This is for a pineapple.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

first, it is you're excused. people of all ages can ensure their grammar is correct.  secondly, if that is true, you only know it because ben told you.  finally, your (not you're) post sugge

Lusitania Sir Winston Esplendido Not because of price but rather because I'd be reluctant to give any cigar that takes over 90 minutes to smoke to a CC beginner.

I think many of the responses show the lack of understanding of the NC market. If the person is an NC smoker you have no idea whether all they smoke is Connecticut Shade, at which point they may

Lusitania

Sir Winston

Esplendido

Not because of price but rather because I'd be reluctant to give any cigar that takes over 90 minutes to smoke to a CC beginner.

• Like 4

To give a new smoker any of the following is a travesty.  As I know either of these will be lucky to survive past the halfway point.  Noobs get some kind of PC (minus SIglo II).

• Cohiba Esplendido. 
  • HU Sir Winston
  • BHK
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, El Presidente said:

That's why you have no friends 

more than likely. 

I am happy to share the love with Limited Edition FOH cigar stands to 3 posters!

Perhaps you and Ken could autograph those stands to make them Limited Edition?  That would be pretty cool although they'd probably go right to ebay 🤑🤣

Are we talking cigars to avoid because of flavor differences to NC or to avoid because of strength?

NCs went through a love affair with ligero so I’m not sure new-to-Cubans needs to be worried about strength if the person smoked NCs. In that case, you might want to avoid flavors that are far apart from NCs, but I always like to give someone new to Cubans something with the Cuban twang. 

Give

JL1

Party Short

PLMC

Not Give

BRC

Monte 4

RG Perla

If new to cigars and Cubans, I might go with:

Give
QDO 50

Fonseca No. 1

SLR Regio

Not Give
BBF

Party 898

RyJ Cazadores

• Like 2

Nothing Cohiba because I refuse to kowtow to the perceived hype or for someone doing it for “the gram”

No Robaina.  Doesn’t feel like a “typical” Cuban.

No Upmann 46.  For whatever reason I find that new smokers gravitate towards the Upmanns.  The 46 isn’t typical to the marca so I probably wouldn’t want to disabuse them of their notions.  

• Like 1

I think many of the responses show the lack of understanding of the NC market.

If the person is an NC smoker you have no idea whether all they smoke is Connecticut Shade, at which point they may find a large swath of Cubans to be significantly stronger than what they're used to. On the flip side they absolutely could be smoking My Father or Espinosa pepper bombs, at which point subtle and nuanced Cuban options might be lost on them.

There is a very, very large range of flavor profiles and despite the association of 'pepper bombs' with NCs, strong peppery NCs represent a very small portion of the market, and mild and creamy Connecticut Shades represent the largest portion of the market.

With all of that said: Going in blindly I'd be avoiding the top and bottom and middle. So no Cohiba, no Vegueros , no Ramon Allones. 

• Like 4

A better way to put this would be to ask what cigars you would give to someone new to Cuban cigars.

I would not give a long cigar or a rich/strong cigar.

I would not give an Upmann No.2 but perhaps a Diplomaticos No2. 

I would not give a Bolivar Royal Corona but I would give a Hoyo de Monterrey No.2.

I would not give a Cohiba Secreto but I would give a Partagas Short

• Like 4

17 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Generally it's people with friends and under that age of 65 who use it. Your excused. ;)

A twenty-dollar note is called a "lobster" because of its red colour. A fifty-dollar note is also known colloquially as a "pineapple" or the "Big Pineapple" because of its yellow colour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slang_terms_for_money

Say what? I thought a 20 was a watermelon?

I say this cos there's a notion of "give the new guy the shit cigars cos if they dont like it then its ok if they bin it".

I would NOT do that, so i would not give them Quinteros, JLP, Guantanamera. Sure these can be appreciated for what they are by smokers, but if you are having your first cigar you want to be wowed by it and get into it, not smoke floor sweepings and be disapointed.

A new smoker i WOULD give them HUHC, Bolivar Petite Corona, Partagas Short. If they are a cigar smoker, but never tried a cuban and i know they would smoke a full cigar, it would be Punch Punch, BBF, or Bolivar Petite Corona.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LordAnubis said:

Say what? I thought a 20 was a watermelon?

I say this cos there's a notion of "give the new guy the shit cigars cos if they dont like it then its ok if they bin it".

I would NOT do that, so i would not give them Quinteros, JLP, Guantanamera. Sure these can be appreciated for what they are by smokers, but if you are having your first cigar you want to be wowed by it and get into it, not smoke floor sweepings and be disapointed.

A new smoker i WOULD give them HUHC, Bolivar Petite Corona, Partagas Short. If they are a cigar smoker, but never tried a cuban and i know they would smoke a full cigar, it would be Punch Punch, BBF, or Bolivar Petite Corona.

Yep watermelon as well...$100 notes are called Don Bradmans

Boli period - BBF, BRC or tubos #1 (unless they tell me they like full NC's)

SP Beli or SPNP - an acquired taste and very hard to come by - probably wouldn't appreciate them.

HUP Mag 46 although I might offer a Mag 50 if they had time.

Other than those I'd walk them through anything else smoking well and let them pick.