.@TheDonTX

A little bit of crypto magic lol. PM sent. Ty sir. 

 

14 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

La Fuerza is an excellent choice. Siglos do tend to be a little mellower than the Linea Clasicas. I would recommend the IV or V. I would avoid the Piramides Extra. Very expensive and can be inconsistent. I would go Lanceros or Esplendidos before the PE.

Any Trini is going to be good but Fundys are rare as hen's teeth at the moment. I would recommend the Topes or Media Luna. 

Other cigars worth picking up are SLR Regios, SP Belicosos, VR Famosos (a favorite of mine), Monte Edmundos or Double Edmundos, Party Lusitanias and PL Galanes.

Im very fortunate so far I think with my cuban journey. Ive never had a plugged cigar and the Piramides have been perfection. I will consider myself lucky! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TheDonTX said:

 

I was looking at QD 50 but how soft and mild is it? 

I don't consider it mild.  Mild to me is ERDM.  That said, it isn't going to punch you in the face like a young Mag 46 will.

If you want more mongrel in a QD, then look at the QD 54.

 

Just my two cents.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BEVOSREVENGE said:

I don't consider it mild.

I agree--I can't say the QdO 50/54 are mild in any way. The Coronas (which is quite different) still is mild but the 50/54 are definitely a solid medium. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TheDonTX said:

CORO’s, Sir Winnies, Lusi’s, Cohiba Piramide, Monte 2’s and Partagas Serie P no 2

I think from the list you've pointed out, the common theme seems to be.... high-end and fairly rewarding.... but unchallenging smokes.  By that I mean they are very luxurious, but sometimes with luxury, you loose a bit of character and dynamism.     

Why not try jumping into the opposite end of the pool.   Something cheaper (still fantastic quality)  and more interesting/challenging, more spark and verve.

- Sancho Panza Belicoso

- Por Larranaga Montecarlo

- Romeo Y Julieta Royales

- Vegas Robaina Famosos

- Juan Lopez No 1

The majority of these cigars are far cheaper than what you've bought so far,  but no less rewarding, and arguably more interesting.      I think this forum is a great place to see certain trends of cult following cigars, that return more in the bang for buck ratio. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I smoke a lot more petite coronas than a lot of folks here, but for larger smokes my "sure winners" that don't break the bank are:

--BBF

--VR Famosos

--JL #2

--Connie 1

and you really need a cab of Party Shorts just because they are so awesome that you will make in-between time to smoke them.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 99call said:

I think from the list you've pointed out, the common theme seems to be.... high-end and fairly rewarding.... but unchallenging smokes.  By that I mean they are very luxurious, but sometimes with luxury, you loose a bit of character and dynamism.     

Why not try jumping into the opposite end of the pool.   Something cheaper (still fantastic quality)  and more interesting/challenging, more spark and verve.

- Sancho Panza Belicoso

- Por Larranaga Montecarlo

- Romeo Y Julieta Royales

- Vegas Robaina Famosos

- Juan Lopez No 1

The majority of these cigars are far cheaper than what you've bought so far,  but no less rewarding, and arguably more interesting.      I think this forum is a great place to see certain trends of cult following cigars, that return more in the bang for buck ratio. 

 

My wallet understands what you mean lol. Im interested to know more about what you mean by challenging? I haven't heard that before to describe a cigar. Im interested! I love finding diamonds in the rough with wine and drinks. To me the monte 2 is incredible for what you pay. Long finish and it changes per 3rd etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheDonTX said:

I think I am going to pick up a Fundie box but damn right now they are expensive!

I would consider Trinidad Coloniales.   They offer lots of the same flavours and richness, but stronger and more intense aromatic sandalwood flavours. The bonus being, you would have enough money left to buy another great quality box of something else.  

Fundies are great cigars, but they are also quite demanding.   A, you would really want to do them justice and smoke them indoors.  B, if you are not used to restrictive draws, Laguito no 1's (even if rolled correctly) can feel plugged and restrictive.    If you like open draws, copious amounts of smoke etc etc.  these cigars can be annoying when you first get into them. 

Ultimately go with your gut.   the only thing i would say is that with Cuban cigars,  spending money does not guarantee quality on a sliding scale.   Like golf it can be counter intuitive.   i.e the harder you try and hit the ball, it doesn't mean it's going to go any further.   

 

50 minutes ago, TheDonTX said:

 I love finding diamonds in the rough with wine and drinks

Yep same thing applies. 

By "challenging" I mean that luxurious cigars like Sir Winstons, as blended to be in a goldilocks sweet spot, of not too strong, and not too light.  They are in affect pandering to the smoker, giving them the armchair ride..... and hey there is a great deal to be said for that.     But sometimes when you buy into the safe luxurious experience, you are equally eliminating the chance of a real stellar, stark, dynamic flavour assault on the senses. 

For example.  The Trinidad Coloniales, often provided a similar core flavour profile to he Fundie. i.e.  a rich donut sweetness, sandalwood, cashew nuttiness etc etc.  but whereas the Fundie is sitting in the sweet spot,  Coloniales can add to the dynamic instense dry woodiness, floral flavours etc etc. 

Another good example of this contrast between Bolivar Libertador = rich, creamy, mid bodied, sweet opulent, rewarding, comfortable smoke.    Boliver Tubos no 1=  Extremely rich, meaty, floral, sweet, salty, and sour,  full bodied, aromatic, challenging smoke. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would focus on brands I have not tried AND what el press says is HOT. It is disappointing to spring for something and find that it is off. Sometimes that’s just the game, but if you can raise your %, then you have a better shot at experiencing what the stick is supposed to deliver…

look for statements like “best ive seen since release” etc…

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, teamrandr said:

Just my two cents but I would rather smoke two Reyes than one Funadore.  

You say that; I just opened my first box of Reyes and my 1st thought of them was “this is like a mini fundi!” I almost wonder if they don’t roll a L2 then cut them in half...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would echo the comments about the La Fuerza… just had one recently and it smoked well with a unique malty sweet (molasses) taste. Best find of the year, and would have not tried it last few years because I was stuck on Hoyo and Upmann. Now I gravitate to Boli and Partagas more… I never would have guessed… Pushing your palate by trying a lot of singles or quarter boxes on 24:24 is the ticket. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.