Definitely can't help you unfortunately, but that's awesome you roll your own.

Even before I got 3 paralyzed fingers, I never had the finger dexterity for something like that

Very impressive.

If you ever want to trade or sell a few if your home rolled let me know.

Always nice to try something new, plus would be extra cool to smoke a fellow members creation

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2
1 hour ago, smbauerllc said:

Definitely can't help you unfortunately, but that's awesome you roll your own.

Even before I got 3 paralyzed fingers, I never had the finger dexterity for something like that

Very impressive.

If you ever want to trade or sell a few if your home rolled let me know.

Always nice to try something new, plus would be extra cool to smoke a fellow members creation

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Also impressive that it’s a 38 ring gauge!

In a 38 ring cigar, you don't have too much room to play with.  I would recommend picking one viso or ligero, and one seco.  My personal preference would be the Dominican piloto ligero with the Nicaraguan seco.  I would choose either the Nicaraguan or Ecuadorean wrapper (I think Connecticut Shade  tastes like burning paper, but that's me...)

What are you using to bind???  That will also influence your flavor profile.

As Rob said, take notes to keep track of your blends.   When you are trying to finalize your blend, be sure you are sampling the entire thing (filler, binder, and wrapper)

I once put a lot of effort into 'perfecting' a blend, minus the wrapper.  Once I wrapped the cigars, the flavor changed considerably.

Have fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ligero in 38's rarely work. Still, give it a crack. Tobacco is different year to year, crop to crop, region to region. The Dom Piloto Ligero may have a similar taste strength as the Nic Seco.  If it was Nic Ligero, you wouldn't even look at it. 

When you think you have got your blend, Eureka!,.....try it again in a week, and again in a month. If you still like/love it after a month, you are onto something!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you everyone for the help!  I really appreciate it.  The corojo wrapper will probably also serve as the binder.  I do this for fun on a small scale so saving a few dollars isn't a concern.  I have dominican binder to substitute if it becomes too much.  I hope the Dom ligero can find a place .  (I have a 3tx52x6 mold I can use for the nic ligero)  I do want to get a hint of the nic jalapa incorporated for the fruity retrohale.  I'll rough a few up tonight with detailed notes to smoke over time per El Pres' recommendation and go from there.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, jonnyfromiranny said:

This is an awesome thread and pardon my ignorance, but how many tobacco plants do you need to take on a project like this?

I do not grow my own, rather order from a couple websites.  There is no set number as you have to adapt to what nature provides, but I would guess 5-10 sticks per plant depending on the size of the cigar and plant.  The blend uses 1/2 of a Domican binder leaf and 1/2 of a Nicaraguan Shade wrapper.  For filler: 1 full leaf of each: Nicaraguan Jalapa Viso, Dominican Piloto Cubano Seco, Dominican Piloto Cubano Volado.  The piloto cubano leaves are on the smaller side so the filler winds up closer to 1/2 Dom and 1/2 Nic.  It needs some twang for my tastes, but finding a NC leaf with that cuban essence still escapes me.  I occasionally get hints from AF's premium leaves from Chateau Fuente in the DR, but those are as out of reach as cuban for someone like me.

@BrightonCorgi, thank you but I am not even in the running on that list.  With my buying curtailed by supply issues I am adapting, overcoming and doomsday prepping lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1