Going to London next week. What should I check out? What's the 1 cigar lounge that you'd check out?


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, ChangBang said:

Oh I heard it was fine?  Maybe if they grew up with bad coffee, then the coffee is just fine lol.  Plus I think my friend is a big tea drinker too....  Good to know, thanks!  I'll have to add that into the food/drink categories to look into. 

Any tips on sunday roast?  Just looked at reservations and Blacklock in SoHo is straight up booked or isn't taking reservations on the 17th.

Haha yep will do!  Did a lot of walking in Tokyo so hopefully it isn't too weird for me!

I've not had a Sunday roast there but Hawksmoor are generally pretty good with meat. I'm sure someone else might have a cigar friendly recommendation though.

https://thehawksmoor.com/locations/airstreet/

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Sir Winston at Churchill's. Thanks for the tip!  Too bad scotch eggs are no longer served 😕  

I've lived in London for 25 years, and travelled a lot too. London is a very safe city by international standards. Of course you need to exercise basic common sense, so don't leave your valuables lyin

Your list is a good one. However, I would also look into Sautter on Mount Street in the Mayfair district. The lounge has been a mainstay in London for more than 50 years. You’ll probably catch the own

6 minutes ago, cnov said:

I've not had a Sunday roast there but Hawksmoor are generally pretty good with meat. I'm sure someone else might have a cigar friendly recommendation though.

https://thehawksmoor.com/locations/airstreet/

Cool thanks, I've heard the name pop up I'll take a look.  Not too concerned with them being cigar friendly, I don't plan on smoking while eating and having a post meal smoke on a park bench with a nice view sounds a lot better to me!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ChangBang said:

Oh I heard it was fine?  Maybe if they grew up with bad coffee, then the coffee is just fine lol.  Plus I think my friend is a big tea drinker too....  Good to know, thanks!  I'll have to add that into the food/drink categories to look into. 

Any tips on sunday roast?  Just looked at reservations and Blacklock in SoHo is straight up booked or isn't taking reservations on the 17th.

Haha yep will do!  Did a lot of walking in Tokyo so hopefully it isn't too weird for me!

Sorry dude. I live out in the edges of London. Don't think I've ever had a Sunday roast in town! Unless anyone else can advise you're slave to the internet on that one. Just avoid Weathspoons lol

There's great coffee in London. One just has to find it. I like Monmouth, there's one at Borough Market! Don't know many other secret coffee gurus in afraid.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ha_banos said:

Sorry dude. I live out in the edges of London. Don't think I've ever had a Sunday roast in town! Unless anyone else can advise you're slave to the internet on that one. Just avoid Weathspoons lol

There's great coffee in London. One just has to find it. I like Monmouth, there's one at Borough Market! Don't know many other secret coffee gurus in afraid.

 

No worries, rechecked and a spot opened up in the shoreditch location.  Sweet there's a monmouth within a 7 min walk from my hotel!  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ha_banos said:

There's great coffee in London. One just has to find it. I like Monmouth, there's one at Borough Market! Don't know many other secret coffee gurus in afraid.

 

second for coffee and Monmouth. There is one outlet just next to borough market. be sure to try their chocolate truffles as well!

suggest brunch at Wolseley. Goodman has steak in the same quality as Hawksmoor. Barrafina has pretty good tapas and Koya has nice udon. am a fan of the food at Lurra too, and they have a courtyard in the back where you can have a cigar after your meal.

For bars, my favourite is Churchill bar and terrace at Hyatt Regency. You can BYOC with a minimum spend of around 30 quid. Their scotch eggs are fantastic too.

Edited by Meklown
spelling typo
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Meklown said:

second for coffee and Mounmouth. There is one outlet just next to borough market. be sure to try their chocolate truffles as well!

suggest brunch at Wolseley. Goodman has steak in the same quality as Hawksmoor. Barrafina has pretty good tapas and Koya has nice udon. am a fan of the food at Lurra too, and they have a courtyard in the back where you can have a cigar after your meal.

For bars, my favourite is Churchill bar and terrace at Hyatt Regency. You can BYOC with a minimum spend of around 30 quid. Their scotch eggs are fantastic too.

+1 for Barrafina, worth the queuing. Went there for my wife's birthday a few years ago, the service and food were both impeccable.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Find AJ Patel. That would be my recommendation LCDH Teddington or Cavendish. I'm not sure where he is these days. I haven't been visiting since covid but the guy is seriously cigar yoda.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

No. 6 Cavendish is your closest bet. Teddington is a way away. Reminds me I'm due a visit though. But it's pot luck where Ajay is. 🤷😊

 

Just had another recommendation for Hawksmoor for Sunday lunch/roast beef dinner!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2021 at 7:46 PM, Meklown said:

second for coffee and Monmouth. There is one outlet just next to borough market. be sure to try their chocolate truffles as well!

suggest brunch at Wolseley. Goodman has steak in the same quality as Hawksmoor. Barrafina has pretty good tapas and Koya has nice udon. am a fan of the food at Lurra too, and they have a courtyard in the back where you can have a cigar after your meal.

For bars, my favourite is Churchill bar and terrace at Hyatt Regency. You can BYOC with a minimum spend of around 30 quid. Their scotch eggs are fantastic too.

Awesome, thanks for the info and tips!  Good to see BYOC is still generally acceptable, I need to start planning what to bring.  Is smoking generally acceptable at all outside patio's and whatnot?  Was super surprised in Greece where ashtrays were always provided!

11 hours ago, dshot said:

Find AJ Patel. That would be my recommendation LCDH Teddington or Cavendish. I'm not sure where he is these days. I haven't been visiting since covid but the guy is seriously cigar yoda.

Yep think Cavendish is something I'll def check out!  Think earlier someone recommended that you find AJ and just tell him to pick you a cigar that's smoking well and just eat cup noodles for a month to pay for it 😂

Had to ask my British friend...guess Sunday roasts are only done on Sundays?  Only there for 1 Sunday, so if Blacklock falls through then Hawksmoor it is!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Smoking outside places is generally ok. But it's subjective so some places may be designated no smoking.

You can get roast dinner/lunch at other times. Example Toby carvery 🤣

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Try some old pubs, especially the ‘Prospect of Whitby..built around 1500.the rebuilt later but the original 400 year old floors.  It’s located on the banks of the Thames.

it’s located in the Warping area and is located near the famous ‘Tobbaco dock’ A famous early 1800’s tobacco warehouse that has been transformed into a extraordinary entertainment and food complex   Worth a visit…lots of FUN

https://www.tobaccodocklondon.com

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ROBT. said:

Try some old pubs, especially the ‘Prospect of Whitby..built around 1500.the rebuilt later but the original 400 year old floors.  It’s located on the banks of the Thames.

it’s located in the Warping area and is located near the famous ‘Tobbaco dock’ A famous early 1800’s tobacco warehouse that has been transformed into a extraordinary entertainment and food complex   Worth a visit…lots of FUN

https://www.tobaccodocklondon.com

 

 

 

 

Sounds cool, can check out when I'm in the area.  Thanks!

7 hours ago, RDB said:

I've lived in London for 25 years, and travelled a lot too. London is a very safe city by international standards. Of course you need to exercise basic common sense, so don't leave your valuables lying around, and I'm not sure I'd wander about all day with a $50k watch on display. But there's no 'epidemic of robbery' or any such thing.  

Some food recommendations: yes to Hawksmoor for steak, and on Mondays they do £5 corkage, which can make for a very good value meal out f you BYOB. If you want a great high end dining experience, you could try La Trompette in Chiswick or the Glasshouse in Kew (which would be nice alongside a visit to Kew Gardens). There are so many great restaurants in London, just stay away from all the chains and hotels (destination places in high end hotels obviously excepted). But be warned, you will need to book in advance for anywhere good at the busy times. Don't expect to be able to sort it at the last minute. Lunch is much easier, and booking very early in the evening for dinner can work too.  

I know you said no museums... but the British Museum is one of the greatest in the world. Hard not to love the Egyptian and Greek stuff in there, but it is a universe. National Gallery and Tate galleries likewise. My personal favourite is the John Soane Museum, which is the unique product of a singular imagination. 

Avoid the Shard: it's an overpriced, tasteless tourist trap. And actually all the rubbish manufactured 'tourist attractions' like the aquarium, the London Dungeon, Madame Tussauds etc.

A walk along the South Bank of the river, all the way from say Vauxhall to Tower Bridge, would give you a very interesting view of the city.

A walk through the three central parks, from St James, through Green Park, and into Hyde Park, is cool. And you see Buckingham Palace on the way.

The London Eye is quite fun for a high up view, and only takes an hour.

National Gallery and Festival Hall for more classic arts performance, and if you like Shakespeare then the Globe is just wonderful.

It's an inexhaustible city. Enjoy!

Great, thanks for the writeup!  Yep I leave in a couple days so I figure I'll try to see if I can get more reservations for next week tomorrow - noticed sometimes a 1 person reservation isn't an option 😕  Figured I'd try to go to a place that has Michelin star(s).  Also yep usually go early evening or much later since as I rarely do reservations.

Eh we'll see, from my weather app, I can already see sunday and monday looks like rain all day - if I run out of indoor places then I may add museums as thing to do.  Hopefully it dries up after that but my phone only goes till Monday haha.  

Ahh see the Shard was for the viewpoint of the city and so is the London Eye.  Nice walk along the river sounds great to me!  I think there was a combo London Eye and River boat tour that I was considering.

Yup I def noticed those parks and Buckingham Palace are right next to each other and that'll be a nice way to spend an afternoon!  Several cigar shops/lounges along the way too!

Yep theatre was suggested, which I'd consider if it's raining and I want to do more indoor stuff.  This would be ahead of museums for me lol.

Thanks!  Getting closer and closer!  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChangBang said:

Sounds cool, can check out when I'm in the area.  Thanks!

Great, thanks for the writeup!  Yep I leave in a couple days so I figure I'll try to see if I can get more reservations for next week tomorrow - noticed sometimes a 1 person reservation isn't an option 😕  Figured I'd try to go to a place that has Michelin star(s).  Also yep usually go early evening or much later since as I rarely do reservations.

Eh we'll see, from my weather app, I can already see sunday and monday looks like rain all day - if I run out of indoor places then I may add museums as thing to do.  Hopefully it dries up after that but my phone only goes till Monday haha.  

Ahh see the Shard was for the viewpoint of the city and so is the London Eye.  Nice walk along the river sounds great to me!  I think there was a combo London Eye and River boat tour that I was considering.

Yup I def noticed those parks and Buckingham Palace are right next to each other and that'll be a nice way to spend an afternoon!  Several cigar shops/lounges along the way too!

Yep theatre was suggested, which I'd consider if it's raining and I want to do more indoor stuff.  This would be ahead of museums for me lol.

Thanks!  Getting closer and closer!  

 

1 hour ago, ChangBang said:

Sounds cool, can check out when I'm in the area.  Thanks!

Great, thanks for the writeup!  Yep I leave in a couple days so I figure I'll try to see if I can get more reservations for next week tomorrow - noticed sometimes a 1 person reservation isn't an option 😕  Figured I'd try to go to a place that has Michelin star(s).  Also yep usually go early evening or much later since as I rarely do reservations.

Eh we'll see, from my weather app, I can already see sunday and monday looks like rain all day - if I run out of indoor places then I may add museums as thing to do.  Hopefully it dries up after that but my phone only goes till Monday haha.  

Ahh see the Shard was for the viewpoint of the city and so is the London Eye.  Nice walk along the river sounds great to me!  I think there was a combo London Eye and River boat tour that I was considering.

Yup I def noticed those parks and Buckingham Palace are right next to each other and that'll be a nice way to spend an afternoon!  Several cigar shops/lounges along the way too!

Yep theatre was suggested, which I'd consider if it's raining and I want to do more indoor stuff.  This would be ahead of museums for me lol.

Thanks!  Getting closer and closer!  


 

Have a great trip..

The London EYE is next door to the great old Marriot Hotel.  Don’t laugh,😎 it was an old government building and was renovated to a wonderful hotel.

.So, anyone with Marriott Points  you can get a room.  Your  view could be looking across the Westminster Bridge and having a birds-eye view of the Houses of Parliament and Elizabeth Tower that holds Big Ben.  Just to let you know, if you go to the House of Parliament go around to the entrance, walk up to the guard and ask him politely if you can visit inside.    Twice I did and both times I gained entrance.. what a historic building.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChangBang said:

sunday and monday looks like rain all day

make sure you pack a wind/waterproof hoodie, and warm pants. usually the "rain" isn't that heavy and you can still walk around most of the day. i find that a scarf helps too. if you use an umbrella, be prepared for it to flip inside out!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ROBT. said:

 


 

Have a great trip..

The London EYE is next door to the great old Marriot Hotel.  Don’t laugh,😎 it was an old government building and was renovated to a wonderful hotel.

.So, anyone with Marriott Points  you can get a room.  Your  view could be looking across the Westminster Bridge and having a birds-eye view of the Houses of Parliament and Elizabeth Tower that holds Big Ben.  Just to let you know, if you go to the House of Parliament go around to the entrance, walk up to the guard and ask him politely if you can visit inside.    Twice I did and both times I gained entrance.. what a historic building.

 

Yea I took a look at what points I could use - 60k a night was a bit steep for me!  I ended up going cheap averaging about $75 a night.  

Nice thanks for the tip, I'll have to see if I can go inside!

9 hours ago, Meklown said:

make sure you pack a wind/waterproof hoodie, and warm pants. usually the "rain" isn't that heavy and you can still walk around most of the day. i find that a scarf helps too. if you use an umbrella, be prepared for it to flip inside out!

Oh yea?  Umbrellas pretty useless out there?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a brand new iPhone XS nicked off of my table in a pub in London  about 3 years ago. My bad, it shoulda been in my pocket. Don't leave your phone on the table while you are enjoying yourself, in London or anywhere. I didn't do cigars places while I was there but I did spend a bit of time in Harrods.  Steak Frites for lunch  in the Grill followed up by a cigar in the JJ Fox LCDH Harrods would be a good way to spend an afternoon.......But it won't be cheap.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The weather in London is pretty mild tbh. Autumn and winter quite dark and damp, but nothing extreme - or very rarely! Umbrellas are usually absolutely fine.

Smoking in town is really hard, and buying cigars here is really expensive. You’ve had a good set of recs I think. I smoke in my garden, with stuff bought from FoH.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ChangBang said:

Oh yea?  Umbrellas pretty useless out there?

Haha, not completely useless but just be prepared to face random gusts that will flip them over. It's just that 80% of the time the rain is light enough that a hoodie will suffice. Like @RDBsaid, pretty mild weather compared to a lot of places

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2021 at 8:05 AM, ChangBang said:

A Sir Winston at Churchill's. Thanks for the tip!  Too bad scotch eggs are no longer served 😕

That's pretty frickin cool not gonna lie!!! That's on my bucket list when I finally visit on the other side of the pond. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2021 at 11:14 AM, ha_banos said:

So was wondering how it went!? What did you make of everything? Met any expectations?

Great trip!  Kind of as I thought and didn't have too much time for cigars.  Managed to go to Churchills and Corinthia hotel twice.  I preferred Corinthia as they had a more covered smoking area - it rained most nights I was there and I did occasionally get a little wet in Churchills.  Sightseeing wise I did:

London eye

Thames boat cruise

borough market

Buckingham palace and the surrounding parks

Richmond park with the wild deer

London bridge

Prospect of Whibly

Westminster abbey

Sky Garden(didn't realize I would need to book the free viewing tickets weeks in advance...booked a fancy lunch at the French restaurant so I could go a day before)

Covent garden

millennium bridge

Trafalgar square and Leicester square

Brick lane for indian

Sunday Roast at blacklock

Fish and Chips at poppies

Full English Breakfast at the regency cafe

Coffee at hideaway and Monmouth

Seems like I didn't scratch the surface with all the restaurants and bars there!  Don't need to spend a ton more time there but if I have a long layover or a night or two stopover, I wouldn't mind haha.

Thanks for all the tips, def appreciate them from everyone!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.