Rafael Gonzalez Panatela Extra - LMB AGO 19 (JBWP3RW)

Just now, ChangBang said:

Nice review, glad you enjoyed it!  Right now im 10/10 being plugged barely smokeable cigars. Even cut and tested the draw to 5 more...all plugged 🙄 

Yikes, that's rough. I have two boxes of LMB AGO 19 and they've both been great so far with the handful I've had out of them. They've varied from perfect to slightly tight but nothing horrendous yet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChangBang said:

Nice review, glad you enjoyed it!  Right now im 10/10 being plugged barely smokeable cigars. Even cut and tested the draw to 5 more...all plugged 🙄 

Same! Every single one I’ve tried in my box have been tight enough to stake down a tent. 

They are plugged pretty close to 50% of the time. It’s unbelievable that any cigar could have that kind of plug rate but here we are. The PEs still might be one of the best values out there if you can get past the truly dismal construction. As short filler, I have little problem cutting these in half and usually I get something worth smoking out of it. Flavor can be all over the place, but I have had ones that would blow any cigar smoker away. True Cuban flavor for cheap but.. be prepared for literally zero quality control.

22 hours ago, Cairo said:

I am hoping a couple of more years (for my 2019 boxes) will help get closer to that taste.

I’ve never aged them as they are short filler cigars -but I suppose you can. I’ve been smoking rgpe for over a decade, but smoked at least 2 of these a day since the pandemic started. So been through 30+ boxes in the last year and a half. I feel pretty safe saying these are one of the best value cigars available and one of the worst constructed cigars I’m aware of, which is a testament to how good the tobacco is. It is generally superb tobacco and worth overlooking the hideous construction and zero Qc. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, KnightsAnole said:

I feel pretty safe saying these are one of the best value cigars available and one of the worst constructed cigars I’m aware of, which is a testament to how good the tobacco is. It is generally superb tobacco and worth overlooking the hideous construction and zero Qc. 

So weird given that the RG Perlas and PC are some of the most consistent cigars!

• Like 2

Nice review. What a totally weird marca RG is! The Perlas are fantastic, the PCs good too. The 88s don’t taste anything like those two, and there’s no robusto or anything bigger, which I would love in a faithful blend. I’ve not had any of these PEs yet - and impressed with @KnightsAnole’s 30 boxes!

• Like 1

These are great little cigars!  Have 3 boxes of LMB-OCT-19 and they've been the best tasting short-filler cigars I've ever had.  Last two I thought I was smoking a JL-2.  For the price a few plugged ones are ok by me.  So far, I've been able to fix any plugs with the perfect draw.

On 9/19/2021 at 10:27 AM, RDB said:

Nice review. What a totally weird marca RG is! The Perlas are fantastic, the PCs good too. The 88s don’t taste anything like those two, and there’s no robusto or anything bigger, which I would love in a faithful blend. I’ve not had any of these PEs yet - and impressed with @KnightsAnole’s 30 boxes!

There used to be a Lonsdale and a Corona Extra. Both axed long ago. Another HSA genius idea unfortunately. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just got 2 boxes of these on special, grabbed SOP 2019 box codes because I’ve had more luck on quality from that factory. Nice but a bit flat ROTT.

Will these evolve, refine at all with a bit of age? Not expecting a lot given short filler, but just wondered what people have seen happen say over 3-5 yrs on these. Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always preferred the PL Panetelas to the RGs. I can also recall having a lot of tight draws with the RGs and this was back in 15-17 which was the last time I had any. Rarely if ever would I get plugged PL Panetelas. Of course, they cut the PLs and kept the RGs. 

I never was really impressed with the quality and blend of the RGs. The Perlas are a huge step up in quality. I just walked away from the Panetelas. If I'm going to smoke a Panetelas I'd rather spend the extra buck a stick and go with the long filler RyJ Sports Largos. 

• Like 1