Preferred shade of Montecristo No.2?

• JohnS changed the title to Preferred shade of Montecristo No.2?

Even though I love chocolate, I just dont pick up a ton of chocolate in cigars. So I'll take as light as wrappers as I can on monte's. I have 2 boxes of colorado claro wrappers from last year that I'm gonna tear into next spring!

• Like 3

The best Monte 2's, 4's and the twin Edmundos I've ever smoked were wrapped in lighter wrappers. About Colorado Claro. At least to me. Yes, if I'm going to put a cigar down to age, somewhat darker, oily wrappers have done very well. They actually lighten up, slightly in color after some significant time. It's just a matter of preference imo. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kaptain Karl said:

Even though I love chocolate, I just dont pick up a ton of chocolate in cigars. 

you need thin, dark, oily wrappers on monte for that. I love chocs too and what really turned me on to cigars was the 2010 Grand Edmundo (when a year or two old - they seemed to have mellowed out a lot now). Almost literally munching on a bar of dark chocolate. 

Although, they don't seem to make it like that any more. Or maybe that's my dragon that I keep chasing but never catch

Here's my opinion. Monte #2 I like light wrappers the performance for me has been better. Petit Edmundo's  I like dark as night wrappers I dunno why. I like that huge blast of Cocco/Coffee they give. Monte #4's light wrappers have been the best.

Just had two boxes of Monte 5s from the same factory with the same date code. One box had way darker tone of wrappers. The darker box showed more cocoa with sweeter finish, the bright box had brighter tone of flavors(freshly cut grass) and slight sharp and bitter finish. Both were pleasant but preferred the darker box(cocoa and sweet finish) box. I might be in the minority, but from the Monte 4s i've compared similarly(but with different factory/date code. mostly 2019/2020 though), I get more earthy taste and bitter finish from brighter wrappers and cocoa and sweetness from darker wrappers for some reason. I built a preference for darker shaded montes for the time being, but might change after more experience.  

• Like 4

Just now, dan benhamou said:

This looks much much lighter than I would go for 

Different strokes for different folks, that's what makes the cigar game so wonderful.

I'd also take one shade darker than these, but that's about it.  I tend to find dark-wrappered Montes one-dimensional by reason of them staying in that singular chocolate lane. 

• Like 1

Time is definitely a key variable here. I have a dark box of oily M2s that I’m really looking forward to smoking when they are 5+ years old. But a lighter box from 2018 is smoking just great now. I’d say the same across the whole marca: both work for me, but give a different experience. 

This topic motivated my cigar choice last night, and so I grabbed a fairly dark shaded Monte 2 LTU ABR 19.  Maybe a touch lighter than the second box pictured above (my box seemed to look much darker indoors). 

I can certainly understand what you mean when you say darker wrappers stay in the singular chocolate lane experience @Tstew75, but it went from hazelnut/nutella chocolate notes in the first third, to milk chocolate, and then to dark chocolate covered almonds in the finish. Definitely chocolate all the way through, but in a way where it still transitioned beautifully and kept things interesting.  Bitterness at the last inch or so, but maybe we can chalk that up to youth and lack of rest (4 months down on these).  Oh, and I couldn’t agree more, this is truly what makes the cigar game so wonderful!

001F751B-A991-466E-BFCA-EAB09C383416.jpeg.393f8e8d7cbab09c53acdb81a44dc8f2.jpeg

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, drinaldi84 said:

This topic motivated my cigar choice last night, and so I grabbed a fairly dark shaded Monte 2 LTU ABR 19.  Maybe a touch lighter than the second box pictured above (my box seemed to look much darker indoors). 

I can certainly understand what you mean when you say darker wrappers stay in the singular chocolate lane experience @Tstew75, but it went from hazelnut/nutella chocolate notes in the first third, to milk chocolate, and then to dark chocolate covered almonds in the finish. Definitely chocolate all the way through, but in a way where it still transitioned beautifully and kept things interesting.  Bitterness at the last inch or so, but maybe we can chalk that up to youth and lack of rest (4 months down on these).  Oh, and I couldn’t agree more, this is truly what makes the cigar game so wonderful!

001F751B-A991-466E-BFCA-EAB09C383416.jpeg.393f8e8d7cbab09c53acdb81a44dc8f2.jpeg

Pretty perfect shade here. Glad you enjoyed!

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 10:53 AM, Tstew75 said:

Colorado is about perfect. Some of the RAT-coded 21s even have some Rosato hue. Not a fan of really dark wrappers.

IMG_1118.jpg

Those are perfection in my preferred wrapper shade. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1