Choose your Locker Room's World Champ Champers

World Champ Champers (see post for explanation)  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Astros-Sox has ended with a Game 6 shutout and, of course, a champagne celebration for the Pennant winners in their locker room. I finally recognized and perhaps lamented a bit that these celebrations have gone from intimate celebrations of a team's triumph to what they are now: a part of the entertainment. But hey if the players enjoy them that's what matters - though I'll never get on board with champagne spraying after merely winning the division or even the NLDS. 

With this particular celebration on in the background, I caught a glimpse of the bottles and, between the distance and my astigmatism, thought they were using bottles of Comtes de Champagne - a glorious blanc de blanc. The 2008 is out now and it would've be hard to see that much being wasted. I quickly got close enough to the TV to ascertain that it was actually just Moet, my least favorite of the major houses' NV. I then began to wonder what champagne I would want in the locker room (my best shot at MLB would probably be as owner after winning the lottery... twice).

Let's assume you're getting around 500 bottles, 95% of whose contents of will end up everywhere but someone's mouth. Your choice will have no impact on what you can drink later, but you can't take any with you.  Do you go with the finest and embrace spraying such precious liquid away? Or would go with something like Moet, because wasting something better would pain you too much to enjoy yourself? 

• Like 2

• MrBirdman changed the title to Choose your Locker Room's World Champ Champers

comtesblancdeblanc.jpg.7e35ca59d7ca3bde1cdc7a4190afb5a4.jpg

Wow...this is the second reference to Tattinger Comtes de Champagne in a week! You know our own @Ken Gargett was drinking a few glasses of this glorious champagne with cigars just recently! I think GOD or the universe is telling me something (as in...get myself one bottle for Christmas!)

You'd like to think that US professional sporting teams would apply some form of common sense to the purchase of champagne for celebrating a pennant, World Series win, Stanley Cup title, Superbowl victory, NBA Championship etc but we all know these things 'go out the window' when the time actually comes!

I'd advocate a mix of the real good stuff, that is, Krug and Luis Roederer Cristal. Bad luck if any players or support staff are dying for the Dom Perignon. At least if anyone has an aversion to Krug they can drink the Cristal or vice versa. It's a beautiful Hobson's Choice scenario, in my mind, @MrBirdman!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MrBirdman said:

Astros-Sox has ended with a Game 6 shutout and, of course, a champagne celebration for the Pennant winners in their locker room. I finally recognized and perhaps lamented a bit that these celebrations have gone from intimate celebrations of a team's triumph to what they are now: a part of the entertainment. But hey if the players enjoy them that's what matters - though I'll never get on board with champagne spraying after merely winning the division or even the NLDS. 

With this particular celebration on in the background, I caught a glimpse of the bottles and, between the distance and my astigmatism, thought they were using bottles of Comtes de Champagne - a glorious blanc de blanc. The 2008 is out now and it would've be hard to see that much being wasted. I quickly got close enough to the TV to ascertain that it was actually just Moet, my least favorite of the major houses' NV. I then began to wonder what champagne I would want in the locker room (my best shot at MLB would probably be as owner after winning the lottery... twice).

Let's assume you're getting around 500 bottles, 95% of whose contents of will end up everywhere but someone's mouth. Your choice will have no impact on what you can drink later, but you can't take any with you.  Do you go with the finest and embrace spraying such precious liquid away? Or would go with something like Moet, because wasting something better would pain you too much to enjoy yourself? 

the 08 comtes is truly one of the greats. the 2011 is also out - not seen it and no one really sure why it was released as it is a very dodgy vintage but there are some good reports. 

i'll stick up a hand to defend Moet. the current chef de cave has been there about 20 years now and he has made serious improvements, but very gradually. worth sticking a bottle into a blind line-up and then seeing what you think. i'll bet you are shocked! 

you didn't name vintages for cristal and krug (or is krug nv?). so i went for the ambonnay 2002. it is a champagne i am yet to try. though a critical tasting of chamange may not be the highest priority at the time. 

25 minutes ago, SirVantes said:

If you can even think about spraying champagne under any circumstances, then you may as well go for Armand de Brignac.

Or mentos and a PET bottle of coke.

even better. although i'd still like to try the ambonnay at someone else's expense. 

13 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

you didn't name vintages for cristal and krug

Fair enough - it’s regrettable how much of the former is consumed young without regard to vintage. I think most Roederer needs more time than others.

15 hours ago, MrBirdman said:

Why waste 500 bottles? Seems excessive... 50 would probably still be too many.

Just now, Bijan said:

Why waste 500 bottles? Seems excessive... 50 would probably still be too many.

Apparently the usual count is 300-500 for these celebrations. 

Just now, MrBirdman said:

Apparently the usual count is 300-500 for these celebrations. 

Wow!

Unless everyone really gets into I can't imagine getting through all the bottles without it starting to feel like a chore. If half the players are done after 2-3 bottles, the other half are popping what 20+ bottles?

20 minutes ago, MrBirdman said:

Fair enough - it’s regrettable how much of the former is consumed young without regard to vintage. I think most Roederer needs more time than others.

the krug also can do with time but i agree with you about roederer. that said, the blame is largely on themselves. they release cristal far earlier than most prestige champagnes and also many vintage ones (thier 08 the one exception). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

the krug also can do with time but i agree with you about roederer. that said, the blame is largely on themselves. they release cristal far earlier than most prestige champagnes and also many vintage ones (thier 08 the one exception). 

That’s certainly true, a financial decision I suppose. Although nobody critiques red wine producers for releasing their wines young - that’s wine I guess.

I think Roederer doesn’t keep their wine on lees very long for stylistic reasons. Lecaillon doesn’t seem to be going for overt flavors of autolysis - what I hear from him is always purity and freshness. And I think it works. Just tried my first bottle of their 2014 Rosé and it’s excellent, wouldn’t want any more lees age than it has now. 2014 could prove to be an underrated vintage just like ‘13 is turning out to be. 

24 minutes ago, MrBirdman said:

That’s certainly true, a financial decision I suppose. Although nobody critiques red wine producers for releasing their wines young - that’s wine I guess.

I think Roederer doesn’t keep their wine on lees very long for stylistic reasons. Lecaillon doesn’t seem to be going for overt flavors of autolysis - what I hear from him is always purity and freshness. And I think it works. Just tried my first bottle of their 2014 Rosé and it’s excellent, wouldn’t want any more lees age than it has now. 2014 could prove to be an underrated vintage just like ‘13 is turning out to be. 

whatever the reason, it is not financial. these guys are drowning in dosh. 

more, as you suggest, a matter of when JBL thinks it is right to go.

the old brut premier, now discontinued and replaced by the 242, was made, according to JBL with the search for ripeness at the forefront. climate change has meant that they no longer need to worry so much about ripeness. now the key is getting freshness and hence the tinkering with the style. the man is a genius. 

I collect champagne and have been lucky enough to try the Clos d'Ambonnay and Clos du Mesnil (I actually prefer the Mesnil to the Ambonnay!)... Whenever I'm having a party I always lay on two lists - one for 'wine appreciators' and the other for 'I drink anything but wine but will do so because I have to'. House stock is usually Veuve Clicquout which I think is fantastic and is a general pleaser. The special stock (but not stratospheric) is Dom Perignon (02, 08, 04, 06, 05 in that order - not tried the 2010 yet although heard it is phenomenal).

I do like Comtes but would take a Krug NV over it any day. I concur with @Ken Gargett that Moet has got far far better although I still would be springing for something cheaper to spray in a locker room celebration. Not that I've ever been in a locker room, by choice :D

33 minutes ago, stevenhaugen said:

I collect champagne and have been lucky enough to try the Clos d'Ambonnay and Clos du Mesnil (I actually prefer the Mesnil to the Ambonnay!)... Whenever I'm having a party I always lay on two lists - one for 'wine appreciators' and the other for 'I drink anything but wine but will do so because I have to'. House stock is usually Veuve Clicquout which I think is fantastic and is a general pleaser. The special stock (but not stratospheric) is Dom Perignon (02, 08, 04, 06, 05 in that order - not tried the 2010 yet although heard it is phenomenal).

I do like Comtes but would take a Krug NV over it any day. I concur with @Ken Gargett that Moet has got far far better although I still would be springing for something cheaper to spray in a locker room celebration. Not that I've ever been in a locker room, by choice :D

lucky man. i did see the clos des mesnils fairly regularly in the early days. rarely now. i'd largely agree with your order for dom. i'd swap 02 and 08, but that is because i am a massive fan of 08s.  i think 10 probably between 06 and 05. 12 might challenge the lot. agree re VC. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

lucky man. i did see the clos des mesnils fairly regularly in the early days. rarely now. i'd largely agree with your order for dom. i'd swap 02 and 08, but that is because i am a massive fan of 08s.  i think 10 probably between 06 and 05. 12 might challenge the lot. agree re VC. 

One we've not mentioned yet, which is my real favourite, is the Pol Roger Sir Winnie 08 (the 04 and 02 are also sublime). I did a vertical of Dom's a few months back and I marked the 02 higher than the 08 but then I was half pissed at the time :D

Based on what I've heard, the '10 Dom is super easy to drink (not the finest of vintages) and I reckon pairs brilliantly with a La Fuerza - don't know why, my palate isn't nearly as developed as yours or Robs.

I still think the '08's are too young, but they will probably outlive me!

22 hours ago, stevenhaugen said:

One we've not mentioned yet, which is my real favourite, is the Pol Roger Sir Winnie 08 (the 04 and 02 are also sublime). I did a vertical of Dom's a few months back and I marked the 02 higher than the 08 but then I was half pissed at the time :D

Based on what I've heard, the '10 Dom is super easy to drink (not the finest of vintages) and I reckon pairs brilliantly with a La Fuerza - don't know why, my palate isn't nearly as developed as yours or Robs.

I think Dom is one 08 that can really be drunk now. It’s remarkably drinkable. Will it improve? Of course. But the acidity is much more integrated at this point than Bolly or the Cristal. It’s just missing some of the deep Dom yeastiness right now.

Speaking of Bolly, I’d buy the 2012 over the Dom 2010 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The latter is drinkable now, yes, but has some strange overripe flavors. The 2012 Bollinger is awesome - that laser-like 2012 acidity is well integrated and yet it clearly has legs to develop for years. The 08 will probably overtake it down the line, but for now the 2012 is hard to resist. The only ‘10’s I’ve had that were good came from Chardonnay houses - I’m eager for the Dom Ruinart release, Panaiotis is high on it and they switched to lees aging on cork.

As for Krug, their greatest wine is and will probably always be Grand Cuvée. Master blending is the hallmark of the house. I’ve never had Clos d’Ambonnay,but find CdM like Salon doesn’t really represent an appreciable difference in quality compared to something like CdC. Even Krug says up front the difference in prices between their wines is solely a reflection of relative scarcity, not quality. 

On 10/24/2021 at 8:23 AM, Bijan said:

Wow!

Unless everyone really gets into I can't imagine getting through all the bottles without it starting to feel like a chore. If half the players are done after 2-3 bottles, the other half are popping what 20+ bottles?

I think they let some staff and family in, since I saw a few gals spraying bottles in the Astros locker room.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, stevenhaugen said:

agree re the 08s but they are still amazing now. just going to get better and better. 

did the sir winnie 12 recently. that might just be their best ever. 

18 hours ago, MrBirdman said:

I think Dom is one 08 that can really be drunk now. It’s remarkably drinkable. Will it improve? Of course. But the acidity is much more integrated at this point than Bolly or the Cristal. It’s just missing some of the deep Dom yeastiness right now.

Speaking of Bolly, I’d buy the 2012 over the Dom 2010 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The latter is drinkable now, yes, but has some strange overripe flavors. The 2012 Bollinger is awesome - that laser-like 2012 acidity is well integrated and yet it clearly has legs to develop for years. The 08 will probably overtake it down the line, but for now the 2012 is hard to resist. The only ‘10’s I’ve had that were good came from Chardonnay houses - I’m eager for the Dom Ruinart release, Panaiotis is high on it and they switched to lees aging on cork.

As for Krug, their greatest wine is and will probably always be Grand Cuvée. Master blending is the hallmark of the house. I’ve never had Clos d’Ambonnay,but find CdM like Salon doesn’t really represent an appreciable difference in quality compared to something like CdC. Even Krug says up front the difference in prices between their wines is solely a reflection of relative scarcity, not quality. 

krug has always said that is the their best champagne - the grand cuvee. always wonderful. love the new numbering concept. 

i'd take almost any 12 over anything from 10. 08 and 12 are streets ahead of the surrounding years. 13 been a surprise though. 

salon is always pretty spectacular. hard to beat but now so expensive. 

55 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

i'd take almost any 12 over anything from 10. 08 and 12 are streets ahead of the surrounding years. 13 been a surprise though. 

‘13s are pretty reticent but I think they’ll age magnificently. Stock up on ‘12 and ‘13 because it’s looking like 2015 will prove to be a dud after a lot of post-harvest hype. 18/19/20 right now has the makings of a legendary trilogy, eager to try some of the 2018-based NV next year. Not eager to see the prices by the time the vintage’s prestige cuvées are released.

• Like 1