Humidor Woes

Digi

It's been an interesting week around my house - two cabinet humidors came in.  One new and one used, bought locally and both with issues.

Back in April, I contacted Vigilant to build out a custom end table.  It arrived last week and looks absolutely stunning:

425041926_Vigilant-Imgur.jpg.f58e2911037bdb6b5fc5c601cf7a0687.jpg

893266380_Vigilant-Imgur(1).jpg.5de4116562f38fc7b33e8b0e14c7e680.jpg

1946746374_Vigilant-Imgur(2).jpg.3d83d9f654ad51a2cc5df29fc1177aab.jpg

The cabinet weighs 150 pounds and has awkward dimensions, definitely takes two to lift and shift.  My buddy and I tilt the cab, lift and start to slowly move it in.  About half way up the inside staircase, I hear a disconcerting "clunk" from the cabinet and the distinct sense that its weight has shifted.  Back downstairs to see what is going on and, to my horror, I see this:

IMG_0759.jpg.43dcd6c3d3ac13b9f53655b9805edad0.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg.17a80d888ff952cab6b70a2c60525641.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg.cd0543a8ec2bfe80541001cb8e0e9aec.jpg

The door's center panel of mahogany fell back into the cabinet.  After a close look, it seems the pieces of trim holding the panel in place either were not totally secured or the door's panel received a significant hit/push.  Vigilant's packaging was top notch; covered on all sides with a layer of foam board and plywood and secured down tightly with screws and straps.

I was pretty gutted to see this and emailed Vigilant right away.  They got back to me the next day and are going to make a new door, which is great.  They're also having me drop the old door at UPS for them to package and ship back to Vigilant on their account.  I'm happy with the service and solution but still....ugh!

Part 2...

I tend to scour local ads for good cabinet humidors at good prices.  Here in Seattle, they are few and far between.  Last week, I was surprised to see an Aristocrat end table pop up.  Schweet.  Pinged the guy right away and went to check it out.  Cabinet looks great and smells good.  There's a clear water stain on the bottom but nowhere else and the wood is in fine shape:

729583336_Aristocrat-Imgur.jpg.e040f2166089cc824b19f699bd68e5a1.jpg

Humidor is purchased and loaded up along with the box of associated gear, drawers, and shelves.  Very exciting.  Get it home, lug the damn thing up to my office, scoot it around, all good.  Before loading it up with water to begin seasoning I wanted to pop open the reservoir, kicking myself a bit for not checking it out on site:

1328999080_Aristocrat-Imgur(1).jpg.1b5408dddf80944f9fcc8d97ee94b918.jpg

1754073521_Aristocrat-Imgur(2).jpg.eaad2800f7c3f73d786f16b9822cc1b7.jpg

Gaaah...full stop.  This guy ain't going online anytime soon.  Next step is an email to Bob to see what can be done - assuming I'm going to need to buy a new reservoir at least.  Given that this particular humidity system hasn't been sold by Bob in a long time, I'm wondering if a whole new system will need to be bought.

The electronics can be sorted out, I'm not too worried about that end.  I am worried about the condition of the humidor's interior, particularly once the humidity comes up to spec.  Any particular words of wisdom someone would be willing to offer here?

These cabs will be great once they're finally set and running but jeeze...what a pain in the ass!

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but definitely some gorgeous looking humidors.

Congratulations.

Hopefully you get everything squared away cheaply and easily and get to filling them up.

Had looked at end table humidors back when I was renting a house as I liked having a table next to my comfy recliner where I smoked and drank, but the prices were just way too much.

Ended up converting a huge old 1970's Vintage china cabinet into a cabinet humidor instead. I really miss having that thing.

Congrats and good luck to you

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk