Save Australia

I didn't know Australia had a stone washed jeans problem .. 😁

LordAnubis is viewing this thread..... 😉

I got my second jab on the weekend, so ready to rock and roll now... maybe one day the borders to my state (west austrlaia) will open up again... one can only dream. In the mean time, we'll carry on living our lives with no restrictions at all and zero community cases here for months.

I’m reminded of a George Carlin quote regarding motivational speakers: “This country needs less motivation. The motivated people are the ones causing all the problems.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If they were serious they’d be protesting standing on their heads. 😁

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cairo said:

I would encourage you to practice the fine art of humility.

History has not been very kind to "scientific certainty" of past ages.

A great book to read on this topic:

https://www.amazon.com/Structure-Scientific-Revolutions-50th-Anniversary/dp/0226458121

"Scientific certainty" is almost an oxymoron. The whole point of the scientific method is that it is a self-correcting system. It does a disservice to true science when, at least as history has shown, it is fringe science and pseudo science that usually spouts certainties in their beliefs. Most true scientists are very unwilling even within their own circles to be absolutely certain of anything outside of fundamental laws, and even then some.

On 10/5/2021 at 3:58 PM, SpecialK said:

I didn't know Australia had a stone washed jeans problem .. 😁

Ready yourselves for yourselves for overprice avocado toast!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Republican Ron DeSantis publicly questioned whether Australia was a ‘free country’ last week over restrictions and mask use. “Is Australia freer than communist China right now? I don’t know. The fact that’s even a question tells you something’s gone dramatically off the rails,” the Florida Governor said. In August, the Texas Freedom Coalition posted a map of Australia with “What the world’s largest prison looks like from space” on top of it.

Florida has a prison population of 95,622 - 4.5 per 1000 people.

Texas has a prison population of 151,213 - 5.2 per 1000 people.

Australia has a prison population of 41,060 - 1.6 per 1000 people 25,690,000 - 1000 per 1000 people

Somebody help us, today I had to wear a mask at work which is basically the same as being locked up at ADX Florence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, ayedfy said:

Republican Ron DeSantis publicly questioned whether Australia was a ‘free country’ last week over restrictions and mask use. “Is Australia freer than communist China right now? I don’t know.

Talk about throwing stones in a glass house:

China imprisoned population: 121 per 100,000

US imprisoned population: 698 per 100,000

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrBirdman said:

China imprisoned population: 121 per 100,000

US imprisoned population: 698 per 100,000

But all the people in Chinese prisons are innocent victims of authoritarian oppression, whereas all the people in US prisons are dangerous criminals who need to be locked up. (At least, that's the implication when the country with 25% of the world's prison population tries to lecture other countries on "freedom".)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Sticking to this... one of the most expensive breakfasts I've ever had was at "The Rocks" cafe in Sidney... it was also one of the best meals I'd ever had... but 19$ for Avacado toast is indeed Highway robbery:

image.png.7878932a8a04b8ea6e4951429d090016.png

I don't know why, but one of my pet hates is menus where the price is a number without any £/$, or even the .00 missing.  I get all proper middle-aged huffy and tutty. No idea where it comes from, there's no logical reason for why is get all pearl clutching over it

Might be underlying OCD; Home Baked Croissant-6....six what? Six bushes of wheat, six minutes of interpretive dance? 

..I worry about myself sometimes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Might be underlying OCD; Home Baked Croissant-6....six what? Six bushes of wheat, six minutes of interpretive dance? 

When you pass middle-age and get reeeeally old you could try getting outraged at the bill by claiming you thought they represented cents - “$6 for a croissant! In my day breakfast cost a nickel and a steak cost a dime!” 

The reason they do that, of course, is in the hope you’re brain fails to acknowledge it’s actually paying six dollars for one “home-baked” croissant.

Hate to go back to Carlin again, but he’s on the money here too: “Nothing at a restaurant is “homemade”…unless someone is living in the kitchen!”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MrBirdman said:

When you pass middle-age and get reeeeally old you could try getting outraged at the bill by claiming you thought they represented cents - “$6 for a croissant! In my day breakfast cost a nickel and a steak cost a dime!” 

"Sorry old man, that croissant was actually $6BTC", retorts the server. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RichG-LI-NY said:

"Sorry old man, that croissant was actually $6BTC", retorts the server. 

“Well sonny, I got 6 ShitCoins in my pants, so you take the pennies or I pay in those!”

You’ll be free to go at that point, it’ll be on the house 😉

• Haha 3