Your the owner. Your call.  :thinking:

Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan says head coach Urban Meyer must ‘regain our trust’ after ‘inexcusable’ video

BY  | 
UPDATED: OCTOBER 6, 2021 AT 6:55 AM
hypatia-h_0538993f278147f71c5ed7db386afa
Head coach Urban Meyer has apologized to his family and team. Mandatory Credit: Andy Lyons/Getty Images North America/Getty Images

(CNN) — Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan has criticized but ultimately stood by Urban Meyer after lewd videos of the NFL team’s head coach were shared widely online.

Footage of Meyer sitting on a stool at a bar in Columbus, Ohio, as a woman danced close to his lap went viral at the weekend before another clip emerged of the married 57-year-old appearing to touch the women’s bottom on the same night.

“I have addressed this matter with Urban. Specifics of our conversation will be held in confidence,” Khan said in a statement.

“What I will say is his conduct last weekend was inexcusable. I appreciate Urban’s remorse, which I believe is sincere. Now, he must regain our trust and respect.

“That will require a personal commitment from Urban to everyone who supports, represents or plays for our team. I am confident he will deliver.”

After the video was shared online, Meyer admitted he acted “stupid” and apologized to his team for being an unwelcome distraction to preparations.

He also acknowledged his family was left “upset” by the situation.

“I just apologized to the team and staff for being a distraction,” Meyer told reporters on Monday.

“It was stupid. So I explained everything that happened, owned it. It’s stupid. I should not have myself in that kind of position.”

Meyer has guided the team to an 0-4 start in his NFL debut season and did not fly back with the Jaguars after Thursday’s loss to the Cincinnati Bengals.

“I stayed to see the grandkids and we all went to dinner that night,” he explained.

“There was a big group next to our restaurant. They wanted me to come over and take pictures, and I did.

“They were trying to pull me out on the dance floor screwing around and I should have left.”

The Jaguars face the Tennessee Titans in their next game on Sunday.

Meyer’s last head coaching job was with Ohio State, from 2012-2018. He helped steer the team to a national title in 2014. He also won two national championships when he was head coach of the Florida Gators, in 2006 and 2008.

After stepping down as head coach at Ohio State, Meyer was a studio analyst for Fox Sports.

Jimmy Johnson went 1-15 his first year in Dallas. Maybe I'm in the minority but some gal giving you a semi lap dance fully clothed in a bar is not that outlandish.He probably had a few too many.  Granted he's married and an NFL head coach but it just doesn't warrant all this media attention. What is bad is he didn't fly back to Tampa on the team plane saying he wanted to visit his grandkids in Columbus. Then he pulls this crap at some bar. That is a huge affront to the team, staff and owner.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Woody Hayes said:

What is bad is he didn't fly back to Tampa on the team plane saying he wanted to visit his grandkids in Columbus. Then he pulls this crap at some bar. That is a huge affront to the team, staff and owner.

.....that would be the issue. 

I wouldn't worry if I were a Jaguars fan.  He's an amazing coach.  I've never understood why he's so polarizing.  I loved him while he coached the Buckeyes because he won, but my dad (who went to Ohio State and is a huge fan) hated him.

I think part of it is that when he goes to a program, it becomes his program.  The Urban Meyer Show.  Understandably, some people don't like that.  But historically, it's been effective in terms of winning.  Jags might be living on his terms now, not the other way around.

51 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Your the owner. Your call.  :thinking:

Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan says head coach Urban Meyer must ‘regain our trust’ after ‘inexcusable’ video

BY BEN CHURCH, CNN | OCTOBER 6, 2021 AT 6:37 AM
UPDATED: OCTOBER 6, 2021 AT 6:55 AM
hypatia-h_0538993f278147f71c5ed7db386afa
Head coach Urban Meyer has apologized to his family and team. Mandatory Credit: Andy Lyons/Getty Images North America/Getty Images

(CNN) — Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan has criticized but ultimately stood by Urban Meyer after lewd videos of the NFL team’s head coach were shared widely online.

Footage of Meyer sitting on a stool at a bar in Columbus, Ohio, as a woman danced close to his lap went viral at the weekend before another clip emerged of the married 57-year-old appearing to touch the women’s bottom on the same night.

“I have addressed this matter with Urban. Specifics of our conversation will be held in confidence,” Khan said in a statement.

“What I will say is his conduct last weekend was inexcusable. I appreciate Urban’s remorse, which I believe is sincere. Now, he must regain our trust and respect.

“That will require a personal commitment from Urban to everyone who supports, represents or plays for our team. I am confident he will deliver.”

After the video was shared online, Meyer admitted he acted “stupid” and apologized to his team for being an unwelcome distraction to preparations.

He also acknowledged his family was left “upset” by the situation.

“I just apologized to the team and staff for being a distraction,” Meyer told reporters on Monday.

“It was stupid. So I explained everything that happened, owned it. It’s stupid. I should not have myself in that kind of position.”

Meyer has guided the team to an 0-4 start in his NFL debut season and did not fly back with the Jaguars after Thursday’s loss to the Cincinnati Bengals.

“I stayed to see the grandkids and we all went to dinner that night,” he explained.

“There was a big group next to our restaurant. They wanted me to come over and take pictures, and I did.

“They were trying to pull me out on the dance floor screwing around and I should have left.”

The Jaguars face the Tennessee Titans in their next game on Sunday.

Meyer’s last head coaching job was with Ohio State, from 2012-2018. He helped steer the team to a national title in 2014. He also won two national championships when he was head coach of the Florida Gators, in 2006 and 2008.

After stepping down as head coach at Ohio State, Meyer was a studio analyst for Fox Sports.

hang on. he stayed to see the grandkids. are we sure that wasn't his granddaughter dancing and he was just being supportive? 

i remember Jimmy Johnson going 1-15. that was when i was over in DC. that was a conflicting time for us. when pity starts to take over from hate for a rival, that is a sad thing. of course, he did make up for it later.

that said, take a fricking guess as to which was the only NFL game i've ever attended live. yes, dallas's one win that season. spare me. november at RFK - scalped a ticket for $20. i had two or three pairs of socks on and big timberland boots and most of my entire wardrobe and the cold still came right up the bones. the cheerleaders were all wearing eskimo gear. it was a beautiful cloudless afternoon and the coldest day in the history of the world. and the skins lose. to dallas. good luck convincing me there was a god after that. 

the great joe gibbs (whom i believe tampa saw no future in him hanging around) went 0-5 first season. mind you, i suspect if you asked joe what a lapdance was, he wouldn't have a clue. and i think that even though they were 0-5, at that stage the skins (as they were then) lead the entire league in most attacking stats - TDs, yards of offence, and so on. though how you manage that going 0-5 i have no idea. 

if i was khan, i would have hauled him in - no doubt there is a behaviour clause in his contract which would be fine if sacked now but not really applicable in three months if he does not transgress again - and given him the option. sacked on the spot and presumably no payout or redo the contract so he can be sacked any time without a payout. you don't want this idiot to go 0-16 and then get umpteen million when they sack him at the end of the season. 

Just now, Ken Gargett said:

hang on. he stayed to see the grandkids. are we sure that wasn't his granddaughter dancing and he was just being supportive? 

:rotfl::rotfl:

He is 100% gone... he has a coach that fired another coach now both working for the jags....he has coaches with completely different styles and philosophies. The players have lost any respect for the guy. 

He was an excellent college coach not because of tactics but because he could recruit 5-star talent. That doesn't translate well into the NFL. 

He wasn't going to finish the season the fingers in the bum hole will expedite things. 

Game over Urban. 

He's a "dead man (coach) walking" now as far as I'm concerned. He'll be lucky to make it past Thanksgiving. 

Agree with others that it appears the players no longer respect him. No respect = no passion & won't sell out for him. He's done...

Ole Bourbon Meyer is going to flame out. I just hope it lasts as long as possible. It adds more  to an already immensely entertaining league. Shad should absolutely start thinking about the next phase. Let's hope it's later than sooner.

...I did pick Jaguars this week. 

On the one hand I would certainly play harder for a coach who frequented strip bars......but one who would take the rest of the team with him :D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

I had two or three pairs of socks on and big timberland boots

..your wardrobe hasn't changed.....:D

Just now, Ken Gargett said:

why would it?

In th old place before a vid review....."ken put some pants on" comes to mind......:rotfl:

Just now, El Presidente said:

In th old place before a vid review....."ken put some pants on" comes to mind......:rotfl:

my mother has a better memory than you and she doesn't remember having lunch, let alone what she had. 

Urban is a hell of a coach, but this is compounded by his issues at Jax, the tOSU scandal with his WR coach and his Florida squad basically being the Longest Yard felony team. 

• Like 4

One and done. As pointed out by previous posters. He's a great recruiter, not a great coach. And he is definitely used to being the star of the show. That ain't gonna fly in the NFL. It's not easy being an elite college coach and he was/is one. Being an NFL coach requires a different skill set. He started losing the team early on when he brought Tebow in for a tryout.

Take heart Jaguar fans. Competent coaches are going to be available after this season. They always are. They'll all want a shot at coaching Trevor Lawrence.

• Like 2

Doomed from the beginning. He's just not an NFL coach. This incident just sped up his inevitable exit. 

He should be fired for various reasons. If there is a morality clause or code of conduct policy and they can fire him with cause, they will. If the have to spend huge sums of money to get rid of him, we’ll see if the fire him anyway or come up with some lame excuse to keep him.