Let's talk about Romeo y Julieta (and specifically the Romeo y Julieta Petit Coronas)

1480415939_2021-10-0215_23_41.jpg.0b4ad5cba4b45c15b22d7ab4e786bbed.jpg

After smoking a 2007 Romeo y Julieta Petit Coronas on the weekend (thanks @Bijan for making this possible) I bring forth this topic with my own views on the matter but I'm more interested in what you have to say. Specifically, let's discuss where the Romeo y Julieta Petit Coronas has disappeared to. I can tell you that I can't recall the RyJ PC been included on a 24:24 listing after the first quarter of 2016. Similarly, this cigar has barely rated a mentioned in the Daily Smoking thread, or indeed our forum, since that time.

So, are you smoking the RyJ PC right now? If not, do you know someone who does? Exactly why does the Romeo y Julieta carry 5 (yes...five!) marevas-sized cigars (Club Kings, Petit Coronas, Cedros de Luxe No.3, Mille Fleurs and Romeo No.2)? So many questions. Feel free to offer your opinion below...

• Like 4

Most recent I have had was ENE18. Only one of the vendors I use have them available (and I'm quite sure it's that same ENE18 box) though. I regularly check a few vendors stock but these just aren't showing up.

• Like 3

Well it is good to look at Partagas, Hoyo, Upmann, and Punch. All have formerly machine made cheap and cheerful PCs or close to it but no handmade ones. RyJ is the outlier in keeping their former premium handmade PC and it is perhaps not surprising that it is slowly disappearing given the price difference with Mille Fleurs.

4 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I would challenge anyone to compare cigars like the Connie 1, Famosos and Regios to an Ex 4 in terms of satisfaction. 

Ex4 is actually pretty good in that line up. Ex4, cazadores and sports largos are the 3 RyJ that I think are pretty good. Churchills are too inconsistent. Some of the other RyJ cheap and cheerfuls are good for the price too.

• Like 4

I have a '16 box of RyJ petit coronas. They were expensive $172/box at the time and are just mediocre to say the least. The Ex4 is light years better for a bit more coin. I won't buy these again, as the Monte4, RGPC, BPC, PLPC are just better cigars for the money. In fact the Ex#4 is likely the only one out of the marca I would likely buy again. 

• Like 3

I’ve been enjoying my Mille Fleurs and Exh 4 from 19/2020. Have also purchased the Petite Royals (different size I know but same brand) but yet to try.

Like everyone else just haven’t seen any PCs whenever I’ve been purchasing. 

I enjoy the marque and hope it doesn’t face the scissors. 

• Like 3

And another thing... it does make me think how good the Partagas range is at the moment. Quality control miles better than RyJ or Monte I would say. Much more interesting range than Upmann's ten varieties of Robusto extra. Whole lot cheaper than Cohiba!

• Like 2

I have a couple of them currently and have smoked a fair number in the past.

No idea why they have so many of the same size. Very frustrating when trying to identify which one it is specifically

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Nico said:

So glad you started this thread. I’ve been thinking about making a thread about RyJ PC for 1-2 years now.

I haven’t smoked enough to compare different years but I remember buying 10 of them from a RAE OCT14 box and started smoking them from 3-4 years of age and onwards. Also smoked some 7 years old and fresh ones. Imo They really need that 5 year age to shine but when they do it’s the best PC on the market, along with BPC and SPNP. The PC is on another universe compared to the MF. MFs are really good too but they don’t taste premium like the PC does.
Would love to smoke some 10-15 years old ones. They seem to age really gracefully.

I’ve been meaning to buy a box of them for a long time now but I’ve been putting it off.
Now is as good as any to ask El Presidente if they will come up on 24:24 sometimes. Would love a PSP/HQ box or two of these.

Also agree with NSXCIGAR about belvederes. Another outstanding cigar. When RyJ are on they’re on fire. But yeah, it’s to inconsistent which is a real shame. But it’s true, no one’s talking about that brand which is a little odd.

Agree, the RyJ marca has seemed to take a back seat to others. And the cherry syrup flavor notes are not necessarily appealing to all palates. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RDB said:

rose petals, Turkish delight, sweet red fruit and middle eastern spices

If RyJ could pull this off consistently it would be a different story. In fact, if they could pull that combo off at all or even make a cigar that complex it would be a different story. They don't seem to be able to. Those characteristics are lofty ideals for RyJ on a consistent basis.

And this is coming from someone who loved RyJ before 2002, and would probably have called it my second favorite brand behind Bolivar. I know the heights from which RyJ has fallen.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bijan said:

Well it is good to look at Partagas, Hoyo, Upmann, and Punch. All have formerly machine made cheap and cheerful PCs or close to it but no handmade ones. RyJ is the outlier in keeping their former premium handmade PC and it is perhaps not surprising that it is slowly disappearing given the price difference with Mille Fleurs.

Ex4 is actually pretty good in that line up. Ex4, cazadores and sports largos are the 3 RyJ that I think are pretty good. Churchills are too inconsistent. Some of the other RyJ cheap and cheerfuls are good for the price too.

I love the Ex4.

• Like 3

I bought several boxes of RyJ PC in the 2015-16 timeframe, including a box of EAG May 15 from FOH, which still has a handful of sticks remaining in it. I always enjoyed them, in a snacking sort of way. Workmanlike cigar that I consumed regularly, mostly during warmer weather. Looking back on my notes, I am compelled to report that I paid $109 for this box, graded by Rob as HQ, in early 2016. As for RyJ as a marque, I find them consistently inconsistent and the lineup needs judicious pruning. Having said that, my humidor will always contain a supply of Churchills, Cazadores and Petit Royales if I can find them at a decent sale price.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NYgarman said:

I have a '16 box of RyJ petit coronas. They were expensive $172/box at the time and are just mediocre to say the least

I got the same year--cheap ($100) from a gray market vendor.   They are the worst Cuban box I own--by far!   I smoked five of them over the course of a year and every one tasted bland....now I have hidden them away, far away--the remainder of the box will probably not see the light of day for another decade....gonna take a miracle to turn these around....

😀

• Like 2

I got a box SOM JUL 16 a couple of years ago via a friend who was traveling through Tokyo airport. I got it cheap by UK prices...

So don't want to hear bad things about them! I'm a fan of the Ex4 and Romeo no.2. hoping these will be decent!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ElReyDel757 said:

I love the Ex4.

Try a recent Regios. It's everything the Ex 4 wishes it could be and then some. 

Personally, as a fan of most Hermosos No. 4s, the Ex 4 along with the Picadores would be bottom of my list. Connie 1, Famosos, Choix Supreme are very stiff competition. 

Again, coming from someone who's favorite cigar before 02 was the Ex 4. 

2 hours ago, KCCubano said:

decently priced Petit Royales

That's quickly becoming a difficult task. Quite frankly I'm absolutely perplexed as to the pricing on the PRs. I've seen some trusted vendors price these damn near $200. 

I will say, the PR can be the brand's best when on. Comes closest to putting it all together IMO. 

On the lighter side I think the LCDH Cedros de Luxe is overlooked. Whenever I have one I like it much more than the Churchills. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Try a recent Regios. It's everything the Ex 4 wishes it could be and then some. 

Personally, as a fan of most Hermosos No. 4s, the Ex 4 along with the Picadores would be bottom of my list. Connie 1, Famosos, Choix Supreme are very stiff competition. 

Again, coming from someone who's favorite cigar before 02 was the Ex 4. 

That's quickly becoming a difficult task. Quite frankly I'm absolutely perplexed as to the pricing on the PRs. I've seen some trusted vendors price these damn near $200. 

I will say, the PR can be the brand's best when on. Comes closest to putting it all together IMO. 

On the lighter side I think the LCDH Cedros de Luxe is overlooked. Whenever I have one I like it much more than the Churchills. 

I have 2015 and 2016 boxes of all of these that you listed. I would rank in this order Connie 1, Famosos, Picadores, Ex4, Regios , Choix Supreme. I really like Picadores actually. Choix Supreme are ok but 1 of the few boxes I perhaps regret purchasing.

• Like 2

RyJ is a strange Marca for me. It's the only marca where I find the wrapper shade is essential as to whether I like them or not. Multiple boxes, vitolas and years - it's always the same. If they don't have the wrapper shade I find them 'meh' at best, sometimes barely palatable, herbal and wishy washy. With the right ones they are among my favourite marcas. Go figure!?

Out of all the vitolas the Petit Corona is the one I keep going back to, and stock up on, they seem to just have the right blend that delivers for me. Leather, spice, musty attic (with a little age), rose petals, Turkish delight.. and they have been remarkably consistent from box to box, given the right wrapper as mentioned. I agree with Nico above, I do think they need age, around 4 years on them and they really start to shine. For me, when on, they are the best RyJ offer. 

• Like 4

I can only speak on the Ex4, and again, my 2015 box is wonderful: light chocolate and cherry. I want to try the Short Churchill but have been advised against it many times. I have often wondered why they have so many petit corona sized sticks. They certainly need to cull a bit. In fact, it is time to refill the Ex4 , but I cannot force myself to do it for $280 USD. Instead, I bought 2 Padron 2000 26 count boxes for just a little more than this. No comparison in taste between the 2, but $280 is crazy for RyJ.

• Like 3

I have a few lovely boxes of RyJ Mille Fleur sleeping now.

My 2014s are smoking very well, I treat them as a special cigar because they have wonderful flavors and aroma.

There is a richness I crave in them, they just suit me very well.

I also have Ex. 4,Churchill and some tubos put back, alas I am out of Cazzies. 

Had a nice box of Short churchills, then couldn't really find another box that measured up to them.

• Like 4

I agree with everyone that comments that the wrapper needs to be dead on. I've had excellent boxes of shorts, wides, churchills, and PR's when the wrapper is that right rosado color and super oily 95% I'm getting a winner. Buying blind RyJ is such a crapshoot when it's bad it's really bad. I might as well just pitch the cigar, so bland. Seasonally, I smoke more in the summer Ryj, there so light I feel it's like a summer afternoon cigar to me with a like cocktail sorta thing. I dunno winter they don't see the light of day from me typically. 

• Like 3

On 10/4/2021 at 3:43 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

I would challenge anyone to compare cigars like the Connie 1, Famosos and Regios to an Ex 4 in terms of satisfaction. 

I will put my hand up and take a quality E4 over a quality Connie 1 every day of the week.  I love the profile. 

Regios have been on a hot streak of late. Famosos same but still not up to recent Regio Levels. 

Plenty of great R&J Churchills around. That's a good thing given your choice of Cuban Churchills is extremely "limitada". 

R&J PC? when on they were every bit as good as a Boli PC.  Same stength/body, but coming from different flavour angles. They have been off Habanos buying lists for a few years. I have a few boxes and will check the codes.  PC's (except the Monte 4) are under threat. Boli PC would be a little nervous. PC's are going the way of the Corona's. 

R&J have an issue and it related to the closure of its spiritual home in 03/04. 

Tabacuba fixed Trinidad quality (for the time being) and have made a good fist of QD (HSA marketing + TC quality control). R&J is ripe for a refurb and it is the perfect vehicle to do it with. 

• Like 3