Cuaba Divinos - What did I get myself into?


Recommended Posts

So, just as I was waiting for yesterday's 24:24 to come up, I happened to be at some local brewery in northern Virginia and was trying out an imperial stout that basically tasted like peanut butter :)  When the list of cigars were posted and I saw the peanut butter reference on the Cuabas I said to myself it was meant to be and sent the email off.  I never have had any of the Cuaba cigars before and looking up some reviews online, I am getting some mixed feelings about it.  I am however a sucker for perfectos and these looked like about the same size as an AF short story or best seller.  So what did I get myself into and what should I expect from this cigar?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m all in for the peanut butter. I found one in TN ( local? I don’t know yet) calls Left Hand Milk Stout that just blows me away with a Punch 898. I’m almost to the point that I will only smoke an 898 with them. It’s that good to me.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you've never had a Cuaba before it's a unique profile. I can't say I completely agree with the peanut description but I know what they're getting at. I've always liked Cuaba personally.

As far as the Divinos, they're the most well-received Cuaba and they usually perform well. I wouldn't worry about getting total duds. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

in some of the online reviews I see people commenting about hints of caramel or some fruitiness.  What time of day would you smoke this?  Is it more of a morning smoke to go with coffee or something to have after a meal?

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Ardan said:

in some of the online reviews I see people commenting about hints of caramel or some fruitiness.  What time of day would you smoke this?  Is it more of a morning smoke to go with coffee or something to have after a meal?

Cuabas aren't light cigars. They tend to be medium to medium plus. If you like stronger cigars the Divinos could be an after lunch cigar. Otherwise I would smoke it after dinner. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Cuabas aren't light cigars. They tend to be medium to medium plus. If you like stronger cigars the Divinos could be an after lunch cigar. Otherwise I would smoke it after dinner. 

I would concur with this. Cuaba isn't generally light. With the Cuaba Divinos you're best to expect them to pack a punch in toasted tobacco too.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like them but the peanut butter note is more like a Chico-o-stick or center of a butterfinger to my pallet. It tastes like it peanut butter but in a fake candy way. Also love that Left Hand Stout mentioned by @Nevrknow that’s some great stuff. I will be pairing it with an 898 soon. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  They're certainly divisive, but if you're getting handpicked or picking your own I'd be confident of getting a good set of them. I think one of the main issues with Cuaba is that they can often be rolled poorly and/or have less than great tobacco, but getting handpicked you're bypassing both issues and hopefully right into the showcase of what they can do 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Nevrknow said:

I’m all in for the peanut butter. I found one in TN ( local? I don’t know yet) calls Left Hand Milk Stout that just blows me away with a Punch 898. I’m almost to the point that I will only smoke an 898 with them. It’s that good to me.

Left hand is a brewery in Longmont, Colorado

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't say that I have ever tasted peanut butter with a Cuaba, and quit buying Divinos due to too many plugged or extremely tight rolls.

Moved up to the Traditionales and have had no issues and like that they aren't over with so quickly

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
Noticed the plugging issue.  I guess that is what the perfect draw is for.
Yeah, unfortunately when I was debating between the Modus II tool and the PerfecDraw tool for a Christmas present from my sister, I went with the Modus as it seemed more popular and seemed highly regarded.

Regret that decision as the modus only works for plugs, but does nothing to help a tightly rolled Cigar, likely because it only has 1 barb.

Also its significantly fatter, so it will badly crack the wrapper on anything under like 46rg, and most tight rolls are with smaller rg smokes

Have a PerfecDraw on the way now fortunately

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smbauerllc said:

Yeah, unfortunately when I was debating between the Modus II tool and the PerfecDraw tool for a Christmas present from my sister, I went with the Modus as it seemed more popular and seemed highly regarded.

Regret that decision as the modus only works for plugs, but does nothing to help a tightly rolled Cigar, likely because it only has 1 barb.

Also its significantly fatter, so it will badly crack the wrapper on anything under like 46rg, and most tight rolls are with smaller rg smokes

Have a PerfecDraw on the way now fortunately

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 

  There's a couple of vids on how to use the PD knocking around, it's kind of a drilling action then a straight pull back so you never stress the wrapper at all. I think YouTube should have it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  There's a couple of vids on how to use the PD knocking around, it's kind of a drilling action then a straight pull back so you never stress the wrapper at all. I think YouTube should have it?
Yeah, that's how someone explained it to me.

I'll check online to be sure though.

It just arrived and is like a quarter of the diameter of the Modus II so should work just fine with small rg Cigars.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rather have Fuente Short Story or H. Upmann Half Coronas are way better than Cubana Divinos. Half the box of Divinos will be so tightly rolled and a waste of tobacco 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.