Juan Lopez #1 BRS MAY 13 (JBWP2RW)

Thanks for this review.  I've been really curious to try a JL 1, but haven't yet.  I have a box of 2020 JL 2 from which I've been sipping.  So far I like the flavor.  There are construction issues with about half of the ones I've tested - plugged draws.  Any opinion on the 1 vs 2?  Do you know if it's the same blend?

They must have been blended stronger a few years back. I have a 2019 box that I have and I would call it medium at best. I was disappointed in this as I was hoping for a stronger cigar. I find the #2 to have a good bit more flavor and power. Less finesse however. #2 for me any day. 

• Like 2

I am having much better luck with the 2018 JL2s right now--wonderful smokes.

My 2017 box of JL1 was outstanding last year and seems to have gotten more bland this year--I am expecting (hoping) that it will come back to previous form.

I am still learning....

JL2 A rich, generously flavorful cigar with flavour notes of dark bread, chocolate. Orange rind. Hints of leather coffee etc. A very simple linear cigar, but also one that's hugely enjoyable

JL1 A powerful version of the JL2 blend with less one dimension confectionary sweetness. But added astringent woodiness, sour cream, tangy BBQ sauce.   Much more evolution and range. But not for those who don't like strong savoury cigars.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lrabold89 said:

…I’ll opt for something with a bit more class, cream, finesse, sweetness balanced with wood or floral quality …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like Hoyo/Cohiba/Trinidad? For you, which cigars have that flavor profile?

Lots of great thoughts on this.  It has compelled me to think further on my notes.  For the record - it’s not a dis track on these cigars.  They might smooth out in the next few years.  

I had steered clear of the JL1/2 for years because they were too strong for my palate and I never felt they would resolve.  I still love my JLPC.  But maybe some good words about JL2 will have me revisit.  I only had examples from 14 and 15 and I think that recent blends on many cigars seem milder so maybe I’ll redip my toe in the water.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wailbait said:

Lots of great thoughts on this.  It has compelled me to think further on my notes.  For the record - it’s not a dis track on these cigars.  They might smooth out in the next few years.  

I had steered clear of the JL1/2 for years because they were too strong for my palate and I never felt they would resolve.  I still love my JLPC.  But maybe some good words about JL2 will have me revisit.  I only had examples from 14 and 15 and I think that recent blends on many cigars seem milder so maybe I’ll redip my toe in the water.  

I enjoy the 2019 and 2020 versions, but I've got a box of 2010 that are much smoother but still have plenty of oomph.  Love 'em!