The 3 doomed romeo y julietas

I was morbidly looking through the list of current production CCs to try and guess what would be discontinued next, and 3 cigars really stand out in terms of being low profile even on this forum:

Cigar Name:
Vitola de Salida
Factory Name:
Vitola de Galera
Size
Ring x mm
Shape
Common Name
Relative Scale

Romeo y Julieta
Cedros de Luxe No.2  pre-1960 Coronas 42 x 142 (5⅝″) Corona Romeo y Julieta Cedros de Luxe No.2 Add box No stock Add cigar to wishlist
Cedros de Luxe No.3  pre-1960 Marevas 42 x 129 (5⅛″) Petit Corona Romeo y Julieta Cedros de Luxe No.3 Add box No stock Add cigar to wishlist
Petit Coronas  pre-1960 Marevas 42 x 129 (5⅛″) Petit Corona Romeo y Julieta Petit Coronas Add box View stock Add cigar to wishlist

Never see anyone smoke them. Never see anyone praise them. Price is not good at all, except on deep discount.

Anyone a fan? When was the last time you smoked one?

I feel like these are all relics of the past.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had a petit corona single around March/April based on my notes which was great! They have been out of my reach since, so I've been stuck with Mille Fleur and/or belvedere for the time being. What I'm trying to say is that I'd prefer paying the extra price for the pc, but if its not available the other two will suffice.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ites said:

Had a petit corona single around March/April based on my notes which was great! They have been out of my reach since, so I've been stuck with Mille Fleur and/or belvedere for the time being. What I'm trying to say is that I'd prefer paying the extra price for the pc, but if its not available the other two will suffice.

How does the Mille Fleur stack up with the PC? I'm interested in trying them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EnigmatiC said:

I bought a box of 2017 Petit Coronas and they have been outstanding; a lot of cherry sweetness, with cedar and leather drifting in and out. I bought another box (2021) which I'm giving some rest before I dive in.

Good to know they're still making them. I got a 2 box deal deep discount and they ended up being 2007 cardboard packs which were a bit flat. I'm trying to source some more recent ones to try and compare.

1 hour ago, Bijan said:

Good to know they're still making them. I got a 2 box deal deep discount and they ended up being 2007 cardboard packs which were a bit flat. I'm trying to source some more recent ones to try and compare.

I feel like they were a pain in the neck to find even before the current shortage but what do I know 

• Like 1

A friend of mine gave me a partial box of Cedros #3 a few years back. I thought they were good, but wouldn't go out of my way to buy any. 

• Like 2

I have been vaguely on the lookout for a box of Petit Coronas for the last year just because I only have them with the old band.

Dress boxes are very thin on the ground, however, a number of retailers seem to have an inexhaustible supply of 2007 stock in cardboard. Not a great sign.

Plenty of Cedros 2 and 3 around. Have also never seen anyone smoke either, and they don't have any reviews on CCW. Perhaps they're popular in Spain. If they do wind up being cut, well, while any discontinuation is a bit sad, I won't cry too much over these. Their packaging is a bit unique, but we have the Coronitas en Cedro and Cedros de Luxe to carry it on, and there are enough similar sized cigars in Romeo without them.

• Like 3

My box of 2016 Romeo Petite Coronas has no cherry taste at all, just tobacco--probably the most disappointing box I own.    After smoking a few of them I gave up and hid them deep in the coolerdor--could be another decade before I try again...

Romeos are great when they are on, and very irritating when they are not.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cairo said:

My box of 2016 Romeo Petite Coronas has no cherry taste at all, just tobacco--probably the most disappointing box I own. 

That's how I feel about my 2007 ones. But I assumed it was due to storage in carton pack. But others have enjoyed singles I have gifted/ traded from the boxes so 🤷‍♂️

41 minutes ago, Bijan said:

I'm pretty sure I saw it on the blog:

https://www.duskybeauties.com/cuaba-salomones-coleccion-habanos-2001/

"When the sales of a particular cigar brand are low to non-existent (Fonseca, for example), and yet the brand remains inexplicably in production while far more worthy cigars are discontinued, the rational Habanos generally gives is that they are “popular in Spain.” Cuaba has been popular in Spain for a while now. A cigar store clerk friend of mine once told me that he has a customer in his store that buys a box of five Cuaba Diademas (the 55 x 233mm [9.1″!] flagship – a massive foil-wrapped cigar, that although spectacular to behold, is totally unsmokable) every week, no doubt accounting for the majority of global sales."

Oh, it's there too. Wonderful! 👍

I had the No. 3 at a rum and cigar tasting in Cuba in 2018.  Wasn't impressed, but it could have been the rum and they rushed us.  I'm not a fan of dark rum or being rushed for that matter.  😁

I did purchase a box of Coronitas en Cedro for what was $76 USD while there and really liked them the first month I was home and then put them away for awhile.  Smoked one a month or so ago and didn't care for it so I'll leave them alone for another year and if they never come back around no big deal.  I know this wasn't on your list of 3, but similar in size.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lomey said:

I did purchase a box of Coronitas en Cedro for what was $76 USD while there and really liked them the first month I was home and then put them away for awhile.  Smoked one a month or so ago and didn't care for it so I'll leave them alone for another year and if they never come back around no big deal.  I know this wasn't on your list of 3, but similar in size.

Yeah I didn't list the Coronitas in Cedros because they're priced like the cheaper RyJs, but the Cedros 2 and 3 and the PCs are priced somewhere between BPC and Monte 4s.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Meklown said:

the number of different mareva/pc sizes still left within ryj is pretty baffling to me, considering they discontinued a number of other (more popular) pcs in recent years (hupc, spnp)

Hupc and spnp were both unpopular outside of here. RyJ is one of the best selling marcas due to non connoisseur demand. At one point they were tied with Partagas for dollar sales:

The above 3 cigars I listed are the 2 Marevas and one corona that are equivalent to hupc and spnp though. The rest of the small RyJ cigars are half the price and don't compare at the same premium level. Though to me they punch above their weight compared to the equivalent small Partagas offerings (except the shorts), and the few other brand cheapies like h upmann majestics, regalias, Hoyos and punch Coronations etc.

edit: it is a bit baffling they cut those unpopular cigars and left these unpopular cigars but then again RyJ probably sold 5 times as many cigars as he upmann and probably 1000x Sancho Panza 😂

• Thanks 1