Bolivar Gold Medal

So, I was recently bombed yet again on another forum and included was a 2004 Bolivar Gold Medal.

It was visible in a pic of my humidor setup and was noticed by an admin and he was extremely eager to trade me for it.

Anyone ever have one of these (not necessarily as aged) and able to give a brief review?

His serious interest, plus the fact I added it to my inventory app's wishlist section back in 2010 for some reason, has really peaked my interest in learning a little about it.

Thanks,

Sean

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

A quick search generates 17 pages of previous threads that mention the cigar:
https://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/search/?q=bolivar gold medal&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Sorry, I did search, but I'm using Tapatalk and the search engine kinda sucks.

Thanks for the link

One of the original ‘gimmick cigars’ with the flashy gold foil. Best part was, the foil didn’t drive up the price to an unreasonable level, as it does now, thanks to being discontinued & not many left. Secondary market on these is absurd. They are/were an average to sometimes above average smoke for me. Nothing more. Granted, been a long while now since I’ve had one & they’re long gone in my humi. 

BCEs were far better IMO in every sense. Of course, also no longer in production unfortunately.

If the dude who wants it is offering something interesting, and at the secondary market value…I’d take it personally.  

4 minutes ago, coug28 said:

One of the original ‘gimmick cigars’ with the flashy gold foil. Best part was, the foil didn’t drive up the price to an unreasonable level, as it does now, thanks to being discontinued & not many left. Secondary market on these is absurd. They are/were an average to sometimes above average smoke for me. Nothing more. Granted, been a long while now since I’ve had one & they’re long gone in my humi. 

BCEs were far better IMO in every sense. Of course, also no longer in production unfortunately.

If the dude who wants it is offering something interesting, and at the secondary market value…I’d take it personally.  

Agree. For me they were average Boli sticks. Mine long gone. Had at least 5 boxes. BCE imo much better. In fairness I did not age any BGM for very long. 

@coug28

Happen to know the secondary market value for a 2004, or know where I could look it up?
He says its worth $50, and I'm inclined to believe him as he is very knowledgeable about this type of thing especially, and seems like an honest, stand up guy, especially being an admin on the forum, but would love to verify it if possible

6 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

Happen to know the secondary market value for a 2004, or know where I could look it up?
He says its worth $50, and I'm inclined to believe him as he is very knowledgeable about this type of thing especially, and seems like an honest, stand up guy, especially being an admin on the forum, but would love to verify it if possible

The last 3 boxes sold on BR for $750+.   They were not the Wolters edition of 2004 that you have.   Yours is worth slightly more.

3 hours ago, coug28 said:
$50 is ‘fair’ for a single. Boxes of 10 are going for $600+ without issue. 

Cool, as long as he covers shipping too, I'll let him have it.

Aged, rare,discontinued, etc smokes don't really do anything special for me anyway, and it seems to me in my experience that past 10 years they become too mild for my liking.

Saving the $50 plus shipping would allow me to add a box of 10 LFdC Elegidos to my October order so I feel I come out a winner.

Thanks for the confirmation, much appreciated

3 hours ago, MrGinger said:
The last 3 boxes sold on BR for $750+.   They were not the Wolters edition of 2004 that you have.   Yours is worth slightly more.

The bomber I got it from did mention Wolters for it in his list of what he sent, but that means nothing to me as this isnt an area I'm very knowledgeable about.

What would you consider the value for that edition?
@MrGinger

12 hours ago, smbauerllc said:

The bomber I got it from did mention Wolters for it in his list of what he sent, but that means nothing to me as this isnt an area I'm very knowledgeable about.

Christoph Wolters of LCDH Hamburg via 5th Ave privately commissioned the first LCDH Boli GMs in 2004. They did sport the typical LCDH extra band and are identical in appearance to 2007-2011 versions of the LCDH BGM. According to reports "several thousand" boxes of the Wolters 2004 version were produced and sold exclusively through LCDH Hamburg. The success of the Wolters release presumably inspired HSA to introduce the BGM as a formal worldwide LCDH release in 2007.

At the time the LCDH program was new and HSA planned many or all releases as limited, therefore many were ultimately discontinued like the three San Cristobals, BGM and LGC Inmensos while others have survived to today like the Party Culebras, Salomones, HU Noellas and RAS. There has not been a cut of any LCDH cigar introduced after 2011. 

By all accounts, the 2004 Wolters BGMs were very well received and considered excellent as opposed to the 2007-2011 versions which seemed to have mixed reviews or were only slightly positive. The Wolters release would always carry a significant premium over the 07-11 for those reasons (age, more rare, positive reviews).

I can tell you I have smoked around 15-20 sticks of the 07-11 BGMs and I was not particularly impressed. The last one I would have had was probably around 2011. They may have changed significantly since then but at the time they simply tasted like a fresh, average Bolivar. 

• Like 2

• JohnS changed the title to Bolivar Gold Medal
40 minutes ago, Lrabold89 said:
Man at this point it seems like you could make a living off of all the cigars you’re gifted ….enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I honestly don't know why but its been relentless bombs over the last couple months.

Mostly from the ***** ****** forums, but a few from **** and ****** ** ******** too

11 minutes ago, JohnS said:
No need to mention those other forums directly in your reply, [mention=34576]smbauerllc[/mention] (which I asterisked out). Also, please don't forget the underlying premise in our Habanos culture of the importance of giving. Generosity can take many forms other than giving out cigars for others to try. It's just as helpful to share in-depth knowledge which assists other members with their inventory and acquisitions.

Sorry, didn't mean to do anything wrong by mentioning the forums.

I have definitely gained a lot of great knowledge on every forum as well whenever I have a question about something.

• Like 1

Not trying to profit at all. I clearly stated in my op that I was looking for information, opinions and reviews.

Price only came up because some posters mentioned the rarity of this particular cigar.

When I did state I would consider selling it, it was because rare, aged, and expensive Cigars are wasted on me as I don't find them to be anything special and find recent production of everything to be just fine.

If it could go to someone who could appreciate it, then why not swap it out for something I will actually enjoy and wont be wasted on me?

I'm quite sure that the bomber wanted me to have something I would enjoy, not just sit around collecting dust, and not being appreciated when I did smoke it.

I know that is how I feel whenever I give someone some Cigar.

Its to make them happy when smoking them, and if I send something that just isn't for them, I would be fine with them doing whatever they please with their cigars, including swapping them for something they will enjoy, since that's the whole point.

My first instinct was similar to yadegar…but as the cigar was gifted to you, and you weren’t outwardly seeking resale of it, I wouldn’t feel bad in this instance. Trying to make certain you obtain top dollar for it, however, that’s a different animal…and hence why I said the price was fair when you asked. You like & trust him…everyone wins. 

Be happy with your transaction & move on with pursuing purchase of smokes you enjoy. That’s what we’re all here to do in the end. Share info, pics & knowledge about a hobby/lifestyle we are all privileged enough to share. 

Cheers! 🥃

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

No need to mention those other forums directly in your reply, @smbauerllc (which I asterisked out). Also, please don't forget the underlying premise in our Habanos culture of the importance of giving. Generosity can take many forms other than giving out cigars for others to try. It's just as helpful to share in-depth knowledge which assists other members with their inventory and acquisitions.

I love that link. I've found that the cigars I give away, especially to first time Habano smokers, are as enjoyable as the ones I smoke. 

• Like 1

Its really not like I didn't very much appreciate it, as I certainly did, and thanked him profusely for his bomb, and the BGM in particular.

After learning the story behind it, it just belonged with someone who would be able to appreciate it like it should be, not with someone who doesn't care for aged cigars and enjoys recent production JLP's, Fonsecas, Quinteros and LFdC's (among many other more pricey, better regarded cigars).

Its not like I sold it for profit. No money even exchanged hands. It simply wiped out the debt on 10 Cigars I had bought from him, and also am able to roll over the savings to get another box of 10 next month I wouldn't have otherwise been able to get.

Such a cigar would have been wasted on me, and that's what I would find disrespectful to the bomber.

It belonged with someone who can truly appreciate it

I'm quite sure that the purpose of the bomb was to make me happy and by being able to give it to someone who can appreciate it and get 20 regular, recent production Cigars, I certainly am happy.

I think the approach I would take if someone wanted a cigar I received as a gift, that I didn't want to smoke, would be to gift it to them and leave it up to them if they wanted to gift something back in return.

• Like 2

What is done is done but I think you should have just smoked it. Even if other rare and aged cigars never did anything for you, if you haven't smoked this specific one you have no way to know if this maybe was going to be the one that would blow you away. Considering that it costed you nothing it was a zero risk proposition for you, plus allowing someone to experience a cigar they might not otherwise be able/willing to buy I believe is the goal behind most gifted cigars, or at lest it is for me.

Additionally I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) that what JohnS was talking about was the fact that by writing a review, or even just sharing some thoughts, after smoking that cigar you could "give back" to the cigar community as a way to repay the generosity you were shown.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Hemclas said:
I think the approach I would take if someone wanted a cigar I received as a gift, that I didn't want to smoke, would be to gift it to them and leave it up to them if they wanted to gift something back in return.

I actually offered, but he wanted to make sure it was an equitable sale or trade, and that I was happy with my end.

He really had nothing to trade other than rare, aged, discontinued and high end smokes, so a trade would have put me back in the same position.

Ultimately it was basically a trade as he cancelled the debt I owed for some regular production Cigars I was buying from him, which also freed up enough money for October for an additional box i wouldn't have otherwise been able to get.

6 hours ago, Enduin said:
What is done is done but I think you should have just smoked it. Even if other rare and aged cigars never did anything for you, if you haven't smoked this specific one you have no way to know if this maybe was going to be the one that would blow you away. Considering that it costed you nothing it was a zero risk proposition for you, plus allowing someone to experience a cigar they might not otherwise be able/willing to buy I believe is the goal behind most gifted cigars, or at lest it is for me.
Additionally I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) that what JohnS was talking about was the fact that by writing a review, or even just sharing some thoughts, after smoking that cigar you could "give back" to the cigar community as a way to repay the generosity you were shown.

I understand where you are coming from, but after 50+ aged and Vintage Cigars, I think its pretty clear that they are just wasted on me and a review most likely wouldn't have been very good, so it really wouldn't help anybody who enjoys rare, aged, etc smokes.

If anything, it likely would have given them a bad impression of a cigar they would think was stellar.

Plus, when I give someone Cigars, my goal is for them to be happy, and if that means trading off something I gave them for something they would enjoy better, then I'm all for it and have succeeded in making them happy

44 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

I understand where you are coming from, but after 50+ aged and Vintage Cigars, I think its pretty clear that they are just wasted on me and a review most likely wouldn't have been very good, so it really wouldn't help anybody who enjoys rare, aged, etc smokes.

It's good that you've come to this realization, but these "relentless" cigar bombs came from somewhere and were not random, especially of vintage cigars. I've been in this hobby very seriously for just over a year and have given out one bomb and received one bomb, and also was given a bunch of plugged cigars to play with, which I suppose is a second bomb too.

47 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

Plus, when I give someone Cigars, my goal is for them to be happy, and if that means trading off something I gave them for something they would enjoy better, then I'm all for it and have succeeded in making them happy

This applies more so to a birthday gift from a family member and for a spontaneous gift from a kind stranger, I think not so much. They went out of their way to give you a rare cigar for you to try (one you actually expressed interest in), not to trade in for debt relief or other common cigars.

• Like 4