Kenfessions: Cohiba Siglo V – Pusser’s Old Admiralty Rum - Pusser’s Gunpowder Rum

32 minutes ago, Lrabold89 said:

Where do you source your information from? It’s quite extensive ….just curious about your research …..thank you for the very interesting and entertaining read !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i quite enjoy the research side of this stuff so happy to look anywhere and everywhere. i'm old enough that i was doing this stuff before internet so i have a fairly extensive library. and heaps of magazines. don't have them with me at the moment thanks to being locked out of the State but usually they help. then scour the internet. but i tend to file away anything i see on the internet that might be of interest so when i come to do something, the toughest thing is finding where i put it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

i quite enjoy the research side of this stuff so happy to look anywhere and everywhere. i'm old enough that i was doing this stuff before internet so i have a fairly extensive library. and heaps of magazines. don't have them with me at the moment thanks to being locked out of the State but usually they help. then scour the internet. but i tend to file away anything i see on the internet that might be of interest so when i come to do something, the toughest thing is finding where i put it. 

You need to work on your filing system.... if you actually have one in the first place.

31 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

That's probably the problem. Pick one and perfect it.

good idea. i'll file it away. somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Psiman said:

Pusser's add a bunch of sugar and coloring and they chill filter it. Should have got Black Tot brand from UK that doesn't do any of that and it's a much better Navy rum. the 50th Anniversary edition is really good but probably impossible to get in Australia like everything else that is good. Velier's Tiger Shark Navy rum is also a next level Navy rum but probably unavailable in Australia as usual

this is from the Pusser's website. it is possible they are telling porkies but with the internet they way it is these days, anyone making claims like this would usually have all sorts of people challenging it.

"While the rich flavor of Pusser’s Rum is natural, most other major rum brands add flavoring agents and sugar to make their products smoother and to give them body. By contrast, Pusser’s uses no flavoring agents or sugar. It is all natural.". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RDB said:

I can never fully get my head around the idea of a *daily* ration of 284ml of 57% overproof rum. That’s the equivalent of *sixteen 25ml shots at 40%*. 

can i ask where you get the 284 mls from? my info was 71 mls, which is a quarter of that. 

1 minute ago, RDB said:

I meant the original daily half pint. Assuming an imperial pint of 568ml.

follow you.

i would guess, but not certain, that in fact they rarely got that full whack. i would be astonished if almost all of the pussers of the day were not watering it down a little - amount might vary - to put more dosh in their own pockets. and even though the gunpowder test might show one thing, what they got might be very different. but no question that it made an impact on them. 

That must be right Ken. I mean, that amount of booze every day would make the whole crew permanently pissed. I’m sure there was a lot of boredom on navy ships, but there was also a lot of climbing up into high rigging (with no safety equipment whatsoever) and other dangerous work. Even if the men wanted to get lit, as captain you wouldn’t want them incapable…

The daily ration was a half pint of rum, served neat. Previously, it was a gallon of beer, but was changed to rum as it took up less space and did not spoil. It was changed to a diluted ration, a half pint of rum mixed with a quart of water, in the mid 18th century. It was later split into 2 servings, instead of all at once. Then later in the 19th century, the rum ration was cut in half two times to the traditional amount of 71ml.

https://www.commsmuseum.co.uk/rum.htm

10 hours ago, RDB said:

That must be right Ken. I mean, that amount of booze every day would make the whole crew permanently pissed. I’m sure there was a lot of boredom on navy ships, but there was also a lot of climbing up into high rigging (with no safety equipment whatsoever) and other dangerous work. Even if the men wanted to get lit, as captain you wouldn’t want them incapable…

There's a video and couple of pics going round from early 20th century that shows it was a significant measure. You have to remember that back then people drank hard, bodies would be wrecked by middle-age regardless of if they drank or not. Most joined the navy/army as it was one of the few ways to get regular meals and the alternative was mostly either coal mines or steelworks, an early grave regardless

• MoeFOH unpinned this topic