Cigar Lighter in hand luggage - any advice?

1 hour ago, jhalischuk said:

Sometimes I've gotten through with them, sometimes not. Might be best to get a cheap torch and hope it doesn't get confiscated. 

Also most corner stores, at least in Ontario, have single flame torches you can get for $5-10. 

This.  As @Bijan said, TSA rules say no butane lighters anywhere (checked, carry on, etc).  I've gotten through with a cheapie the last couple times I flew over the summer.

• Like 1

In the U.S., at least, I know that it's legal to fly with matches in your carry on.  I've flown with them upwards of a dozen times.  I know that's not ideal, but it's been my work-around as I don't want to lose my good lighter to TSA or to their search of checked baggage.  Sulfur-free cigar matches are great as long as there's not too much wind.  ...The 3-match light is a classic.  :)

FoH branded travel lighter has been wonderful for me. I fly about 30-35 times/year and haven’t had an issue with it—I’m on a flight now with it in my backpack. They’re usually available on the FoH webstore under accessories, though I don’t know if they can be purchased now with the carts freeze. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, riderpride said:

In my experience each agent is different in Canada. To be safe, I travel with matches and Spanish cedar 'sticks' from a box divider or a tubo.

The cedar is truly the classic light.  Something about it always brings me back to Cuba, and yet I don't do it often enough, once in a blue moon.

Great advice.  (And I'll be putting some in my bag from now on :)

Just buy a gas station cheapie when you arrive. Unless you absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, must smoke the second you get off the plane... which is another problem all together.

I mean, it's Canada. It's not like you are traveling to the deepest, darkest depths of the wilderness, where they still have yet to discover fire... or tik tok.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mprach024 said:

Golf bags.  You can smuggle just about anything in your golf bag.  

Clean your clubs though. I’ve been stopped before because fertilizer residue triggered the TSA test for explosives.  Then they search everything. 

1 hour ago, Chibearsv said:

Clean your clubs though. I’ve been stopped before because fertilizer residue triggered the TSA test for explosives.  Then they search everything. 

Lol fertilizer, that’s actually really funny.  But seriously what kind of heathen golfer are you!?  Wipe your clubs after every shot, take care of them they take care of you.  Grooves are meant to be a void not a dirt holder.  Still......fertilizer TSA check....😂😂.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, therealrsr said:

@Bijan  that info would have been nice for TSA to include on the page I referenced lol.  Classic government efficiency there.

They have a separate page for that:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/torch-lighters

Completely different animal apparently 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• JohnS changed the title to Cigar Lighter in hand luggage - any advice?