SLR serie A vintage 2001

I have never smoked a serie A, let alone an example from that sort of year. 
An opportunity has arisen to purchase a box from that year at a reasonable price

what flavour profile can I expect? 
I’ve had other vintages of such years only to find the flavours were boring and muted.  Will this be the same?

59 minutes ago, dan benhamou said:

I have never smoked a serie A, let alone an example from that sort of year. 
An opportunity has arisen to purchase a box from that year at a reasonable price

what flavour profile can I expect? 
I’ve had other vintages of such years only to find the flavours were boring and muted.  Will this be the same?

You can't talk someone down from a purchase like this.   I bought a 2006 box of Serie A, and was far from impressed and moved the remainder of the box on.  The reality is the Serie A was part of a group of largely looked over cigars that would collect dust on the shelf.   I think I know where you are going buy these from, and they've been up for sale for months and months, that should give you something to think on.    If they were  genuinely awesome the 'all seeing eye' of the cigar world would have already snapped them up. 

Again, you go where your heart takes you, but my personal advice would be,  the 2 best examples of an SLR profile would be A, current Regios 20&21 (although they are a fair bit stronger),  and oddly aged Upmann Mag 50's.     If you can find Upmann Mag 50's from say 2008 or 2009 etc  you will have a cigar that will be sweet with overripe fruits, like melon and apricot.   I also hunted down and bought SLR Double Coronas,  they are nice cigars, but increasingly reviewers are reporting back they have often fallen off the cliff. Aged Upmann Mag 50s are just peaking, and they give lots of those SLRDC flavours

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

sublte flavours. It is a "love it or hate it" experience. 

Find somewhere in London selling an aged stick and try it. 

I wouldn't hesitate in picking up a cab. Dress box from 2001.....less so. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 99call said:

If you can find Upmann Mag 50's from say 2008 or 2009 etc  you will have a cigar that will be sweet with overripe fruits, like melon and apricot.  

I have tried some from this period and completely agree with the pronounced stone fruit element they offer, I have an unopened box in the collection, are they really hitting peak now? should I sample to find out or wait a little longer?