The best room smoke extraction options. Man cave essentials

The best room smoke extraction options? :cigar:

I was asked this question again on Friday and while I am aware of commercial units used by friends of mine in divans overseas, none of them are really viable for home use.  I was asked about air purifyiers .......I never thought thought they worked but you may tell me I am mistaken. 

Our brilliant year round weather means we smoke in sheltered out door areas where the slow moving ceiling fans do all the hard work. 

We have seen some excellent man cave/cigar room builds by members. On top of that we know there are an army of members who get the job done by utilising whatever they can. 

Assuming basement, one decent sized loung room, one window, two people smoking cigars.......how do you get the smoke out quickly and efficiently?

• Like 3

• El Presidente changed the title to The best room smoke extraction options. Man cave essentials

From what you are describing, a couple of bathroom (fart) fans should work fine. You just need to make sure that the amount (CFM's) of air that you are evacuating is even or a little less than the supply/return air.

• Like 3

I'm fortunate to have temperate great outdoors year-round now but back when I was in Chicago it seemed the challenge was not just in air exchange but also smoke residue gathering on all surfaces, causing the room to smell like a dirty ashtray, even if the air is refreshed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Smaller, portable and cheaper Rabbit Air: https://www.rabbitair.com/pages/cigar-smoke-air-purifier

That one is intriguing. Thank you

I haven't yet seen an "odour eater" work in a cigar room.  Would love to hear from people's experiences where hey have seen it work well. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

I haven't yet seen an "odour eater" work in a cigar room.  Would love to hear from people's experiences where hey have seen it work well. 

I wish I had good news... bought one of these and returned it after 2 days. Absolutely crap at eating the odor I'm afraid.

I'm intrigued by this Smoke Eater machine though it's ugly at sin 😆

8 hours ago, patrickamory said:

I'm intrigued by this Smoke Eater machine though it's ugly at sin 😆

Those have been around for decades, originally designed for heavy duty smoke in bars and restaurants in the 1970s and 80s so no real attention paid to aesthetics. 

The rabbit airs are far more modern and visually appealing but are far less powerful than the smoke eaters. 

• Like 2

One key factor when using exhaust fans is to make sure the room is sealed enough to allow the fans to create negative air pressure in the room.  It's similar to when you are driving, if you only crack one window all of the smoke air will be sucked out that one window.

• Like 3

Ive installed an 80cfm bathroom fan in my shed.  It helps a lot but I think I need to draw in some air as well to make if more efficient.  I notice that when I smoke, the smoke doesn't go to it right away.  I'm either going to install another one at the front of the shed or a smaller one.  As I will be smoking here in winter, I don't want too much cold air coming in. So a fan at the end of an insulated pipe might do the trick?

I have a rabbit air purifier in my 22x24 foot garage.  It’s positioned behind and right above my chairs.  With just myself smoking, I still need to open the garage door for a few minutes to clear it out when I’m done, but’s it’s not too bad.  It does very little for the lingering smell though (I have the carbon filter one, but the carbon filter is not thick enough to really be effective).  Before I got it I would have to open the door multiple times during a smoke to air it out, so it’s definitely helping, but it’s no miracle cure.  I also have a 400 cfm exhaust fan, and it honestly doesn’t make a big difference with that much space.  The rabbit air made a much bigger difference.

• Thanks 1

In my garage setup, since the smoke doesn’t rise very much on its own, it was important to get the smoke to the exhaust fan in the ceiling. I set up a small stand fan next to me pointing up to the ceiling and you can see the smoke go up and out. Otherwise I think you’d need a really powerful fan. Especially if there’s more than one smoker.  As others have mentioned, replacing outgoing bad air with incoming fresh air is the tricky bit. 

• Thanks 1

I installed this in my smoking room. The diameter is 150mm so not much but couldn't install the bigger one. 

The main question is: the cubature of the room and then multiply it 20 times. It's recommended to air out 20-30 times per hour.
image.png.b947d145f07a842aaa51c4221692039a.png

Fresh air is the key. For my garage setup, I’ve got a box fan exhausting out through a window and another box fan bringing in fresh air from a crawl space hatch. It was great over the summer as the air from the crawl space was cool. We’ll see how well this setup works over the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/4/2021 at 11:00 PM, El Presidente said:

We took a multiple option approach to what I call our cigar lounge, which essentially is an orangery off our lounge, separated by a patio door so quite easy for cigar smells to come into the house.

First we put one of these in - https://www.breathingspace.co.uk//air-purifiers-c1/air-purifiers-c26/stadler-form-roger-air-purifier-with-free-spare-filter-p229/s287

It works really well, just sits there all the time on auto mode. Even in the heaviest of herfs it does a great job of clearing the smoke and taking the edge off the smell.

We also added one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07W1HSQD9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to remove the stale cigar smell. I was very skeptical as it was so cheap. But at the end of the night we turn it on, close the patio door and the next morning there is no stale smell in the room. It is nice and fresh and ready to go again. As a bonus, as we have big bifold doors in the room looking into the garden, this also kills all the flies over night if we've ever had the doors open (all the time in the summer).

Finally, we have one of these on the table - https://www.lacasadeltabaco.com/en/product/ashleigh-burwood-premium-fragrance-lamp-large-oriental-woodland-2/, which just keeps the room fresh and inviting.

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2021 at 3:49 AM, medzikone said:

I installed this in my smoking room. The diameter is 150mm so not much but couldn't install the bigger one. 

The main question is: the cubature of the room and then multiply it 20 times. It's recommended to air out 20-30 times per hour.
image.png.b947d145f07a842aaa51c4221692039a.png

Have this in my patio smoking tent! Charcoal scrubber and vented out. Blue Air on output side and works pretty well. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Duxnutz said:

Have this in my patio smoking tent! Charcoal scrubber and vented out. Blue Air on output side and works pretty well. 

Please tell me more about this smoking tent! As winter approaches I'm seriously considering something.

3 hours ago, patrickamory said:

Please tell me more about this smoking tent! As winter approaches I'm seriously considering something.

Adam lives in Hawaii. I think his smoking tent would not be suitable for a Nth American winter. 🥶

I built mine in my shed so it’s detached from the house. I was able to put in an exhaust fan which has done the job quite well. Granted it’s only to not be engulfed while smoking, not looking for full blown smoke removal as to preserve the rest of the house. F42316F4-8239-4C6E-BEF5-3CA19D9EB289.jpeg.2fde8d0311932c6bb0a73b6af0b338cb.jpeg

EFD91846-ECB4-4A9D-B4B0-11B54767DF2F.jpeg

5D7E3F30-4E0E-4BBC-9A04-412A147CE49F.jpeg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NickV said:

I built mine in my shed so it’s detached from the house. I was able to put in an exhaust fan which has done the job quite well. Granted it’s only to not be engulfed while smoking, not looking for full blown smoke removal as to preserve the rest of the house. F42316F4-8239-4C6E-BEF5-3CA19D9EB289.jpeg.2fde8d0311932c6bb0a73b6af0b338cb.jpeg

EFD91846-ECB4-4A9D-B4B0-11B54767DF2F.jpeg

5D7E3F30-4E0E-4BBC-9A04-412A147CE49F.jpeg

What a great room!