Fonseca No1 - ARG NOV 14 (JBWP2RW)

3 hours ago, Enduin said:

I'm starting to believe that my neighbors have a secret signal they use to communicate and come out in full force when they see me smoking a cigar...

Haha...welcome to my world. Honestly, you must live near me! 😂

Thanks too for the review, I've enjoyed these 2014 Fonseca No 1's myself, of late.

It’s the “leaf blowers” in our neighborhood.  Rakes, apparently, have lost their usefulness, as the incessant, infernal blower seemed to be the essential machine these days.  Thought about sending a note to everyone suggesting we choose the same day to do all of the “necessary” blowing :)

…On an oddly positive note, I’ve one neighbor who’s decided to move his drum kit outside during the nice weather (?!?).  At first, it struck me as “What the heck?  Who does that?”  …Then we started calling out songs for him to play — and it turns out he’s pretty good!   (…at least at “Roxanne” and some others. ...Not exactly a fan of Roxanne, btw (it was played on the radio way too much for what it is in my youth, IMO), but did think it was impressive when my wife yelled out the request and suddenly he played it.  We clapped at the time, now it's in his repertoire  :)

My neighbor is daily, sometimes 2x, cigar smoker out on his back patio. As he admits dog rocket stuff and nearly all with that raunchy rough NC aroma unfortunately (my take on smell) Anyhow, earlier this spring his wife yells at me for smoking out back in my yard saying she tries to keep a smoke free home and the cigar is blowing in through her windows. Was one of those moments that made me want to pack up and leave the burbs. Never win with people like that.

Bombed him like 8 nice cigars early on with zero thanks so that smoking relationship went nowhere, such a pity too since we all could only hope for such a close buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s the “leaf blowers” in our neighborhood.  Rakes, apparently, have lost their usefulness, as the incessant, infernal blower seemed to be the essential machine these days.  Thought about sending a note to everyone suggesting we choose the same day to do all of the “necessary” blowing
…On an oddly positive note, I’ve one neighbor who’s decided to move his drum kit outside during the nice weather (?!?).  At first, it struck me as “What the heck?  Who does that?”  …Then we started calling out songs for him to play — and it turns out he’s pretty good!   (…at least at “Roxanne” and some others.
A kid in a house that backed onto mine started playing drums about 5 years ago. It's been interesting hear him build up from ba-dum-dum to being quite competent. Fair play to the boy for keeping at it after a slow and decidedly unrythmic start.

Sent by spooky action at a distance

I've got a combo of all these neighbors. The ones to my left & right are great; actually kind of funny with the left as he's a sheriff deputy with 3 girls under the age on 8. They have a trampoline & love to sign to the latest Disney songs.

My "problem" neighbors are behind me. My house is on a slope that is higher than their lots, so I look down on their back yards. The dude behind me is a 70+ yr old "piddler" who love the blower, mower, and anything else that produces a tremendous amount of noise pollution. He'd be ok if he were nice (hope I'm still kicking around light that if I get that far), but he's a douche and yells at my dog. Worst part is he just cut down 2 perfectly healthy 40+ yr old Oak trees that perfectly shaded my backyard in the afternoons. Now my deck & West side of house gets beaten down from 3pm-8pm and I have to wait until sunset to enjoy a cigar out there due to the heat.

The devil himself invented the leaf blower to disturb any quiet enjoyment of living in the 'burbs. 

2 hours ago, griller said:

I'm still kicking around light that if I get that far

lol--I am almost there.

I have no real neighbors--moved _way_ out in the boonies--and I love dogs--even stray ones that decided to get a little "time out" from their owners in town.

🙂

Wow glad to see that it's not just me!!! I've been trying all sorts of avoidance strategies... a few months ago I waited until 6:30pm on a Saturday because I thought that one neighbor mowed the day before so there was no risk and the other always calls for a mowing company which would NEVER come out after 6:30pm on a Saturday right??? Within 3 puffs the lawn mowing company arrived and was mowing until 7:30pm at least... Guess the neighbor employs the hardest working mowing company on earth...

Thank you! Do you find that 6-7 years is the sweet spot with the Fonseca No1 or does it still have legs after that?

On 9/6/2021 at 2:12 AM, Cairo said:

lol--I am almost there.

I have no real neighbors--moved _way_ out in the boonies--and I love dogs--even stray ones that decided to get a little "time out" from their owners in town.

🙂

That sounds like a dream! I was able to buy a really small house with a decent size back yard last year (which was a nightmare very reminiscent of Ken's house troubles) and consider myself extremely lucky... The way real estate is now buying a house at all is quite the challenge.

Just smoked this very cigar tonight... I'm guessing we both bought from the same PCC lot.

Lovely nutty, toasty, mild and very slightly peppery, graham crackers and hay, beautiful construction. Fabulous with a Cabernet on a breezy early fall NYC evening outside.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Enduin said:

Thank you! Do you find that 6-7 years is the sweet spot with the Fonseca No1 or does it still have legs after that?

I too benefitted from the FOH offering of 2014 Fonseca's -- very thankfully.  

Unfortunately, I have no experience with older Fonsecas, so cannot advise on your question.  That said, I did find that even the 2014 had a bit more "green grass" flavor (and less of the "hay" I'd been hoping for) so my plan is to hold them some time further to see what transpires.  They are mild after all, but a "perfect mild" can be a truly delicious contrast at times; hoping this can become one.  ...All the best, 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, patrickamory said:

Just smoked this very cigar tonight... I'm guessing we both bought from the same PCC lot.

Lovely nutty, toasty, mild and very slightly peppery, graham crackers and hay, beautiful construction. Fabulous with a Cabernet on a breezy early fall NYC evening outside.

On the same band wagon :)  Bought two boxes when they first appeared and am about half way through the first with the idea of auctioning the second box.  They are fantastic!  Just about the perfect morning with coffee cigar.  Not sure I'll want to part with the other box now, haha!

• Like 2