Bunching: Book, Accordian and Entubado methods

5 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Can we get a review on the deck using the traditional nose pipe when @Ken Gargett is back rocking and rolling?

if you mean my old deck, consigned to history. we will have a new area - need to work out a name for it - which will (technology and the divinity of the dancing wombats permitting) have a retractable roof. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

if you mean my old deck, consigned to history. we will have a new area - need to work out a name for it - which will (technology and the divinity of the dancing wombats permitting) have a retractable roof. 

If you don't mind me asking, I'm not sure if it was mentioned but what has happened to chez gargett? Just a house move/renovation?

4 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

If you don't mind me asking, I'm not sure if it was mentioned but what has happened to chez gargett? Just a house move/renovation?

not a question you really want to ask - the long answer is hours. the short one is...

i have known for ages that it was time to either do massive reno's or to move. to be honest, a full and proper reno could have been anywhere from $120,000 to $200,000. which was too much for me. when i got robbed mid last year, i realised it was time. the insurance people were really good so even though i lost heaps, i had some cash to start the process of moving. nightmare. idiots were coming and saying they were not sure how they'd subdivide the land. several of them. legally, my block was far too small to subdivide and it was completely impractical.

made sure i made it clear to everyone that this was a place in need of a lot of work. the amount of work put a lot off. the real work would have been in the struts etc, holding it up. in hindsight, how the hell the place never fell down is beyond me. finally got an okay offer from a young couple. had a back-up offer, but they got a builder in and he basically said he thought i should move out immediately for my own safety (load of nonsense). thought the place would come down any time from immediately to the next few years - at that stage, i'd already moved several tonnes of wine and stuff out! the young couple didn't care. they didn't want inspections. they just wanted a place they could work on over the next few years while they lived at their mum's. 

as much as i loved that creek and its life, it always terrified me. big floods were so dangerous and if a log got caught across the creek, i could easily see the entire place going. in that case, a big flood (they are not uncommon and i have no doubt with climate change, we'll get more and worse ones), being turned to matchsticks. 

anyway, it took 8 extensions to get settlement over the line. largely they kept having trouble with finance but my bank also stuffed up badly - lost the docs. their bank lost the docs. my bank sent the docs to the wrong branch not once but twice. eventually settled. my idiot bank was so awful that they gave me a payment of a couple of thou as an apology. in all my years as a lawyer, i'd never heard of that.

finding a new place took ages - hence, why i am at the family shack in northern nsw. when i did, took a while to agree a contract. then i got locked out of qld and the vendor decided he wanted out. tried all manner of things. my bank was useless again. a farce. day of settlement, as the cheques had the vendor's wife's middle name with an 'i' instead of a 'y' (she is chinese, he was a grumpy old aussie - even his agent detested him), he claimed he could collapse the contract and keep my deposit. he couldn't but he tried and we had to threaten the supreme court. he eventually caved. doctors say it was all this stress which gave me these shingles. and my bank, they were so embarrassed at their incompetence that they gave me a payment of several thou as an apology. incredible. 

and yes, that is the short version. 

On 10/17/2021 at 3:08 AM, Ken Gargett said:

not a question you really want to ask - the long answer is hours. the short one is...

i have known for ages that it was time to either do massive reno's or to move. to be honest, a full and proper reno could have been anywhere from $120,000 to $200,000. which was too much for me. when i got robbed mid last year, i realised it was time. the insurance people were really good so even though i lost heaps, i had some cash to start the process of moving. nightmare. idiots were coming and saying they were not sure how they'd subdivide the land. several of them. legally, my block was far too small to subdivide and it was completely impractical.

made sure i made it clear to everyone that this was a place in need of a lot of work. the amount of work put a lot off. the real work would have been in the struts etc, holding it up. in hindsight, how the hell the place never fell down is beyond me. finally got an okay offer from a young couple. had a back-up offer, but they got a builder in and he basically said he thought i should move out immediately for my own safety (load of nonsense). thought the place would come down any time from immediately to the next few years - at that stage, i'd already moved several tonnes of wine and stuff out! the young couple didn't care. they didn't want inspections. they just wanted a place they could work on over the next few years while they lived at their mum's. 

as much as i loved that creek and its life, it always terrified me. big floods were so dangerous and if a log got caught across the creek, i could easily see the entire place going. in that case, a big flood (they are not uncommon and i have no doubt with climate change, we'll get more and worse ones), being turned to matchsticks. 

anyway, it took 8 extensions to get settlement over the line. largely they kept having trouble with finance but my bank also stuffed up badly - lost the docs. their bank lost the docs. my bank sent the docs to the wrong branch not once but twice. eventually settled. my idiot bank was so awful that they gave me a payment of a couple of thou as an apology. in all my years as a lawyer, i'd never heard of that.

finding a new place took ages - hence, why i am at the family shack in northern nsw. when i did, took a while to agree a contract. then i got locked out of qld and the vendor decided he wanted out. tried all manner of things. my bank was useless again. a farce. day of settlement, as the cheques had the vendor's wife's middle name with an 'i' instead of a 'y' (she is chinese, he was a grumpy old aussie - even his agent detested him), he claimed he could collapse the contract and keep my deposit. he couldn't but he tried and we had to threaten the supreme court. he eventually caved. doctors say it was all this stress which gave me these shingles. and my bank, they were so embarrassed at their incompetence that they gave me a payment of several thou as an apology. incredible. 

and yes, that is the short version. 

Cripes I missed quite a bit it seems, didn't even hear about the robbery, sorry you went through all that. It never rains but it pours, I suppose it's good that it didn't rain by the sound of it! 

I'd say looking in from the outside that the peace of mind you're getting by not having the fear of being swept away in the night always in the back of the mind will be worth the upheaval, not quite sure it will go into the 'look back at it and laugh' box for a while though

When are you expecting to get into the new digs? Plague related issues aside

35 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Cripes I missed quite a bit it seems, didn't even hear about the robbery, sorry you went through all that. It never rains but it pours, I suppose it's good that it didn't rain by the sound of it! 

I'd say looking in from the outside that the peace of mind you're getting by not having the fear of being swept away in the night always in the back of the mind will be worth the upheaval, not quite sure it will go into the 'look back at it and laugh' box for a while though

When are you expecting to get into the new digs? Plague related issues aside

not sure i mentioned the robbery - not much one can do.

hopefully be sorted by early next year! 

• Like 1