Cigar drought in Spain.

It'll be interesting to see how much market share is permanently lost to NC's. 

I was speaking with a good friend of mine and a cigar enthusiast. For him, the perfect draw and construction are the most important part of his cigar enjoyment. And he smokes basically nothing but Davidoff and Arturo Fuente. I wonder how many others outside of the states are like that and wont come back into CC's? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, loose_axle said:

Agreed. Flavour is all for me. The rest can be managed one way or another. To be honest though I prob only have one or two a box that need fixing. Don't know whether I'm lucky or its just storing at a good temp and humidity curbing the problem... 

That'd be luck, unless you only have two boxes.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

Yup, I mentioned in the other thread that my inlaws were in Paris for 10 days and I asked if they'd grab me some QdOs. Not only were there no QdOs, there were no boxes available of anything. Very sad.

I’m currently in Paris and they almost have nothing Cuban ! Some partagas/ryj/monte/Ramon allones and few Trinidad in some of the shops but that’s it. Most of the shelves that le civette  used to stock Cubans is now nc! 

they told me they’ve received the qdo regional but few boxes and sold out quickly. They’re not expecting any shipments soon 

• Sad 5

Yet we have seen altidis selling through pcc for a while🙃 

Been shopping in Berlin and Hamburg this autumn, and when it comes to cohiba, trinidad and larger formats in general it was the same situation - hope they’re piling up in Havana, just about to flood the markets 🤗

Found half box of RA Sir Henry and some hdm dc - other than that mostly smaller formats

1 hour ago, Troels said:

hope they’re piling up in Havana, just about to flood the markets

Can only hope so. My purchasing is currently paused until some sensible pricing returns. Production has been ramping back up so it has to start flowing in soon. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, djrey said:

Can only hope so. My purchasing is currently paused until some sensible pricing returns. Production has been ramping back up so it has to start flowing in soon. 

Sensible pricing is likely done. Those willing to pay $280usd for a box of RASS, PSD4, BRC etc will likely never see $200/box again. In fact 280 will likely rise to $300 soon. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

Sensible pricing is likely done. Those willing to pay $280usd for a box of RASS, PSD4, BRC etc will likely never see $200/box again. In fact 280 will likely rise to $300 soon. 

One can only hope that eventually people will just say no to these prices and inventory will start stacking up unsold. I still feel like it will work it self out eventually. If you price out half your market, inventory will sit. I doubt all cigar smokers are capable of dishing out $300+ a box. 

Currently with limited inventory only a select few (those willing to pay the inflated prices) are purchasing while the majority sit back. Once production is back online and supplies return, prices will need to lower to bring back the lost market. Especially if NC cigars are starting to compete, which can be had for much less money. 

2 hours ago, NYgarman said:

absolutely.  if the market will bear it, that's where the price will stay.  seems like things are flying off the shelves even more at these crazy prices due to FOMO and the limited supply

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

• The "glory days" for Cuban cigar lovers will be referred to as pre 2019

What defines those "glory days" for you?

The risk to the Habanos brand currently is not so much from consumers but from B&M retailers. 

They are rightfully angry. 

It is unlikely that they will abandon NC once CC supply comes back online.  They have learnt a lesson. 

16 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

• There is plenty of tobacco

You think they'll keep producing smaller brands/vitolas?  Or streamline most of that tobacco into popular sizes and brands in order to boost sales on the heels of cashflow stasis?

Just now, oneizzzz said:

You think they'll keep producing smaller brands/vitolas?  Or streamline most of that tobacco into popular sizes and brands in order to boost sales on the heels of cashflow stasis?

what would you do in their position?

Look don’t want to go back down this rabbit hole but there are really two different sets of price increases - premium and non premium. The latter isn’t especially outrageous and probably brings those Habanos more into line with the pricing seen in NCs. The price hikes in Cohiba have been laughable though. If the market can sustain $50 Siglo V’s after stock returns to normal, then retailers were doing something seriously wrong before COVID. Competition should relax those prices, unless HSA just cuts production to keep supply as tight as it is now, which wouldn’t make much sense. 

• Like 1

Just now, El Presidente said:

what would you do in their position?

Lol, well the latter sounds smarter from an economic perspective.  Connoisseur choices and rare premium sticks would command a premium price, but would be a drop in the bucket in terms of global profit.  Channel all that tobacco into consistent, high quality big hitters for each brand.  Rebuild.

12 minutes ago, MrBirdman said:

The price hikes in Cohiba have been laughable though. 

We haven't been laughing :D

21%  in the last 3 years 

21% on regular lines

28% on Esplendido/VI/V/Lancero  and a few others that I can't recall.