How medically intune are you?

Medical Self Care Poll   

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Where I'm from in the UK, I'd have more chance getting an audience with the Pope than seeing my GP (and this was the case pre-Covid)

So I tend to treat all ailments the same way- equal parts Tea, Sleep and Bourbon. Just like my Dad taught me. 

• Thanks 1

Went to a nhs doctor about 4 years ago, might have been 40 at the time, to get a minor skin lump/tag/whatever checked. Basically got told I'm getting old and there's no point getting every lump or whatever checked cos I'd be there all the time. 

No one can make you feel like you're wasting their precious time better than a gp. 

Now I've got private health care for me and the kids, I still don't use it much but the difference is night and day. 

Put me down in the I'll see a doctor when I need a doctor camp. 

So far intune that my wife strictly prohibits me from engaging in medical conversations in public. At least mildly orthorexic, spend way too much time on Pub Med reading papers, have gone down the rabbit holes of studying quantum and circadian biology. Look forward to my annual huge Spectracell blood draw so I can geek out on all data. Near complete disdain for most western, allopathic medicine. Cigars by far the worst and only ‘bad?’ thing from a health perspective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Whilst those comments are amusing, you normally wouldn't be awake to give them if it was a colonoscopy

I had my first colonoscopy a few years ago when I turned 50, and woke up in the middle of it. Heard someone say, “He’s awake, HE’S AWAKE!” Then I was out again. Almost entertaining. I was so groggy afterwards I forgot to ask what the hell happened.

21 hours ago, Lrabold89 said:

Gut health is such a big deal ….very much connected with your mental health/stress levels as well …gotta find a balance between happy and healthy …Godspeed to all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just cleared up 3 years of chronic digestive issues that surprise surprise….was caused by stress from the pressure I was putting on myself (very simplified version of what happened lol) 

• Like 2

My doctor is an old high school buddy.  The first time he did the digital prostate exam, I hit him with  “Oh Doc, I’ve been dreaming about this since high school.”   He became a little straight laced after medical school, as opposed to our partying ways as high schoolers, and he wasn’t sure whether I was serious or not. I still laugh at him about it.  

But I’m kind of in the middle of taking it seriously versus avoiding medical “professionals” like the plague.  I worked in hospitals early in my career and it’s safe to say, they’re not safe places to be. If you have to go in a hospital, make sure you have someone reliable to advocate for you, and get out and go home as soon as possible. Recent medical literature says 250,000 deaths in the US are caused every year by medical mistakes.  

On 9/22/2021 at 5:11 PM, Lrabold89 said:

Mine has been the better part of a year … getting better but still have issues …looks like we have something in common there brother …always reach out if you wanna discuss something I may have tried something different than you and vice versa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely brother!!! I'm finally as close to 100% as I've been in a long time, but shit it took a long time!! Not having chronic fatigue or feeling like death in the gym feels like heaven! Feel free to hit me up about it whenever! 

On 9/22/2021 at 10:42 PM, Fuzz said:

Remember people, eat celery, nature's toothbrush.... for your colon!!

celery.jpg.03403ec8e5008279ec391adb28d725ef.jpg

• Fibre Rich!
  • Packed with Vitamins!
  • Ribbed for Xtra Pleasure!

:P

I drink 12 oz of fresh celery juice every day.  I'll a little pulp to it.  My dog loves the pulp more than me.  I also make a 4-8 oz carrot and turmeric juice earlier in the day.

Inspired/Reminded by this thread. I called last week and scheduled a long overdue colonoscopy. Thankfully my ulcerative colitis has been asymptomatic for a good long while now.  Used to have a scope every year. It's been a little over 4 years so it was time. 

• Like 2

The VA does yearly general physicals, so I get checked out pretty well yearly.

Also have a number of medical problems anyway, so see several doctors regularly for that as well.

Will admit, I have only had 1 colonoscopy probably about 8 years ago.

I'm 47, and really should be better about them as my father died of colon cancer, so I'm in a higher risk category, and am rapidly approaching the age they discovered it (too late unfortunately, as he didn't have regular colonoscopies either, so it went undetected until he started noticing blood in his bowel movements, and by then it was too late).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Sad 1