Help with my next box to buy…

4 hours ago, 99call said:

I would consider Trinidad Coloniales.   They offer lots of the same flavours and richness, but stronger and more intense aromatic sandalwood flavours. The bonus being, you would have enough money left to buy another great quality box of something else.  

Fundies are great cigars, but they are also quite demanding.   A, you would really want to do them justice and smoke them indoors.  B, if you are not used to restrictive draws, Laguito no 1's (even if rolled correctly) can feel plugged and restrictive.    If you like open draws, copious amounts of smoke etc etc.  these cigars can be annoying when you first get into them. 

Ultimately go with your gut.   the only thing i would say is that with Cuban cigars,  spending money does not guarantee quality on a sliding scale.   Like golf it can be counter intuitive.   i.e the harder you try and hit the ball, it doesn't mean it's going to go any further.   

Yep same thing applies. 

By "challenging" I mean that luxurious cigars like Sir Winstons, as blended to be in a goldilocks sweet spot, of not too strong, and not too light.  They are in affect pandering to the smoker, giving them the armchair ride..... and hey there is a great deal to be said for that.     But sometimes when you buy into the safe luxurious experience, you are equally eliminating the chance of a real stellar, stark, dynamic flavour assault on the senses. 

For example.  The Trinidad Coloniales, often provided a similar core flavour profile to he Fundie. i.e.  a rich donut sweetness, sandalwood, cashew nuttiness etc etc.  but whereas the Fundie is sitting in the sweet spot,  Coloniales can add to the dynamic instense dry woodiness, floral flavours etc etc. 

Another good example of this contrast between Bolivar Libertador = rich, creamy, mid bodied, sweet opulent, rewarding, comfortable smoke.    Boliver Tubos no 1=  Extremely rich, meaty, floral, sweet, salty, and sour,  full bodied, aromatic, challenging smoke.

Thank you so much. That is very experienced perspective I have never thought about. I do enjoy more smoke and not having to work so hard. I dont like restrictive draws. Most probably would not have used the perfect draw on a Lusi I just enjoyed but I needed it more opened up. I feel when I have to focus on the draw it takes away from the experience. I totally relate to the golf analogy! 

2 hours ago, Chas.Alpha said:

You say that; I just opened my first box of Reyes and my 1st thought of them was “this is like a mini fundi!” I almost wonder if they don’t roll a L2 then cut them in half...

Im gonna try a Reyes first. 

4 hours ago, karp said:

I would echo the comments about the La Fuerza… just had one recently and it smoked well with a unique malty sweet (molasses) taste. Best find of the year, and would have not tried it last few years because I was stuck on Hoyo and Upmann. Now I gravitate to Boli and Partagas more… I never would have guessed… Pushing your palate by trying a lot of singles or quarter boxes on 24:24 is the ticket. 

Im going for a box! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TheDonTX said:

Whats up! I genuinely need some help. Im stuck. Im itching to buy a new box but really can only buy one or maybe two more boxes. All purchases are justifiable 100% but I am approaching my own need to cool off limit LOL. The time spent out back relaxing enjoying a cuban is priceless. So far I have collected boxes of the CORO’s, Sir Winnies, Lusi’s, Cohiba Piramide, Monte 2’s and Partagas Serie P no 2. I smoke one a week. I wish I had time for more! I see 24:24 everyday and I cannot decide. La Fuerza sounds super good? Fundies? How different is the Siglo line compared to the CORO and Piramide? Im really leaning towards the fundadores but I just dont know. Im looking for something different than what I have. Ive never had a cuban older than 4 years…should I get an aged box? Try singles? What would you guys do? What do you suggest? I dont really have a need for smaller sizes as my time is 2 or more hours a week. Ive just randomly gravitated towards larger sizes but open to whatever. I really have no idea. Thank you!   

You seem to be lacking Trinidad, and I noticed you mentioned fundies. Man, I love Trinidad, though I've only had three types, I went in for a box of Coloniales. Absolutely wonderful. 

And speaking of siglo, I definitely believe Trinidad has more flavor than the siglos I've tried, but keep in mind my taste is shot and I rely a lot on smell. 

I'm waiting until late September before making another CC purchase. I have a vacation starting Monday and will be in Houston so I can go to an actual cigar store. But this said, I'm considering a box of fundies myself.

12 minutes ago, Lrabold89 said:

"challenging" aka not for everybody....to me most of these cigars that 99 mentions have something off-putting and cheap tasting about them (except for the boli lib and no 1, which i think he provides an excellent explanation about).....that extra verve and "thing" hes talking about is either appealing or its not.....i think staying in the "sweet spot" is the most enjoyable place to be .....nothign wrong with takign the chance to see if these other cigars are for you, just gonna be hit or miss...great advice altogether from 99 i just liketo cavaet what hes saying to me seems more like if you want to be daring/try to be different but no gurantee to be likeable 

yep, would definitely agree,  As ever it all centres around my firm conviction that the greatest gastronomic experiences, are refined, rich, complex, but it's the extra dimension of something slightly rotten, Umami, or a undefinable morishness, that elevates that experience into the 100 pointer.  Whether it be long aged beef that almost develops a sweet blue cheese depth of flavour,  or the addictive saltiness of botarga,  or the nutty earthiness of truffles.    

I do agree it's not appealing to everyone, and that things can incredibly impressive without it,   but to me I do not find cigars without it "interesting", but merely very very enjoyable.   and again, yes there is nothing lesser about those Rolls Royce cigar experiences,  they just resonate in different part of the brain for me,  I sort of empty headed enjoyment.      For me the ideal and the cigar i'm always looking for is the Rolls Royce cigar that also has that extra dimension.    Des Dieux, LGC Med 2, 2008 898's, old band Fundies, Bolivar Inmensas,  RG Lonsdales & CE   etc etc. 

But I can completely see these touches of musty, meaty, overly floral, salty or sour flavours can come as un-welcomed, spoiling factors

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lrabold89 said:

i think the gran Quixote fits the bill as far as rolls royce with the extra dimension, no?   

Yup,   to me the the Quixote is Monte Especial meet a very good RGPC.  i.e. it's got all of that rich luxurious dark chocolate and intense creaminess.   but it's also got the unusual elements of Rafael Gonzalez,  musty elements of buttery popcorn and roasted chestnuts. 

I went deep on the second release of the GQ,  the majority of them seemed to have the dark chocolate wrappers that were also seen on lots of the 2018 Monte Especial of the same time period.  The wrapper aroma cold smells exactly the same too, I'd be amazed if they weren't sourced from the same regional crop. 

• Like 2