Chasing the Dragon: First CC advice

I have a neighbor who claims to be a big cigar fan.   He’s Canadian but has only smoked mid-to-high end NC cigars (which I find odd given his access to all CC’s).    Davidoffs, Fuente etc.   He claims medium body or just under is his wheelhouse.    This same guy also spent a portion of his quarantine building a walk in humidor in his basement, so he’s down to clown.   

What is the first stick I should give this guy to blow his mind?  Do I give him the dragon to chase or work up to it?  Am I obligated to deal with the repercussions of the man spending all of his disposable income once his eyes are opened?   

Options are:

Cohiba Espendido, CCE

Hoyo Epi 2, Double Corona

Monte 1,3

Upmann Sir Winston

Fundadores

I’m initially thinking HDM DC or Cohiba Esplendido.   

I’ll let the experts weigh in.   What are your thoughts?

• Like 4

Honestly I think all of the ones listed are quality smokes and would be just fine, but if I had to choose, i would probably pick the Montecristo no.3.

One of my favorite all time smokes, and are definitely in his preferred strength range, as are all the Montecristos I have had. So if he likes the flavor profile, there are a bunch of Montecristos to choose from, and the vast majority are reasonably priced too

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Of the 2 you mentioned - the Esplendido...make him chase that dragon!  Think the HDM DC(epi2 too) maybe a bit too light for him if hes into med NCs.  Do you know what size he usually smokes?  Think it'll be more approachable if it looks familiar at least.  Not sure if there are easily accessible high-end NCs in long skinny like the fundie?

Also if he's Canadian then maybe he can become a mule with easy access to Cuba once that opens back up 😈

• Like 3

Your list is pretty killer, but I'm going to suggest maybe a Monte Especial #2 if you have one in inventory. The flavor profile should be right up his alley, and construction quality is consistently good in my experience. 

Good luck & let us know what you decide to offer (and his reaction, too).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChangBang said:

Of the 2 you mentioned - the Esplendido...make him chase that dragon!  Think the HDM DC(epi2 too) maybe a bit too light for him if hes into med NCs.  Do you know what size he usually smokes?  Think it'll be more approachable if it looks familiar at least.  Not sure if there are easily accessible high-end NCs in long skinny like the fundie?

Also if he's Canadian then maybe he can become a mule with easy access to Cuba once that opens back up 😈

Have a couple votes for Monte 3 ( @smbauerllc, @KCCubano).  A couple for Epi 2/Robusto ( @Edicion , @Bijan).  Good call on the construction idea- don’t want to start with a plugged one.   Epi2 is a the gateway drug of the CC world. 

Also good point on time spent.    Guy is more of a neighborhood acquaintance (who lives right next door), so it’s definitely a good thing to be able to burn one with the guy.    I’ll be smoking with him, so we’ll see how the mood strikes.    Also love @ChangBang ‘s idea of prepping him for duty as a Canadian Cigar Mule (CCM).   We all need one of those!   😂.   One hour would be a good exit strategy, but could easily chill for 1.5-2 hrs as this is a vacation week for me.       

I guess I have to grapple with my true responsibilities here.   Am I trying to knock his socks off?  If so, Esplendido or Hoyo DC all day long.     Or am I the guy who opens the door with the Epi2 and casually mentions that we have other work to do later with a gradual incline?   Ie.   High bar or low bar scenario?   If the bar is set low enough, you surpass it every time!

Probably a game time decision but will report back.

Keep the suggestions coming!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KCCubano said:

I think the Epi 2 is also good choice. Just the last few I have had of recent production have been bland and flavorless. If yours have been on point its a good option. Ive been in your camp giving Espies etc away to rookies and always regretted.

My only holdup with the Epi2 is that my box is pretty new (GEL ABR 21) and I haven’t yet had one.    Esplendido is my favorite cigar, but one I reserve for special occasions given their rarity and price.   Good point on not wasting them.  

The guy seems to have smoked a fair amount of NC’s (and has a pretty sizable collection).   He isn’t an overall rookie, but has never had a Cuban.    It’s like the person who is hard to shop for at Christmas…

Many NC smokers aren't "blown away" by the subtlety of Esplendidos.  I'd give him something with a little more flavor punch like a BRC.  Of the choices you've listed, I'd say Monte 3 or maybe Sir Winston if I really thought he'd enjoy it.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

Many NC smokers aren't "blown away" by the subtlety of Esplendidos.  I'd give him something with a little more flavor punch like a BRC.  Of the choices you've listed, I'd say Monte 3 or maybe Sir Winston if I really thought he'd enjoy it.

Good call.   I have a couple of RASS (RASSi, RASSes….?).     And a few of the bolivar variety.     The plot thickens!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DaBoot said:

I’d personally share a Ramon allones, or a bolivar. The strength of NC cigars, his pallet might be too burnt to appreciate a lighter Cuban… my two cents.

The fun of the choice as a first Cuban. Report back how it went👍🏻

Agree, Bolivar…

• Like 1

Like others, I'd like to add RASS and D4 since they have oomph that might be suitable for NC smoker. CCE & Espy; Monte 1 & Esp #2; Sir Winnie & Connie A; Party Lusi & 898 are also great options if he likes long CCs 😃.

• Like 2