Bolivar Gold Medal

5 hours ago, Bijan said:
This applies more so to a birthday gift from a family member and for a spontaneous gift from a kind stranger, I think not so much. They went out of their way to give you a rare cigar for you to try (one you actually expressed interest in), not to trade in for debt relief or other common cigars.

I'm confident that the purpose was for me to enjoy it and be happy with it, and experience has told me that It wasn't for me. I would think the bomber would want me to smoke something I will enjoy, as that's the whole point.

He likely wasn't aware that aged Cigars are definitely not my thing. The vast majority I have had were bland and flavorless to me, or way too mild at best, and my many reviews of them reflected this.

It wasn't really debt relief as much as it was a trade. Its not like I owed him for something other than cigars he had already sent me. It wasn't from a lost bet, or something non-cigar related. It was making the 10 Cigars I got from him free, so a trade vs a sale.

Plus it freed up enough for me to get an extra box of ones I really like in my October order as well, which makes me happy, and again, thats the point. I will get much more enjoyment out of the 2 boxes than I ever would have with the BGM.

If aged, rare, expensive, etc cigars were something I enjoyed, I certainly would have kept it for a special occasion to smoke it, but that just isn't the case with me.

I honestly don't really know why I have gotten so many Cigars bombed to me. But I have kept and/or smoked them all until now, and have learned that what most others think are special, precious, sought after, etc Cigars just aren't for me, and the vast majority have come from a different forum, and its pretty common knowledge that they aren't my thing and send ordinary, regular production Cigars now.

It could be that they just like or appreciate my contribution to the forum, which has been specifically mentioned to me multiple times. I always strive to be a respected, valued, contributing forum member.

The aged and Vintage ones were from early on when it was known that I had never had any. And none were expensive or high end Cigars until this one, which I truly believe is better in the collection of someone I know will be able to truly enjoy this rare and special treat, rather than being wasted on me just for the sake of smoking it because it was a gift.

4 hours ago, Lrabold89 said:
I think it’s fairly obvious why you’re always getting cigar bombs

And if I was the bomber, and found out you sold/traded a very rare and valuable cigar that I surprise gifted you, I would be especially disappointed……it doesn’t tatter if “the point is that he was trying to make you happy and you don’t enjoy aged cigars” blah blah blah blah and you just wanted to trade it for something you would enjoy better …..TOTALLY irrelevant! ….you should smoke the cigar or pass the bomb on and gift it …..it’s just cigar ethics plain and simple ……you seem to have done a good job convincing yourself that you’re doing the right/acceptable thing, but no one else seems to agree with your train of thought …..that’s my final 2 cents ….you enjoy either way buddy ..cheers

I did offer to just gift it to him, and he refused and wanted to make an equitable trade instead, but all he smokes are aged and high end smokes, so this was the best solution I could come up with

Plus I will eventually surprise him with a bomb, just as I have done with other people who have bombed me, so I feel I'm following Cigar ethics just fine.

Enlighten me on why you think its obvious why I keep getting bombed on one particular forum, as it isn't really obvious to me other than some having said I was a good member and they enjoyed my posts and contributions

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You started a thread this week asking for cigar boxes and then turned down an offer because you didn’t want to pay $20 for shipping. Seems pretty clear to me you are fishing for bombs. My final 2 cents on the subject as well
How is asking for a few empty boxes to put some of my Cigars in fishing for bombs?

Also, I don't have $20, so it wasn't a possibility to pay that for shipping. Pretty simple

Plus I really didn't have a need for that many boxes, only need a few is all

3 hours ago, smbauerllc said:

I understand where you are coming from, but after 50+ aged and Vintage Cigars, I think its pretty clear that they are just wasted on me and a review most likely wouldn't have been very good, so it really wouldn't help anybody who enjoys rare, aged, etc smokes.

If anything, it likely would have given them a bad impression of a cigar they would think was stellar.

Plus, when I give someone Cigars, my goal is for them to be happy, and if that means trading off something I gave them for something they would enjoy better, then I'm all for it and have succeeded in making them happy

Look, different strokes for different folks. My opinion is that I don't judge something without having tried it. Even if similar things gave me a distinct impression. Too many times something that I expected to be a certain way proved to be totally different.

However, I do have to respectfully disagree with your opinion that your review would have been pointless because you can't fully appreciate a "special" cigar. Not everybody has a super refined palate and opinions from all sorts of different people are what makes the community great. Say that next month/year another guy who doesn't have the most amazing palate is on the fence about buying a box of Bolivar Gold Medal. He's intrigued but they are very expensive and they would wipe out his cigar budget for a few months. So, he goes online to read reviews and all he finds are reviews of people with very refined palates who love the BGM (not saying that this is true, this just an example). He decides to buy the box and when he smokes them he is sorely disappointed because he spent all that money on cigars that to him taste just like other much cheaper cigars. If instead he had the chance to read a review from someone like you who would likely say something along the lines of:

"It's a good cigar but it's wasted on me because I don't have a good palate and I'd rather spend my money on cheaper cigars"

He would probably decide against the purchase and buy something cheaper that would ultimately make him happier.

That's why the Prez and the other senior members always say that ALL reviews and opinions are welcome, as long as they are genuine. Anybody can contribute to the knowledge of the community and help out other members with their insight.

• Like 1

And ended up getting the guy to ship them to him for free because he felt bad …and the guy will probably include some cigars because he’s generous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually not getting boxes from that person, dont need that many, so getting just a few from someone else. Get your facts straight before trying to put me down.

If the person who is sending a few boxes decides to include Cigars, that's on him. I certainly didn't ask or hint at, any

11 minutes ago, Lrabold89 said:

And ended up getting the guy to ship them to him for free because he felt bad …and the guy will probably include some cigars because he’s generous emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure and then those cigars that weren't asked for will be used as trade bait or profit. Continual cycle of exploiting generosity and pleading ignorance to justify it

• Like 2

Simply being curious about the value of a gift is not inappropriate. 

If one decides to sell a gift, that is between the gifter and the recipient. I recall recently Nino selling a box of pre-Rev cigars on BR gifted to him by MRN with MRN giving his permission to do so. We don't necessarily know what the relationship between a giver and recipient is or what the situation of the recipient is, such as selling a gift in an emergency situation. I'm sure any gifter (or anyone for that matter) would understand selling a gift to pay for a child's open heart surgery. 

Disclaimer: I'm speaking generally here and not referring specifically to the OP.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lrabold89 said:

Your point is well taken but I think a bit off the mark in terms of the OPs situation

As per my disclaimer, I am in no way addressing the OP--only comments I perceived as general criticism of selling gifted items. 

• Like 1