MLB Postseason Baseball 2021

JohnS

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

usa_today_14495831.0.jpg.5ebf14a12f4128ee9fdf04a126db7d32.jpg

A few questions for our members today...

Is Atlanta Braves first baseman, Freddie Freeman one of the nicest guys in Baseball (if not the nicest) and as his parents are Canadian and he holds dual Canadian-American citizenship, does that mean our Canadian members are more likely to sympathise with the Braves in the NLCS?

He is one of the nicest guys. I didn’t know he was a fellow Canadian. I am all in on the Dodgers but if Atlanta ends up in the World Series I will be cheering for them. 

• Like 2

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Greeting dear and valued friends! I reckon whoever said, 'tis the season to be jolly' was drunk at the time and was really meaning October Postseason Baseball and not Christmas! After all, is the

Go Dodgers!

Unfortunately, she didn’t make the team. 😔 Can’t handle the outside curveball...

Watch Freddie when someone gets a single. He's (famously) not trash-talking, he's asking them about their family, kids, latest fishing trip. His "Nice Guy" reputation is well earned...

• Like 1

rf3ngt5n2hh3niw3burd.jpg.eca08efb4436112e4c8bc7d6c0b9f42c.jpg

So the Championship Series looks like this at the moment:

ALCS: Boston 1 - Houston 1

NLCS: Los Angeles 0 - Atlanta 2

In my opinion, Boston would have aimed to have split the first two games in Houston at least in preparation for a 3-game 'Home Stand' (i.e. a series of games at a Baseball team's home park) at Fenway Park. I thought they did very well to come back the way they did in Game 2.

In the NLCS, I felt that the Divisional Series between SF-LA has fatigued LA in this NLCS. On the other hand, I have been impressed by how Atlanta has fought to stay in both Games 1 and 2, with the difference between both teams been the exceptional, aggressive base-running by Atlanta. LA are in a 0-2 'hole', but they were in this position before in the NLCS in 2020 against the same opposition , Atlanta and came back to win in seven games and ultimately defeat Tampa Bay to take the World Series in 2020.

Here is an interesting article about teams coming back from 2-0 down and winning post-season series. The odds of Los Angeles coming back and winning is one-in-six of 16%. Still, they have the best roster in Baseball and I don;t think they will be easy to beat at home.

The Championship Broadcast Schedule looks like this for this week:

LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES
Best-of-seven

Friday, Oct. 15
Astros 5, Red Sox 4: Game 1

Sunday, Oct. 17
Braves 5, Dodgers 4: Game 2

Monday, Oct. 18
• Astros at Red Sox, Game 3 (FS1, 8 p.m. ET)

Tuesday, Oct. 19
• Braves at Dodgers, Game 3 (TBS, 5 p.m. ET)
• Astros at Red Sox, Game 4 (FS1, 8 p.m. ET)

Wednesday, Oct. 20
• Astros at Red Sox, Game 5 (FS1, 5 p.m. ET)
• Braves at Dodgers, Game 4 (TBS, 8 p.m. ET)

Thursday, Oct. 21
• Braves at Dodgers, Game 5* (TBS, 8 p.m. ET)

Friday, Oct. 22
• Red Sox at Astros, Game 6* (FS1, 8 p.m. ET)

Saturday, Oct. 23
• Dodgers at Braves, Game 6* (TBS, 5 p.m. ET)
• Red Sox at Astros, Game 7* (FOX/FS1, 8 p.m. ET)

Start time of NLCS Game 6 will move to 8 p.m. ET if the ALCS has concluded

Sunday, Oct. 24
• Dodgers at Braves, Game 7* (TBS, 7:30 p.m. ET)

• Thanks 1

ALCS: Boston 2 - Houston 2

NLCS: Los Angeles 1 - Atlanta 2

The odds of those comebacks, at those stages of the eighth innings were 26% for Houston and 6% for Los Angeles. The Dodgers had to come back because a 3-0 'hole' in a seven-game series is a virtual death knell for teams, there's no way back from that situation. Incidentally, the Dodgers have never come back from being three runs behind or more from the 8th innings onwards in a postseason game.

It was pleasing to see, from a baseball perspective, two players not in the form we're accustomed to come back and deliver crucial game-winning performances.

For Jose Altuve, he has been a quiet bat and made key defensive errors in the ALCS so far but that home run in the 8th tied things up and allowed Houston to gain momentum in the 9th.

For Cody Bellinger, that 3-run home run was incredible. For him to hit that so high above the strike zone, well...he knew it was coming because he has been noted for striking out on the fast ball of late. However, the reason Braves pitcher Luke Jackson was hit out of the park and not responsible for holding onto a lead was due to the pitch being 95 mph and not 98-99 with late movement like what one has seen many-a-time over the years with pitchers such as Mariano Rivera and Jacob de Grom. If that pitch was a little faster with some late movement it would have definitely been a 'lights out' strike-out at-bat, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

ALCS: Boston 2 - Houston 2

NLCS: Los Angeles 1 - Atlanta 2

The odds of those comebacks, at those stages of the eighth innings were 26% for Houston and 6% for Los Angeles. The Dodgers had to come back because a 3-0 'hole' in a seven-game series is a virtual death knell for teams, there's no way back from that situation. Incidentally, the Dodgers have never come back from being three runs behind or more from the 8th innings onwards in a postseason game.

It was pleasing to see, from a baseball perspective, two players not in the form we're accustomed to come back and deliver crucial game-winning performances.

For Jose Altuve, he has been a quiet bat and made key defensive errors in the ALCS so far but that home run in the 8th tied things up and allowed Houston to gain momentum in the 9th.

For Cody Bellinger, that 3-run home run was incredible. For him to hit that so high above the strike zone, well...he knew it was coming because he has been noted for striking out on the fast ball of late. However, the reason Braves pitcher Luke Jackson was hit out of the park and not responsible for holding onto a lead was due to the pitch being 95 mph and not 98-99 with late movement like what one has seen many-a-time over the years with pitchers such as Mariano Rivera and Jacob de Grom. If that pitch was a little faster with some late movement it would have definitely been a 'lights out' strike-out at-bat, in my opinion.

Another two inches higher and Bellinger HR would be considered a "Tomahawk" HR

• Haha 1

So the Championship Series has now come down to elimination games:

ALCS: Boston 2 - Houston 3

NLCS: Los Angeles 1 - Atlanta 3

In other words, both Houston and Atlanta need one more game to win their series, whereas both Boston (2) and Los Angeles (3) have to win their remaining games.

In the Boston-Houston ALCS I have felt that Boston had momentum in the early games because they built up leads early. Houston has comeback in the last two games because they have had better pitching results at the beginning and middle of Game 4 and 5 and went on the offensive against Boston's bullpen. I think Houston is favoured to win Game 6 or 7 at home, but baseball is a funny game and I wouldn't count Boston out from winning two on the road.

In the Los Angeles-Atlanta NLCS we have a repeat of last year, on the one hand, and on the other we don't. The fact that Atlanta has led this series 2-0 and now 3-1 mirrors the 2020 NLCS exactly and Los Angeles came back from that. However, I feel 2021 is different. There's no Max Muncy, Clayton Kershaw and now Justin Turner. Los Angeles' sub-standard defensive fielding in Game 4 is evidence to me of a tired team. The Dodgers have a 16% or 1-in-6 chance of winning the next three games. It can be done, but surely the odds are that Atlanta will not repeat their performances of Games 5,6 and 7 from last year's NLCS in this current one.

• Like 1

Well friends, I thought Freddie Freeman's 2-run homer to open things up in Game 5 was the beginning of the end for the Dodgers but Chris Taylor came along and had the game of his life. 3 home runs...can you believe it?

This all sets up a beautiful Game 6 scenario for both the NLCS and ALCS. Throughout MLB Postseason history often the most memorable games have been Game 6 scenarios, possibly because these games are 'do-or-die' and with the whole season on the line players step-up and do amazing feats. I am hoping for two great Game 6s this weekend.

Here is an article highlighting great Game 6 scenarios of the past.

• Like 1

I kept telling y’all to keep an eye on the Braves...

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 12:10 PM, Chas.Alpha said:

I kept telling y’all to keep an eye on the Braves...

XUgbqiH.jpeg.7d21a80b11d402668b7a08add8eafa90.jpeg.b9e0b56b7480fe36420901c6780dc6ce.jpeg

Just tell me which eye! 😁

Seriously though...Game 6 in both the ALCS and NLCS saw both homes teams advance to the World Series. Houston are in their 3rd World Series in 5 years and Atlanta is in their first since 1999.

Boston were in Game 6 until the 8th when Houston broke out and tacked on 3 more runs. I thought Yordan Alvarez, as MVP, had a great series.

I thought that Game 6 of the NLCS was defined by just three key moments. Obviously one was MVP Eddie Rosario's 3-run home run in the 4th which subsequently retired Walker Buehler from the game. However, the combined relief pitching for Atlanta from A.J Minter and Tyler Matzek is what decided the game in my view, especially those three consecutive strikeouts to kill the LA rally in the 7th inning with two-on (base) and nobody out.

oeqcrzkrnkgcdqnlzht0.jpg.28e86a864711c2452c53ccba0c696bf4.jpg

And so 2021 will see Houston host Atlanta for Games 1, 2 and 6 and 7 (if needed). Atlanta will host Houston in Games 3, 4 and 5 (if needed). Below are dates and telecast times...

WORLD SERIES
Best-of-seven

Tuesday, Oct. 26
• Braves at Astros, Game 1 (FOX, 8 p.m. ET)

Wednesday, Oct. 27
• Braves at Astros, Game 2 (FOX, 8 p.m. ET)

Friday, Oct. 29
• Astros at Braves, Game 3 (FOX, 8 p.m. ET)

Saturday, Oct. 30
• Astros at Braves, Game 4 (FOX, 8 p.m. ET)

Sunday, Oct. 31
• Astros at Braves, Game 5* (FOX, 8 p.m. ET)

Tuesday, Nov. 2
• Braves at Astros, Game 6* -- (FOX, 8 p.m. ET)

Wednesday, Nov. 3
• Braves at Astros, Game 7* -- (FOX, 8 p.m. ET)

* - if necessary

In this year's World Series, Houston are favoured due to their better record. However, Baseball is very much a funny game which absolutely no-one can predict sometimes! I hope you enjoy this article highlighting the 10 biggest upsets in Postseason history by underdog teams!

• Like 1

Happy wife this morning. “Get up! Take me to the beach!!! C’mon! GET UP!!!”

40C304A5-E2F5-41E6-822B-4339C8375777.png

CE5C2151-E5D2-415A-B571-3FA5100004F6.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chas.Alpha said:

Happy wife this morning. “Get up! Take me to the beach!!! C’mon! GET UP!!!”

Your wife in a photo with Tom Glavine and another one with Bobby Cox? One word..."wow"!!! 😮

• Like 2

2021 World Series - Atlanta Braves vs Houston Astros

Game 1

150px-AJ_Minter_from_Nationals_vs._Brave

A. J. Minter entered Game 1 in relief of the injured Charlie Morton and earned the win.

October 26, 2021 7:11 pm (CDT) at Minute Maid Park in Houston, Texas, 73 °F (23 °C), roof closed
Team 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
Atlanta 2 1 2 0 0 0 0 1 0 6 12 1
Houston 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 2 8 1
WP: A. J. Minter (1–0)   LP: Framber Valdez (0–1)
Home runs:
ATL: Jorge Soler (1), Adam Duvall (1)
HOU: None
Attendance: 42,825
Boxscore

In pregame ceremonies, the national anthem was performed by Keke Palmer, and the ceremonial first pitch was thrown out by former Astro and National Baseball Hall of Fame inductee Craig Biggio.

Framber Valdez started for Houston while former Astro Charlie Morton started for Atlanta. Jorge Soler led off the World Series with a home run to left for a 1–0 Atlanta lead after the first three pitches; he became the first player ever to lead off a World Series with a home run. A one-out single by Ozzie Albies followed by a double from Austin Riley gave the Braves a 2–0 lead. In the bottom of the first, the Astros had the bases loaded with two outs following a single and two walks, but Morton got Kyle Tucker to ground out, ending the threat. Atlanta added a run in the top of the second on two singles, a fly out, and a fielder's choice, making it 3–0. Freddie Freeman then singled and Albies beat out an infield grounder, loading the bases with two outs, but Valdez struck out Riley to end the inning. In the top of the third, Eddie Rosario singled, followed by a two-run home run from Adam Duvall, making it 5–0 Braves and driving Valdez from the game after 52 pitches.

Morton left in the bottom of the third inning with an injury; X-rays later revealed a fibular fracture in his right leg, causing him to miss the remainder of the series. The injury stemmed from a comebacker off the bat of first baseman Yuli Gurriel in the bottom of the second. It is unclear precisely when Morton's leg was fractured; Braves manager Brian Snitker told reporters that X-rays taken in between innings revealed nothing wrong with Morton, though he said Morton's leg was "stressed." Morton threw 16 pitches following the injury, retiring the next three batters he faced and striking out two.

A. J. Minter was brought in, greeted by Michael Brantley who hit a one-out double to right. Minter retired the next two batters to end the inning. In the bottom of the fourth inning, Tucker hit a one-out double, advanced to third when Yuli Gurriel singled with one out, and scored on a fielder's choice, making it 5–1. In the top of the eighth, after three scoreless innings, Dansby Swanson walked, advanced to third on a single by Soler, and scored on a sacrifice fly by Freeman, extending Atlanta's lead to 6–1. In the bottom of the inning, Yordan Álvarez hit a lead-off triple then scored on a groundout by Carlos Correa, making the score 6–2. In the bottom of the ninth, Atlanta closer Will Smith allowed only one walk, to Aledmys Díaz, as the Braves took a 1–0 lead in the series. Minter, who pitched 2+2⁄3 innings in relief, got the win, while Valdez took the loss.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_World_Series

Experts pick World Series winner, MVP

MLB.com polled its reporters and analysts for their World Series predictions:

1. Which team will win the World Series?
  2. How many games will the Series last?
  3. Who will be World Series MVP?
  4. Who will be the unsung hero of the Fall Classic?

These are the results.

Who will win the World Series?

The Astros are playing in their third World Series in the past five years. The Braves, who came up just short of reaching the Fall Classic a year ago, are back in the World Series for the first time since 1999.

Only one of them can be the World Series champion, and the MLB experts see a clear favorite: Houston.

This was the final tally:

Astros: 52 votes
Braves: 24 votes

How many games will the series last?

The Astros and Braves are coming off big wins over postseason rivals in the League Championship Series -- the Astros dispatched the Red Sox, who defeated them in the 2018 ALCS, while the Braves finally beat the Dodgers, who eliminated them last year and in 2018.

Both of those series lasted six games, and MLB.com's experts are predicting another tight matchup in the World Series. Of the 52 voters who picked the Astros, 38 think they’ll need six or seven games to get the job done.

Here's how all the predictions broke down:

Astros in 7 games: 6
Astros in 6 games: 32
Astros in 5 games: 13
Astros in 4 games: 1

Braves in 7 games: 7
Braves in 6 games: 15
Braves in 5 games: 1
Braves in 4 games: 1

Most Braves backers also think this is going to come down to the wire, with 22 of the 24 Atlanta voters predicting the series will go six or seven games.

“The Astros are loaded with talent and battle tested, but the Braves are very good themselves and just have some magic to them,” writes editor Bryan Horowitz. “Not to mention, they have the edge in starting pitching; if they can go against the grain and get 6+ strong innings from a couple of these guys it could be a real game-changer.”

Overall, nearly 79% of the voters (60 of 76) think the series will go six or seven games, no matter who wins, and 13 voters think this is going all seven, which is exactly what happened in each of Houston’s previous two World Series appearances, with the Astros defeating the Dodgers in 2017 and losing to the Nationals in 2019.

Who will be World Series MVP?

It’s possible Correa is about to play his final games with the Astros, as the shortstop can become a free agent this offseason. Many of our voters think Correa is going to hit the open market on the highest of notes: with a World Series MVP Award.

More than half (27 of 52) of the MLB.com experts who selected the Astros to win also had Correa as the MVP.

“If Correa thinks these may be his last games in an Astros uniform, he could have a huge series and head into free agency with momentum,” says editor Dan Cichalski.

Here's who got World Series MVP votes:

Carlos Correa, SS, Astros: 27
Jose Altuve, 2B, Astros: 7
Kyle Tucker, LF, Astros: 7
Yordan Alvarez, DH, Astros: 6
Alex Bregman, 3B, Astros: 3
Yuli Gurriel, 1B, Astros: 1
Michael Brantley, OF, Astros: 1

Freddie Freeman, 1B, Braves: 14
Joc Pederson, RF, Braves: 3
Ozzie Albies, 2B, Braves: 2
Austin Riley, 3B, Braves: 2
Eddie Rosario, LF, Braves: 2
Charlie Morton, RHP, Braves: 1

Correa isn’t exactly a surprising MVP pick. The 27-year-old is an excellent defender at shortstop and already has an impressive postseason resume at the plate, tying for the seventh-most postseason home runs (18) ever and ranking sixth all time in RBIs (55) entering this Fall Classic.

“Despite the Braves' starting pitching looking to be in better shape than the Astros', Houston's big guns will not be denied,” says David Venn, the executive editor of MLB.com's Spanish-language site, LasMayores.com. “Carlos Correa will put an exclamation point on his Astros tenure with a huge series at the plate.”

Among experts who chose the Braves to win, Freeman, who also can become a free agent after the World Series, was a popular pick for MVP. The anchor of Atlanta’s lineup earned 14 of the 24 MVP votes cast (58.3%) for a Braves player.

Who will be the unsung hero?

Anyone can emerge as a surprise hero in October, so there were a lot of players on both sides picked here -- that's kind of the point.

But there were a few players on each side who stood out: for the Astros, reliever Cristian Javier and catcher Martín Maldonado, and for the Braves, reliever Tyler Matzek and shortstop Dansby Swanson.

Javier and Matzek helped carry their teams through the LCS with their work in relief -- Javier as an invaluable inning-eater in the middle of games for Houston, Matzek as an electric late-inning arm for Atlanta.

These were all the players picked to be the unsung hero of this year's World Series:

Cristian Javier, RHP, Astros: 10
Martín Maldonado, C, Astros: 8
Kendall Graveman, RHP, Astros: 5
Chas McCormick, CF, Astros: 4
Kyle Tucker, LF, Astros: 4
Luis Garcia, RHP, Astros: 3
Zack Greinke, RHP, Astros: 3
Framber Valdez, LHP, Astros: 3
Michael Brantley, LF, Astros: 2
Ryan Pressly, RHP, Astros: 2
Jose Siri, CF, Astros: 2
Yuli Gurriel, 1B, Astros: 1
Phil Maton, RHP, Astros: 1
Ryne Stanek, RHP, Astros: 1
Blake Taylor, LHP, Astros: 1
Jason Castro, C, Astros: 1
Carlos Correa, SS, Astros: 1

Tyler Matzek, LHP, Braves: 10
Dansby Swanson, SS, Braves: 4
Max Fried, LHP, Braves: 2
Joc Pederson, RF, Braves: 2
Ozzie Albies, 2B, Braves: 1
A.J. Minter, LHP, Braves: 1
Eddie Rosario, LF, Braves: 1
Will Smith, LHP, Braves: 1

Source: https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-experts-make-2021-world-series-predictions

Game 2

180px-Jos%C3%A9_Altuve_2017.jpg

José Altuve hit the Astros' first home run of the series in Game 2.

October 27, 2021 7:09 pm (CDT) at Minute Maid Park in Houston, Texas, 73 °F (23 °C), clear
Atlanta 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 2 7 2
Houston 1 4 0 0 0 1 1 0 X 7 9 0
WP: José Urquidy (1–0)   LP: Max Fried (0–1)
Home runs:
ATL: Travis d'Arnaud (1)
HOU: José Altuve (1)
Attendance: 42,833
Boxscore

Prior to the game, Atlanta added Tucker Davidson to their roster in replacement of the injured Charlie Morton. Giavanni Walker, a petty officer first class in the United States Navy, sang the national anthem and Hall of Famer Jeff Bagwell threw the ceremonial first pitch.

Max Fried started for Atlanta while José Urquidy started for Houston. The scoring started in the bottom of the first inning, a double by José Altuve, him advancing to third on a flyout from Michael Brantley, and Alex Bregman hitting a sacrifice fly, making it 1–0. At the top of the second with a full count and two outs, Atlanta tied the game at 1–1 on a solo home run to left field by Travis d'Arnaud. The game turned in the second inning, starting on an RBI single by José Siri as the Astros regained the lead. With runners on first and second, Martín Maldonado delivered a base hit to the outfield. Braves left fielder Eddie Rosario tried to throw to third baseman Austin Riley to nab Siri as he attempted to advance to third, but the throw went wide to the backstop, allowing Siri to score to make it 4–1. Michael Brantley chipped in a hit to make it 5–1; in total, the Astros collected four runs on five singles, tying their club record for most hits in an inning in the World Series.

With two outs in the top of the fifth inning, Freddie Freeman delivered an RBI single to left, scoring d'Arnaud and cut the Astro lead to 5–2. Houston extended their lead to 6–2 in the sixth on a fielder's choice that scored Yordan Álvarez. In the bottom of the seventh inning, Altuve hit a home run on the first pitch by Drew Smyly. It was his 22nd of his post-season career, tying Altuve with Bernie Williams for second all-time. Manny Ramirez has the most post-season home runs in history with 29. This was the first victory by the home team in a World Series since 2018 and the first for the Astros since Game 5 of the 2017 World Series.

Game 3

180px-Ian_Anderson_%2850337312776%29_%28

Ian Anderson threw five no-hit innings as Atlanta's starting pitcher in Game 3.

October 29, 2021 8:12 pm (EDT) at Truist Park in Atlanta, Georgia, 49 °F (9 °C), drizzle
Houston 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0
Atlanta 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 X 2 6 1

WP: Ian Anderson (1–0)   LP: Luis García (0–1)   Sv: Will Smith (1)
Home runs:
HOU: None
ATL: Travis d'Arnaud (2)
Attendance: 42,898
Boxscore

In pregame ceremonies, the ceremonial first pitch was thrown out by Hank Aaron Jr., as his father was honored before the game; the national anthem was performed by Zac Brown. This was the first World Series game ever played at Truist Park, and the first played in Atlanta since 1999. Ian Anderson started for Atlanta while Luis García started for Houston, marking the first time two rookie pitchers started against each other in a World Series since Justin Verlander and Anthony Reyes opened Game 1 in 2006.

After two and a half scoreless innings, the Braves scored on an RBI double by Austin Riley that drove in Eddie Rosario in the bottom of the third inning. García was relieved after 3+2⁄3 innings, having allowed one run on three hits while striking out six batters. Anderson allowed no hits, three walks, and one hit batsman while striking out four in five innings. The Astros remained hitless through seven innings, as A. J. Minter and Luke Jackson did not allow a hit in the sixth or seventh, respectively. Tyler Matzek started the eighth for the Braves and allowed a bloop single to Aledmys Díaz, who was replaced by José Siri as a pinch-runner. With two outs, Siri stole second and advanced to third on a throwing error by Travis d'Arnaud, but was left on base as Michael Brantley popped out. In the bottom of the eighth, d'Arnaud hit a solo home run to extend Atlanta's lead to 2–0. Will Smith, Atlanta's closer, pitched the top of the ninth inning. He allowed a leadoff single to Alex Bregman, then retired the next three batters, giving Atlanta a 2–1 lead in the series. The seven-inning no-hit bid by the Atlanta pitching staff was the longest in a World Series game since Jim Lonborg of the Boston Red Sox went 7+2⁄3 innings before allowing a hit in Game 2 of the 1967 World Series.

You should have been at my house last night!!! 😀

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chas.Alpha said:

You should have been at my house last night!!! 😀

Was it a little like winning the lottery? 😂

You know, Joe Torre, the famous former and very successful New York Yankees manager, once said that Game 3 in a seven-game series is often the most critical to win. I wonder how that maxim will pan out with this series?

• Like 1

Back in the early 80’s, Debbie (wife) was in sports radio broadcasting. She told me that she traded for this from someone in the studio. (I didn’t ask for what😳)

Her passion for the Braves is honest...

1CFA5A86-F984-4013-957D-345354003EE1.jpeg

D70905C5-2C34-44C1-9EB5-084C1BE9376F.jpeg

56E016D1-D1F2-448D-92D4-477FF1A36211.png

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chas.Alpha said:

Back in the early 80’s, Debbie (wife) was in sports radio broadcasting. She told me that she traded for this from someone in the studio. (I didn’t ask for what😳)

Her passion for the Braves is honest...

Incredible stuff...I love it! 👍

• Like 1

Game 4

180px-Jorge_Soler_2019.jpg

Jorge Soler's pinch-hit home run was the deciding run of Game 4.

October 30, 2021 8:11 pm (EDT) at Truist Park in Atlanta, Georgia, 53 °F (12 °C), cloudy
Houston 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 8 0
Atlanta 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 0 X 3 8 1

WP: Tyler Matzek (1–0)   LP: Cristian Javier (0–1)   Sv: Will Smith (2)
Home runs:
HOU: José Altuve (2)
ATL: Dansby Swanson (1), Jorge Soler (2)
Attendance: 43,125
Boxscore

Prior to the game, the Astros replaced backup catcher Jason Castro on their roster with Garrett Stubbs, due to COVID-19 protocols. The ceremonial first pitch was thrown out by cancer survivor Elizabeth O’Connor, and the national anthem was performed by Jordan Fisher. Former U.S. President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump attended the game. Zack Greinke started for Houston, while Dylan Lee acted as an opener for Atlanta in his first MLB start. Greinke was placed eighth in Houston's batting order, the first starting pitcher in a World Series game not to bat ninth since Babe Ruth in Game 4 of the 1918 World Series.

In the top of the first, Lee allowed a hit to José Altuve while issuing two walks and recording one strikeout, then was relieved by Kyle Wright. Altuve scored on a ground out by Carlos Correa to give the Astros an early 1–0 lead. Altuve hit a solo home run in the top of the fourth to extend Houston's lead to 2–0. Greinke exited after four innings, having allowed no runs on four hits while striking out three and walking none. In the bottom of the sixth, Atlanta had runners at first and second with one out, via a double and a walk. Houston reliever Phil Maton entered, struck out Ozzie Albies, and allowed a hit to Austin Riley that scored a run, cutting the lead to 2–1. After an intentional walk to Joc Pederson that loaded the bases with two outs, Maton struck out Travis d'Arnaud to end the rally. Back-to-back solo home runs by Dansby Swanson and Jorge Soler off of Cristian Javier with one out in the bottom of the seventh put Atlanta ahead, 3–2. After a scoreless eighth inning, Atlanta closer Will Smith entered to pitch the top of the ninth. He retired the side in order for his second save in two days, as Atlanta took a 3–1 lead in the series.