What’s your restocking strategy?

Not so much of a re-stocking strategy, but my main strategy over the last 4-5 years has been to buy 2-3 times my consumption rate to have my collection naturally pick up some age. I like variety, so the spread is large, with a max of 3-4 boxes of the handful of sticks I really like. A year ago I was going after regionals a fair bit along with regular production. Recently it’s been vintage stuff, the sudden surge of which seems to be an unexpected result of the regular production shortage.

• Like 4

I’m aiming to get to a place where I smoke pretty much everything with 5 years or more down. So I try and buy to match that profile. I smoke a wide range of stuff, so no need to have tons of any one thing. That means I focus on picking up nice boxes of things I really like, when they become available, rather than when I am running low on any particular box.

• Like 3

Since I’ve gotten a better handle on my taste in recent years, I’ve tried to go deep on what I like. During COVID both my smoking rate and buying rate went way up. Now that my smoking has decreased somewhat, I am restocking cigars I like aged as I finish boxes. There are a few like lanceros I’d like to go deeper on, but availability aside I have absolutely no room right now. I told myself I’d stop at a full closet and I’m sticking to it!

For brands like Montecristo, which I prefer on the younger side, I’m smoking down my stock until I’m close to running out. 

Some of my current stock won’t be replaced because it was acquired a few years ago when I was getting more into CC and experimenting with my tastes. No purchases I truly regret, but a handful of boxes will be showing up on BR in the next year :) 

I like to future proof myself. We are seeing the benefits of that now. Buy what you like and buy it during a buyers market. With that said I like to have at least a few boxes of my favorites. For example I really enjoy JL2 and D4's so I have 3 sealed boxes of each in reserve and one of each open for smoking. I am already looking to restock on those as I always want to have the reserve boxes. The reserves will get me through the famine (right now) so I can stock back up once prices return to where they should be. I've never been good at living hand to mouth. Always need a backup supply. 

I only recently sorted out a strategy, once available inventory started slowing. I don’t care so much about aging, but I care very much about resting the cigars appropriately. For those that I smoke regularly, I make sure I have enough boxes on hand so that everything I go to smoke will have been sure to have rested for 90+ days. For HUHC, that means 4 boxes at all times. When I get halfway through the box I’m smoking I order another. 

I don’t do this with many cigars, but besides HUHC I make sure I have enough Trinidad Reyes, Trinidad Media Luna, and Monte 4 always stocked, and plan on adding a couple more.

There’s nothing worse than grabbing a favorite and realizing it isn’t even close to being enjoyable because you rushed to get in the box. 

4 minutes ago, Cairo said:

The conventional wisdom around here and elsewhere was not to "overdo" it in the early years of buying Cubans--and try to figure out your taste preferences.

I did not follow that path because I was totally paranoid that future taxes, regulations, supply chain disruptions, inflation etc. would kick in at some point.

The rule I followed was "buy what you can when you can".    If I saw a great price for regular production I jumped on it.

I believe I made the right choice.   There are only a couple of (cheap and not so cheerful) boxes that have not aged well--a small percentage of my collection--and I enjoy all of the regular production premium offerings.   Imho each of them has something to offer--and the quality in 2019 and 2020 was excellent across the board--especially around here.

Totally agree. Instead of buying samplers and singles I was buying boxes. Never yet regretted a purchase. I figure there is an occasion for every smoke in the collection. 

I went wide collecting regular production sticks over the last two years. As I developed my preferences, and I would spot a good deal on a stick I liked, I would go 3-4 boxes deep.  Everything I like has at least an open box and a full box resting so I rarely have an urgency. 
I did not try singles. I would read up and buy boxes. Plenty to share w friends. That’s back before the last price spike though.
I have a rolling 6-8 year collection right now and smoke about a box a month. My “goal” is to stay around a box a month in purchases until the market stabilizes which will keep me “even” and a hedge against any future insanity.
I keep a spreadsheet of my sticks and can sort a number of ways. I tend to look to see what could use a touch of replenishment and have a list of maybe 4 or 5 Vitolas that I prioritize for purchase. when one comes up, I’ll get it.
Now if I spy a deal on something I like, I’ll get that as well. 
inexpensive minutos almost always get the extra nod for instance. Unicorns like sir winnie, Party 898 etc will always be an exception. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dshot said:

I know what I really like and if it's out then I re-stock. I wish I went deeper on certain cigars but at this point I have no room. I think my real question is a de-stocking strategy for half smoked boxes I don't care for to make more room for sticks/boxes I like.

I am here to assist you in de-stocking :D 

for real though, shoot me an IM maybe we can trade something ?

I keep my daily smokes out in front, meaning 1 years worth. Then I pick up a box of “big game” that I won’t (😳) touch for 3-5 every other month. Should make for a happy retirement.

When I smoke the last cigar in a box, I usually order a box to replace it. Sometimes I may order two or three boxes to replace it. It is a slippery slope!😁

I’m a nutball, for the 5-7 go-to cigars I smoke the most of I’ll always have at least a few boxes, if not more. Even before Covid the idea that cigars disappear from time to time led me to get way ahead of it. Run out of Sir Winstons?!?!  Too big of a risk to take!!! 

Buy whatever pops up on 24:24 as ave when it catches my attention and the budget allows. I tend to have a 3-4 month hiatus each year when I feel I've got enough (whatever that means). Generally a good mix of the reliable everyday and something a bit special to age. Nothing too complicated.

Sent by spooky action at a distance