if you are silly enough to pay 20,000 quid for 03 bordeaux, even if it is petrus, you get what you deserve.

Furious Diner Left Stunned By £37,000 Bill At Salt Bae’s New London Restaurant

A shocked customer bit off more than they could chew at Salt Bae’s new London outpost, Nusr-Et, after they were left with an eye-watering £37,000 bill. 

The sky-high prices at social media sensation Salt Bae’s new London restaurant have already raised many eyebrows, but one customer’s astronomical bill has left everyone flabbergasted.

As a debate over Nusr-Et’s costly gold-adorned steaks raged on social media with some suggesting the £37,000 bill must be a “PR stunt”, the party of four themselves were presumably left rueing their life choices.

The bill amounted to a shocking £37,023 according to a post shared to Reddit and reported by numerous news outlets including The Independent

“Nusr-Et steakhouse now this is just outrageous…” The Reddit post reads, while the original Snapchat image of the receipt is simply captioned, “That’s just taking the p*ss.”

The party of four certainly didn’t scrimp on high tariff items, choosing one of the 24-carat gold tomahawk steaks, which alone sets you back £850.

And when it came to the wine, the group certainly had expensive taste.

The itemised bill shows that the party of four enjoyed a 1996 Petrus priced at £9,100, two bottles of 2003 Petrus at a total cost of £19,900, and two bottles of Dom Pérignon Rosé 2006 for £1,620. Quite a lineup.

Reddit commenters were quick to express their outrage at the whole affair.

“I am not sure what I find more scandalous, that this place charges astronomical prices for pub quality menu, or that there are people convinced that this is actually good cuisine,” one Redditor wrote.

Another commenter thought they’d sniffed out a PR stunt, though, writing, “no one who buys Petrus or a LITERALLY gold encrusted steak is going to be shocked at the price of either of those two things”.

Meanwhile, celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay has been blasted for pricing fish and chips at £32 at his new London restaurant inside The Savoy hotel.

• Like 2

These articles are nonsense. I've worked in the wine industry for 15 yrs and even though I will be the first to say Salt Bae is a clown of a chef, don't ever go to a restaurant and order Petrus and then complain of the bill price. As my grandfather used to say, "if you can't afford the gas, don't buy a Lincoln". 

1 minute ago, Bradr84 said:

These articles are nonsense. I've worked in the wine industry for 15 yrs and even though I will be the first to say Salt Bae is a clown of a chef, don't ever go to a restaurant and order Petrus and then complain of the bill price. As my grandfather used to say, "if you can't afford the gas, don't buy a Lincoln". 

exactly right. anyone ordering a bottle of petrus in a restaurant, let alone three, knows that the bill will be insane. 

1 minute ago, MrBirdman said:

I’m not listening to anyone complain about bills when it includes a “24K gold steak.” 

Asinine. 

i have never eaten at any of this bloke's places - and have never felt the tiniest desire to do so - but to me, it seems that he is someone who sees himself as the ultimate showman first and a chef second.

if you were interested, you could probably find a bottle of the 03 Petrus for around $4000 to $5000 aussie and the 96 similar. the dom rose probably around $600 aussie so for a  top london restaurant, those mark-ups are not out of the question. 

so don't bitch when the bill comes.

as for the food, gold steak? spare me. showman not chef. and you pay for that. 

• Like 2

Like 95% of entrepreneurialism these days,  the more you treat your clientele like POS, the more they seem to lap it up.     It's like something out of American Psycho.

It's sad, but you often find that in the current situation,  i.e.  times of crisis,       the rich often put the pedal to the metal in being grotesquely wasteful, it's like a badge of honour

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

Furious Diner Left Stunned By £37,000 Bill At Salt Bae’s New London Restaurant

A shocked customer bit off more than they could chew at Salt Bae’s new London outpost, Nusr-Et, after they were left with an eye-watering £37,000 bill. 

The sky-high prices at social media sensation Salt Bae’s new London restaurant have already raised many eyebrows, but one customer’s astronomical bill has left everyone flabbergasted.

As a debate over Nusr-Et’s costly gold-adorned steaks raged on social media with some suggesting the £37,000 bill must be a “PR stunt”, the party of four themselves were presumably left rueing their life choices.

The bill amounted to a shocking £37,023 according to a post shared to Reddit and reported by numerous news outlets including The Independent

“Nusr-Et steakhouse now this is just outrageous…” The Reddit post reads, while the original Snapchat image of the receipt is simply captioned, “That’s just taking the p*ss.”

The party of four certainly didn’t scrimp on high tariff items, choosing one of the 24-carat gold tomahawk steaks, which alone sets you back £850.

And when it came to the wine, the group certainly had expensive taste.

The itemised bill shows that the party of four enjoyed a 1996 Petrus priced at £9,100, two bottles of 2003 Petrus at a total cost of £19,900, and two bottles of Dom Pérignon Rosé 2006 for £1,620. Quite a lineup.

Reddit commenters were quick to express their outrage at the whole affair.

“I am not sure what I find more scandalous, that this place charges astronomical prices for pub quality menu, or that there are people convinced that this is actually good cuisine,” one Redditor wrote.

Another commenter thought they’d sniffed out a PR stunt, though, writing, “no one who buys Petrus or a LITERALLY gold encrusted steak is going to be shocked at the price of either of those two things”.

Meanwhile, celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay has been blasted for pricing fish and chips at £32 at his new London restaurant inside The Savoy hotel.

They should have selected the '05 Petrus... :D

I don't get it.

If the restaurant wants to charge $10,000 per steak as an example, you get up and leave or you pay.  How can anyone say they were shocked at the bill AFTER the meal?  And how can news services pick up the story like it matters?

Hell, I can go out tonight and spend $100,000 on a meal and complain about it with a picture of the receipt on social media.  Would that make me an international social-media celebrity or a moron?

"No Country for Old Men" might be my favorite phrase nowadays.  Society is moving to a place I don't understand anymore.  Glad I've got plenty of old friends.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

international social-media celebrity or a moron?

There's a difference? 

Yes, this guys is a joke of a "chef" the food is mediocre, the prices too high and I hope he keeps taking these idiots for every dime in their pockets. 

22 hours ago, 99call said:

It's sad, but you often find that in the current situation,  i.e.  times of crisis,       the rich often put the pedal to the metal in being grotesquely wasteful, it's like a badge of honour

Time's of Crisis? Not for the people spending this kind of money on "food" and wine. There's arguably been no better time. 

It smacks of the frantic shuffle when everyone realizes the music is about to stop...................

• Like 1

I have been to his place in Miami and New York, once each with groups…fought it the second time lol. Clearly a PR stunt I’d imagine, nobody would buy Petrus at this place and do the math on the bill. This restaurant is like a social media caricature…without a doubt the most ridiculously overpriced joke of a restaurant I have ever been to. Like give me a wedgie, smack me in the mouth, and charge me a thousand bucks. I have been to a bunch of multi Michelin star restaurants and I have often felt like it is the Emperor’s New Clothes. Jackson Pollock of food. But this place doesn’t even try. I guess they say “it is not the stupid people who sell it, it is the stupid people who buy it.” 

• Like 1