Cuaba Divinos - What did I get myself into?

So, just as I was waiting for yesterday's 24:24 to come up, I happened to be at some local brewery in northern Virginia and was trying out an imperial stout that basically tasted like peanut butter :)  When the list of cigars were posted and I saw the peanut butter reference on the Cuabas I said to myself it was meant to be and sent the email off.  I never have had any of the Cuaba cigars before and looking up some reviews online, I am getting some mixed feelings about it.  I am however a sucker for perfectos and these looked like about the same size as an AF short story or best seller.  So what did I get myself into and what should I expect from this cigar?

• Like 1

I’m all in for the peanut butter. I found one in TN ( local? I don’t know yet) calls Left Hand Milk Stout that just blows me away with a Punch 898. I’m almost to the point that I will only smoke an 898 with them. It’s that good to me.

• Thanks 1

If you've never had a Cuaba before it's a unique profile. I can't say I completely agree with the peanut description but I know what they're getting at. I've always liked Cuaba personally.

As far as the Divinos, they're the most well-received Cuaba and they usually perform well. I wouldn't worry about getting total duds. 

• Thanks 1

in some of the online reviews I see people commenting about hints of caramel or some fruitiness.  What time of day would you smoke this?  Is it more of a morning smoke to go with coffee or something to have after a meal?

53 minutes ago, Ardan said:

in some of the online reviews I see people commenting about hints of caramel or some fruitiness.  What time of day would you smoke this?  Is it more of a morning smoke to go with coffee or something to have after a meal?

Cuabas aren't light cigars. They tend to be medium to medium plus. If you like stronger cigars the Divinos could be an after lunch cigar. Otherwise I would smoke it after dinner. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Cuabas aren't light cigars. They tend to be medium to medium plus. If you like stronger cigars the Divinos could be an after lunch cigar. Otherwise I would smoke it after dinner. 

I would concur with this. Cuaba isn't generally light. With the Cuaba Divinos you're best to expect them to pack a punch in toasted tobacco too.

• Like 3

I like them but the peanut butter note is more like a Chico-o-stick or center of a butterfinger to my pallet. It tastes like it peanut butter but in a fake candy way. Also love that Left Hand Stout mentioned by @Nevrknow that’s some great stuff. I will be pairing it with an 898 soon. 

• Thanks 1

They're certainly divisive, but if you're getting handpicked or picking your own I'd be confident of getting a good set of them. I think one of the main issues with Cuaba is that they can often be rolled poorly and/or have less than great tobacco, but getting handpicked you're bypassing both issues and hopefully right into the showcase of what they can do 👍

13 hours ago, Nevrknow said:

I’m all in for the peanut butter. I found one in TN ( local? I don’t know yet) calls Left Hand Milk Stout that just blows me away with a Punch 898. I’m almost to the point that I will only smoke an 898 with them. It’s that good to me.

Left hand is a brewery in Longmont, Colorado

• Thanks 1

Can't say that I have ever tasted peanut butter with a Cuaba, and quit buying Divinos due to too many plugged or extremely tight rolls.

Moved up to the Traditionales and have had no issues and like that they aren't over with so quickly

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Noticed the plugging issue.  I guess that is what the perfect draw is for.
Yeah, unfortunately when I was debating between the Modus II tool and the PerfecDraw tool for a Christmas present from my sister, I went with the Modus as it seemed more popular and seemed highly regarded.

Regret that decision as the modus only works for plugs, but does nothing to help a tightly rolled Cigar, likely because it only has 1 barb.

Also its significantly fatter, so it will badly crack the wrapper on anything under like 46rg, and most tight rolls are with smaller rg smokes

Have a PerfecDraw on the way now fortunately

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smbauerllc said:

Yeah, unfortunately when I was debating between the Modus II tool and the PerfecDraw tool for a Christmas present from my sister, I went with the Modus as it seemed more popular and seemed highly regarded.

Regret that decision as the modus only works for plugs, but does nothing to help a tightly rolled Cigar, likely because it only has 1 barb.

Also its significantly fatter, so it will badly crack the wrapper on anything under like 46rg, and most tight rolls are with smaller rg smokes

Have a PerfecDraw on the way now fortunately

There's a couple of vids on how to use the PD knocking around, it's kind of a drilling action then a straight pull back so you never stress the wrapper at all. I think YouTube should have it?

There's a couple of vids on how to use the PD knocking around, it's kind of a drilling action then a straight pull back so you never stress the wrapper at all. I think YouTube should have it?
Yeah, that's how someone explained it to me.

I'll check online to be sure though.

It just arrived and is like a quarter of the diameter of the Modus II so should work just fine with small rg Cigars.

• Like 2