Need advice

patrickamory

Hello all,

I'm a relative newbie and I need some help.

I just got back to my NYC apartment after 5 weeks away in midsummer. I opened my Daniel Marshall humidor and found that my Monte No. 4s had a light white powder on them, as per the pic.

The other cigars in the humi were untouched.

Anything to worry about?

Thanks!

Patrick

IMG_7111.JPG

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, patrickamory said:

Anything to worry about?

I would worry about your rH...:yes:

wipe them down gently with a moist paper towel. I like 2 oz distilled water with a drop of hydrogen peroxide. Air dry for 15 mins.

• Like 4

Good question about the RH, I aim for 61-63%, but it was at 68% (hot humid summer here, and while I've been away the AC has not been on).

So just wipe down with distilled water and try to bring the humidity down?

First, you can breathe easy they aren’t ruined. You can wipe them off and put them back. Check the foot for mold though. Some will say toss them if the foot is moldy. Check your humidor lining for mold as well.

From what the pics show, they are salvageable. But you may need to rest them for a bit longer. This was suggested to me when my wineador malfunctioned and I had whole boxes get damp. Someone made an interesting position that the cigars may go through an unintended maturation process. 

• Like 3

2F336A23-0379-494B-BE05-EF0974512810.jpeg.70786fb64b78d862c94e8d0791006690.jpeg

Some folks don’t bother wiping off the white powder.  I had the same on some Chiba Coro Esp and wiped em and checked on them periodically. No issues!

Believe me, the situation is not sugar coated. 🤓

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Heels82 said:

...you better listen to him Flounder, he's in pre-med.  

Thank you... this was where I hoped it would go :) 

• Like 1

I've got a DM and spotted the same issue years ago.  Caught it early.  Wiped the blinds/cover with Qtips dipped in alcohol air dried for a day or two.  Chucked the humidifier, replaced with Boveda.  All has been well for years.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bri Fi said:

Some will say toss them if the foot is moldy.

I run into this occasionally and honestly I could never bring myself to toss a cigar due to foot mold. I've had good results with dipping the foot into about 2mm of 5% hydrogen peroxide/distilled water solution for about 1 second and moving it right to a paper towel and tamping the foot gently to dry. Air dry for a few hours. Pretty much had 100% success with this method.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, patrickamory said:

Good question about the RH, I aim for 61-63%, but it was at 68% (hot humid summer here, and while I've been away the AC has not been on).

So just wipe down with distilled water and try to bring the humidity down?

A respectful suggestion. Never leave the AC off in the summer, especially if you are not there to monitor your cigars. As the temperature rose, so did your RH, causing mold growth. Also, for a desktop style humidor, you really can't beat Boveda pack for a stable environment. The foam element units that many of these style humidors come with are simply obsolete, and only emit humidity thereby causing the possibility of an over humidified environment. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NYgarman said:

A respectful suggestion. Never leave the AC off in the summer, especially if you are not there to monitor your cigars. As the temperature rose, so did your RH, causing mold growth. Also, for a desktop style humidor, you really can't beat Boveda pack for a stable environment. The foam element units that many of these style humidors come with are simply obsolete, and only emit humidity thereby causing the possibility of an over humidified environment. 

THIS.

Not only your cigars will be happier (but be careful if the humidor is not REALLY airtight you can easily end up with too low RH) but you will avoid more dangerous mold in your house as well.

Desktop humidors do not have any air flow if you don't introduce on purpose.  Very common for mold if are not regularly visiting the humidor.  Be careful on the RH and especially the temperature.  Both too high and you could have beetles hatching.

The mold pictured is no big deal wipe off and monitor.

On 9/1/2021 at 8:30 PM, patrickamory said:

Thanks again all, and all advice taken on board.

How did people cope before Bovedas?? 

Live in a humid environment and try to find things to absorb the humidity. Haha at least that's what I did. More of a dehumidification effort on my part. 

I remember mostly just sticking boxes and singles in ziplocks and hoping for the best. It worked well I think.