Favorite all time movie/monologue

Seeing as we are sharing some music tonight, figured I’d ask what favorite cinematic experiences the group here enjoys. 

My personal top 3 film of all time, due to the very believable bond between Williams and Damon….this one will stand the test of time for me. 

For me, the Sir Winston of movies. What’s yours??? 

• Like 4

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Big Lebowski. Yes, it's a film that lost money at the box office in 1998 and has since become an all-time cult classic. There's too many easily quotable lines from that film I can include but the

the jail scene from 'the replacements' - a movie i love. best sports movie ever! 

toss in a couple of scenes from 'the full monty' but especially, the scene in the dole office where they are in a queue with 'hot stuff' playing. doesn't need words. brilliant. first time i saw it in the cinema, i completely lost it. spat food about six rows. still can't see it without giggling. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

*I'm not a great big Steven Segal fan, but his one big movie, "Under Siege" has a dialog in it that I can watch it for over and over again because so many of us in emergency services have experienced it: and that's when he tells Tommy Lee Jones, the terrorist "We're all puppets in the same sick play. We both serve the same master: and he's a lunatic and he's ungrateful..."  I can listen to that again and again and again because of how much we've experienced it.

• Like 1

Just now, taylorgov2 said:

Robert Shaw's USS Indianapolis scene is my All-Time favorite and its not even close.

great choice. brilliant stuff. 

my old man used to sing the 'show me the way to go home' song so i remember seeing this film (and not going in the water for three decades) and loving how they were sitting around like mates would. and then that story from shaw. blew me away.

you've reminded me of another if i can find it. 

another one of those moments in films with mates being mates before the crap lands - from the deer hunter. first time i saw this, that scene was just so relatable. so easy to imagine the squillion times in a pub with mates and music and beers and fun. amazing film but it always stunned me that this moment seemed to be ignored amongst everything else in the film.

then i was watching 'rake' - best aussie series ever about a dodgy lawyer who is so non PC, wonderfully funny stuff - he and his best mate are sitting at some party outside, drunk, arguing, and then this song comes on. one says to the other, "the deer hunter song" and they both stop arguing and rush off to stumble around the dance. floor. i was delighted as i realised i was not the only person for whom it meant something. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, GaryK 54 said:

The Blues Brothers is full of great lines, but this is one of my all time favorites.
Elwood: it’s 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it’s dark... and we’re wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it. 

if i had a dollar for every time i or one of my mates has quoted that to each other....

also, 'no ma'am, we're on a mission from god'.

and 'how much for the little girl?' (probably not PC these days but it was very funny). 

great film. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ken Gargett said:

if i had a dollar for every time i or one of my mates has quoted that to each other....

also, 'no ma'am, we're on a mission from god'.

and 'how much for the little girl?' (probably not PC these days but it was very funny). 

great film. 

Alas, so many great films that have non PC lines: would never be made today.

Also love the line from the old geezer in the common room of the flophouse where Elwood rents a room... “Did you get me my Cheez Whiz, boy”

One thing is for certain. True classic cinema is going the way of the dinosaur. All remakes and super hero flicks. Only makes me appreciate the older/nostalgic flicks that much more. 

Hopefully can compile a ‘need to watch list’ of some things posted here. Already at least a couple here I haven’t watched (Deer Hunter being one of em’ that looks like a winner). 

9 minutes ago, Heels82 said:

Such a great movie. Anyone who hasn’t taken it for a spin, I can’t think of any other movie that would help complete a nice Sunday afternoon than Goodwill Hunting. Also is a nice introduction to a ‘young Rip’ from Yellowstone. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JohnS said:

The Big Lebowski. Yes, it's a film that lost money at the box office in 1998 and has since become an all-time cult classic. There's too many easily quotable lines from that film I can include but the one below always gives me a laugh!

yep. another all time classic. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Heels82 said:

What's the from Yellowstone part?    

One of the main characters, Rip, in the show Yellowstone (fantastic series in its own right) is one of the secondary characters/best buddies of Damon/Affleck in Goodwill Hunting. Small role for sure, but he plays one badass mofo in Yellowstone. Highly recommend if anyone hasn’t watched it. Can’t lose with Costner either. 

5 hours ago, taylorgov2 said:

Robert Shaw's USS Indianapolis scene in "Jaws" is my All-Time favorite and its not even close. 

I heard that the first time they did this Shaw rambled into a sort of self confessional about his own life, failures etc etc...... at the end they realised there was no film in the camera.    Hard to believe this isn't a first take, so much fluidity, harrowing tension, warmth and poise